• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffener install pointers

I said "with nutserts" as in 8-16 of the things on each rail locking it in place. Proper application would hold it as strong as rosettes, which interestingly Bob @ TNT said were unnecessary
Nutserts would be even worse than a bolt and nut... FYI.

Nutserts would NEVER hold a frame stiffener, something that is supposed to prevent twisting, binding, flexing, etc...

And regardless of what bob @ TNT says, rosette welds ARE necessary. Unless you're building this as a mall crawler. He says they're not necessary because he doesn't drill the holes in his... and if he said they were necessary, it would cost him more to manufacture these. Simple Economics.

Look at ANYBODY on ANYTHING that does true frame stiffening, or plating of anything, and you'll see plug welds on it.

Lots of 1/2" to 3/4" dia rosette welds, I prefer 1/2" dia.
Dont perimeter weld, it will crack and tear the unibody in time.

Once you stiffen the frame rails between the LCA mounts and front leaf spring eye you need to start thinking about the forward frame rails. The flexing and stresses will concentrate at the change in section thickeness where the stiffener ends behind the LCA mount and you may get cracking to start. I have not seen this myself but then I plated up over the wheel arches within a couple of months of doing the frame rails.

Concentrating the stresses in one small area (especially if you weld vertically at the ends of the rails) could lead to to the MUCH FEARED but NEVER SEEN XJ TACO!!!! :)

I have the JKS front steering box reinforcement kit for both front frame rails that I will install at a later time, that will help some but I do want to completely plate the unibody from bumper to bumper. Right now I just need a starting point since it is startign to creek real bad. I can see the door moving slightly when I start off at a light, and I can hear every door creak when going over speed bumps or pulling up into drivways.

I appreciate the pointers. I am gonna go with the Roset welds at about every 8" like reccomended. This is my first shot at welding to sheet metal, so I have a friend of mine showing me how. I have seen some of those boldt on tube stiffeners, I wasnt sure how effective they woudl be since they just bolted on, but I see how it would make more sense to weld some straps to the frame. I will definitely be getting those once the funds allow. Right now, I can't pass up the price on the TNT setup!

Allright...Got the Stiffeners ordered, and they should arrive tomorrow! Thanks to Jason at Jeepinoutfitters.com for all your help! :clap: I will take some pics of the install. Not like y'all need another install thread for these but, what the hay...They are going in the weekend of the 24th. this will be my first attempt at welding to a unibody chassis, but I do have an experienced welder on hand to walk me through it. Wish me luck, and I will update y'all as soon as I've finished.

For the welding portion i would start at the top of the rosset and weld vertical down fillet to the bottom of the hole. This will help keep heat out of the unibody. Also DO NOT fully plug weld the holes and sand smooth. Filling them in all the way is just going to put excess heat into the frame rails and won't give extra strength. Just do a nice fillet weld vertical down around the holes and you will be good. The strength of a weld is through the throat.

Well, they came in yesterday. Pretty quick considering I ordered them Monday afternoon. Jason from Jeepinoutfitters.com was awesome! He kept me iupdated from when I ordered them, to when they shipped. Here they are. Nuthin new, but...

I have a ruler next to them to gauge the length..

IMG00087.jpg

The slits on the left are so it will bend to conform to the frame, and the others are for the cross member bolts and to make room for their y-link setup.

IMG00090.jpg

Nice bends, clean cuts and smooth edges...

IMG00089.jpg

Heavy gauge material too, 3/16" steel...

IMG00088.jpg

I am SO stoked!!!! Barring any unforseen issues, next weekend they get burned on!

Lots of 1/2" to 3/4" dia rosette welds, I prefer 1/2" dia.
Dont perimeter weld, it will crack and tear the unibody in time.

Not even stitches? I got mine from Brianho13 and Dirk on here, so they have lots of holes for rosettes. I was going to do 1.5-2" stitch welds along the tops and bottoms, leaving the ends untouched for the reasons you stated.

Filling them in all the way is just going to put excess heat into the frame rails and won't give extra strength.

If you wanna fill them in so they look nice, either turn your welder all the way down and wire speed up so it's just a surface weld. Or even easier and safer than that, get some automotive seam sealer and plug away. Paintable... not silicone based.

Back