• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Stiffeners

Hd are the best bang for the buck, they are one of the only companies to offer a complete "kit". If you need more you'll likely need a cage, the slight difference between thicknesses isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Just an FYI I ran tons and 42s for years on my stiffeners. And I'm willing to bet I beat that jeep harder than 99% of xjs that have been or will be wheeled.

Properly attached the thickness of mine is just as strong as the others (most of which do no offer proper attachment)

My plan now is to go with the hooligan ones and will drill holes for welding. I will then use the hd front and rear. May be an overkill for my use but I am okay with that.

What you don't like the squares for rosette welds? I think it'd be easier to weld then circles

Seems like it would be just as easy on a square except with the square you would have more weld surface area?

Miss one little corner and you just added a stress riser.
You might be on to something there, although, I would not bet the farm on that concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet

I work in the rail industry. The next time I see cracks in 1-inch plate, emanating from corners of the 3/4 plate that is welded on, I'll pay close attention to those welds. :thumbup:

Yeah they claim square holes are easier to weld. I have no preference...square, round who cares.

Now if they could cut out some hearts,diamonds,clubs and spades maybe a martini glass we would be on to something.

Yeah they claim square holes are easier to weld. I have no preference...square, round who cares.

Now if they could cut out some hearts,diamonds,clubs and spades maybe a martini glass we would be on to something.

That claim doesn't make any sense.

I would rather burn in a properly sized round plug weld in any position VS an overhead fillet.

I dont see much difference in either design as far as ease of welding goes. Diamond vs. Round either one should be fairly easy for a competant welder. As for the strength just by looks (I could be wrong) looks like the diamond may have increased surface area for welding. But one could also just increase the diameter of thr rossets. Lots of people seem to fill in the holes completely this does nothing for strength vs a properly sized fillet around the joint. If anything it puts unnecessary heat into the metal. I dont have much of a preferance on the square or round but will be going with hd because of fantastic reviews and cost.

Can someone explain to me what is everyone trying to accomplish with add-on frame stiffeners? I'm curious what everyone's goal is for these mods.

I see lots of L shape, U shape and one sided plates. From an engineering point of view these will all help with the bending strength of the frame as well as strengthen mounting points, but do almost nothing for the twisting of the frame (racking of the whole unibody) which I think should be our biggest concern.

Your not an engineer are you? Unibodys have weak points that tear, and were stuff gets mounted. I never once towed someone out of a revine because they twisted thier whole rig in half. Ivev seen them break in half though.... the rocker panels are a pretty important peice for the unibody on xj's. Dont smash them in too far... do you understand that the whole jeep is the frame? The rails cant even twist by themselves like your frame can

Dont forget that adding you own plate is an option. box in the 3 sides and cut small holes in the side plates to weld in. You just need cardboard for templates, a torch and welder. I used a long peice of angle iron for main run across the bottom and boxed in the 3rd side. 4x4 angle.

Back