• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Free CNC machining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

acannell

NAXJA Forum User
I have a very small sherline cnc mill, and I'm looking for fun Jeep things to machine. I'm also into older chrysler k-cars, and on those forums I've started a thread like this and people have suggested lots of parts for those cars, and I've actually machined a couple and even sold a few.

The deal is, if its something I also want for my Jeep, or think I can sell, I will make it, and give the person who came up with the idea one for free. You have to be okay with me selling it though. It can take days to make fixtures, buy end mills, buy material, and sit there for hours while my tiny mill machines a part that if I'm lucky, I don't screw up on the first couple times, so I have to be able to at least try to make some of that back by selling the part.

Another bonus is that we may get parts for our Jeeps that real vendors may not care about enough to develop, since the market might be so teeny that its not worth it for them. But if I can make a hundred bucks, its worth it to me, because I need the practice, and thats a worthy chunk of change.

For instance, something I've been thinking of doing is making a drop-in replacement fuse box out of Noryl or some other appropriate plastic that would let use with clutch fluid rotted fuse box terminals do a relatively easy swap (cut wires, install new terminals, install into new fusebox) sorta swap replacement.

Heres the restrictions:

-I cant realistically machine steel.

-I _can_ realistically machine 6061-T6 aluminum, ABS, or softer materials.

-I can't make parts that require a machined outside profile of more than about 6" by 6", and even that's pushing it. In _very_ special circumstances, I could make fixturing that would allow me to make larger parts, but it would have to be a VERY attractive idea because its alot more work.

-If the part is aluminum, removing lots of material is something to be avoided. I.e. if you want me to machine out a 1" deep 3" x 3" pocket in 2" thick aluminum, thats probably not going to happen before my mill melts.

-If the part is plastic, things get alot easier. I can remove tons of material and make intricate shapes because I can run smaller mills fast and using big mills I can really hog out material.

-I know how to use Solidworks to parametrically design things, and make complex toolpaths for the machine, so suggest whatever you want! I can tell if its something I can make or not.

Heres a pic of an adapter I made which lets you connect a part of the head on an 80's k-car to another part of the cooling system. It uses an oring, and has a custom bolt pattern. Nothing like this existed before, but now that community has the option to do this modification rather easily when before it was a real kludge.

Ideas that really work for my mill are brackets, adapters, i.e. flat things with pockets, holes, or grooves in precise locations.

I can also TIG aluminum, which adds another aspect of possibilities to making more complex parts. And I have the usual drill press/bandsaw/etc....

photobucket-4572-1353015866395.jpg

photobucket-4599-1353026989898.jpg

photobucket-3175-1353026989217.jpg

photobucket-6375-1353029519946.jpg

photobucket-6126-1353029520577.jpg

tstatadapter.jpg

tstatadapterspecs.jpg

photobucket-6271-1352695108761.jpg

photobucket-1381-1352695108128.jpg

Last edited:
It's not really a Jeep part... But my dad has a pretty sweet JK grille keychain - it would be awesome to have an XJ grille keychain!

This is his exact keychain: http://www.allthingsjeep.com/jeep-j...-jk-keychain&gclid=COKc7ei0hLQCFYF7QgodVW8ABA

I'm sure you could use a lot of different materials to make one! :D

Edit: a quick google search shows that these already exist.. I think they're sweet though! http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/miscellaneous/1066783-jeep-grille-keychains-cj-yj-tj-jk-xj-etc.html

How about an Aluminum "XJ" emblem for the rear hatch, something to replace the current stock.

If I make one will you buy it? I'll make it to your specs. I can even make it have some curvature in the z axis so its not flat if you like, and I'll polish it too.

Is this a common need?

Is it appropriate for it to be a machined part, or would a formed sheet metal part make more sense?

Wouldn't your ignition coil be a little happier not sitting right next to a hot block? Anybody can make a flimsy bracket out of sheet metal, but a machine sturdy bracket would be nice!

First idea. plate to convert using a Renix (3hole) TB to later model (4 hole). Sure this could be a decent money maker as well (can I have a percentage of he profits? ha)
2) Renix style EGR block off screw/plate. (Both intake/exhaust manifolds(
3) "adjustable" spare tire adapter for use with larger spares in stock location. (I run a 31 MTR)
4) battery hold down..
That is all for meow.

The little clip thing that holds the centermost part of the sunvisor shaft that attaches with a single screw onto the underside of the roof. 1984 - 1996 I think are the same. Down here in the southwest where summer temps hit about what the surface of the sun is, these clips get so brittle and break all the time. I've always wanted to make a set out of aluminum for years but never got around to it. The plastic they used sucked.

Build it and they will come............

i think a hitch cover that says "XJ" would be kind of cool. "NAXJA" would be nice too, but i think the legal issues might get too tricky.

Or to go off the hitch cover idea... any 4"x4" or 4"x6" aluminum plaque anodized black, blue, pink... whatever.... with jeep exclusive sayings milled in them, there's my one get rich quick plan for the day. 22 hours to go till the next one.

Just ask for ideas on what to say, throw out a freebee for the most clever and sell a couple hundred more... or make one offs for 30-40 a pop, people eat that shit up like BACON! look at how many bedazzled license plate frames sell a year.

Just don't be the guy that takes orders, decides to buy new equipment on loan, then screw people over because you can't produce product like I've seen 1000 times on small ventures like this.

Not knocking you as a person AT ALL, I've seen small requests like this turn into very bad things once money starts getting thrown around.

How about a NAXJA emblem? As an alternate to the NAXJA sticker?

Every time I see a moded XJ I look for the sticker.

anodized red would make it easy to find.

What kind of $$ are we talking.

Just curious, how much would you charge to machine a "jeep" and "4x4" emblem for me to install onto my xj?

Its not something I need personally and I'm not sure anyone else would buy it, so it would be expensive. Not how much a normal shop would charge, but more than $100. Its gotta be something either I want too, or that I think I can sell, in order for you to get a great deal..i.e. free or heavily discounted.

Last edited:
First idea. plate to convert using a Renix (3hole) TB to later model (4 hole). Sure this could be a decent money maker as well (can I have a percentage of he profits? ha)
2) Renix style EGR block off screw/plate. (Both intake/exhaust manifolds(
3) "adjustable" spare tire adapter for use with larger spares in stock location. (I run a 31 MTR)
4) battery hold down..
That is all for meow.

Here we go!! These are perfect. They sound like they are basically plate with shallow pockets or hole patterns.

I have a Renix jeep, so I could try these out too.

Heres the deal though...I'm not very active on Naxja so I'm not sure which of these would really sell. If you can find one person to buy any of the above, I will make one for you for free, and sell one to the person. Can you help me with that?

The little clip thing that holds the centermost part of the sunvisor shaft that attaches with a single screw onto the underside of the roof. 1984 - 1996 I think are the same. Down here in the southwest where summer temps hit about what the surface of the sun is, these clips get so brittle and break all the time. I've always wanted to make a set out of aluminum for years but never got around to it. The plastic they used sucked.

Build it and they will come............

LOL! I had this exact same idea last night! I guess that means I should make one. I'm on my third visor clip.

The problem is I think the plastic one uses its material properties to have a springy effect and grab the visor shaft. Maybe not, but It might, so an aluminum version might need to be designed differently to work. But I think I will be looking into this one. Maybe it could be a ramp and that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back