• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffeners worth it?

you feel the difference when you drive over the curb cut at the end of the driveway and wonder, was that for real? then the first manhole cover you drive over makes you think again... no way, that can't be for real?
The amount of reverberation eliminated alone is well worth it, then, get on that forest service road to your favorite trail... and your XJ actually tracks straight over washboard, and doesn't rattle your eyes sore... and you'll really start to appriciate just how much difference they make.

As stated above, anyone that has them will endorse them.

What? How do they do all that???

you feel the difference when you drive over the curb cut at the end of the driveway and wonder, was that for real? then the first manhole cover you drive over makes you think again... no way, that can't be for real?
The amount of reverberation eliminated alone is well worth it, then, get on that forest service road to your favorite trail... and your XJ actually tracks straight over washboard, and doesn't rattle your eyes sore... and you'll really start to appriciate just how much difference they make.

As stated above, anyone that has them will endorse them.

x2!

Those and cut out/box tube rockers make it much quieter and not so much creaking while wheeling. :D Cuts road noise down, too.

a full u would require removing the brake lines for welding... would be an awesome product... but, much labour to install... at least for simple ol' me.

brakelines and fuel lines...but my dad and I were thinking of having some made, but do you think the TnT ones would be good enough for a 50% wheeler 50% DD with a full triangulaed cage?

:huh:Yo! Bryan! I think you need to be a little clearer on who you're flaming and why! :twak:
ya, if that's for me, being a dummy, I'd like to know why?
I'm not mad/hurt or anything... just curious.

What? How do they do all that???
dunno... a lot of math/engineering knowledge would be required to explain how... but put a set on, tie them together with a solid belly skid, and you will see for yourself.
When I did sub frame connectors on my fox body I thought wowzers... never thought the xj would have comparable results, but, comparitively, there was a more significant difference in adding them to the xj...

Sold a lot of rockrails to guys running stiffeners and they all have said how much more solid of an install it made for the rockrails. Makes sense as you're now fastening into twice the thickness of metal you normally would be.

Aside from that I haven't heard one negative review of them.

Those are the T&J stiffeners. They help brace the LCA pocket to the forward leaf hanger, but don't do much to protect the frame rail or help with mounting rock rails, nor help chassis twist.

Those are typically used by jeepspeed guys.

I have those on my "mild" trail rig. They work but do not do anything to protect the frame like Cal stated. It also requires more fab to connect sliders with this system and the sliders will have to be completely fabbed from scratch. I've done it and do not care to do it again.

Like my previous post said, I have the Detours on my "moderate" trail rig and they have taken a beating. I plan on putting these on all of my XJ's that I have now and any future builds.

The Detours uni-body stiffy's dont wrap the uni-body, they run parallel with the unibody tieing the front and rear suspension points together as well, rosett or plug welds are also used in the center sections of stiffener to tie it to the uni-body in stratigic areas. Their fit is tight & snug to the undercarriage.
The rear suspension tie in or mounting point, dramatically helps the weak factory spring mount from tweaking over time and can also help reinforce already tweaked XJ's.
Our approach to the stiffener is much like the approach found in drag racing since the late 60's and still sold today, used today on modern uni-body racers. (subframe connectors)
We also offer a long-arm version which changes the front lower control arm connection to a weld connection, unfortunitly.....it can't be used with all LA kits. (RE for instance)
Combine our stiffeners with our slyders, you've boxed the entire side of your XJ, they're also offered as a bolt on version, eliminating any welding.

Here's a quick pic of 'just the stiffeners as the would ship.....(XJ~3)

100_573820stiffy.jpg

TOO MANY OPTIONS AND DECISIONS!!!!!

:D

I go crazy trying to decide which ones to go with....

Back