• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arm Drop Bracket

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have on my jeep drop brackets for the control arms. Now I have added center frame stiffeners.

My first question concerns the drop bracket brace which extends from the lower control arm bushing mount rearward where it is sandwiched between the frame and the cross member, the cross member bolts passing thru it.

So what are the pros and cons of welding that drop bracket brace to the newly installed frame stiffener, rather than having it bolted along with the cross member as it is in the photograph and was prior to the stiffener install?

The second question concerns the afore mentioned brace and how it is currently bolted to the drop bracket, using four bolts. Should this bolted joint, that between the brace and the drop bracket also be welded together, making the brace and drop bracket one welded piece?

Will welding restrict serviceability of repairs? Is bolt joints strong enough, with no gain need for welding strength wise?

Maybe only do welds in the case of the my second question above, i.e... weld the brace to the bracket, but keep the brace to frame as is, i.e. bolted at cross member? That would allow removal of the welded together "one piece" assembly by bolts from the chassis if need be for repairs

Me, well I am fine leaving it as is unless there is some down side to doing so.

Thanks for advice!

It's common to do an inch or so of stich weld to the brace to keep it in place in the event you remove the crossmember, but otherwise most people do not weld them in as it makes them difficult to remove later when you upgrade to longarms.

But there's nothing to stop you from doing it.

Yeah I am thinking it will be nice to keep the brace from moving out of alignment when cross member is removed. I can also add a bolt, fine thread, and tap the 3/16 inch thick frame stiffener material to hold the bolt which will prevent the brace from moving when the cross member is ever undone. With the added bolt, there will be no weld to break if I want to remove the brace then.

thanks!

Back