• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

found one !!!!

Do you really need a winch bumper? If you do I would go with the detours winch plate and use the stock bumper. If you want it more for looks I would go with something like this: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1XJFST1&Category_Code=XJ
JCRs winch bumper: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2XJFWN&Category_Code=XJB
Heres the bumper I bought....I love it! Its strong, the welds look awesome and I get compliments on the way it looks all the time. http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1XJFPRE&Category_Code=XJB

I dont think I've heard anything bad about about JCR and I had a great experience with their product and customer service.

Its butt ugly and looks like after a few hard pulls the winch and winch plate will look like its on a leash tied to a tree about 8 ft from the jeep. thats what I think. :viking:

My JCR prerunner winch bumper took a hit from a telephone pole (thanks little brother!) but I am now using it on another XJ. The mounting plates bent outwards in the wreck, and the bumper rotated upward and ripped through the bottom hole on each of the tie-in plates/frame rails. I was able to bang the mounting plates back in place, and I called JCR and they sent me new tie-ins for the cost of shipping ($10). I've since used the winch several times, once to extract myself when I was high centered on ice and another time to move a rather sizable tree from the a trail, and no problems. I can vouch for the quality that JCR puts into their product. I initially felt that it would have been better for the frame tie-ins to have a little more metal on the outside edge, but it actually allowed them to act as mechanical fuses, and probably saved the bumper from destruction. Aside from the mounting plates bending, which I fixed with a rubber mallet, the rest of the bumper still looks straight. Quite impressive. Oh, and even though there was minor damage to the front of the XJ and frame, it still drives fine. I just didn't trust the Jeep anymore to be able to support the bumper during a hard winch pull, so I swapped parts over to another one with no frame issues to worry about. So not only did the bumper survive the wreck, but it also prevented the Jeep from becoming a total loss.

OP--this bumper you're checking out may or may not be up to that kind of beating, but JCR guarantees their stuff against destruction. "You break it, we replace it." I like that--only a few places I know of are that confident in their build quality. It's more expensive, to be sure, but you know exactly what you're getting. If you get the bumper you're looking at, and it kicks a$$, then you've made out well. If it pulls off the front of your Jeep or bends while in use, do they offer the same guarantee at the place you're looking? I looked at the bumpers you linked to, and I wouldn't buy one myself, but I won't criticize you for making your own choices. My girlfriend has a Warn bumper, and I also like that quite a bit after having to take it off once and seeing how well it's tied in, and also after it hit a deer and killed the deer but didn't suffer any harm itself. But, anyway, I really think that regardless of how people come off here with their apparent flaming, that most people's hearts are in the right place. Any good group works together to make the whole stronger and better. Sometimes the approach can interfere with how that is interpreted. So do as you will, and report back on your findings once you really have put it to the test if that's what you decide on.

--wavingpine11

My JCR prerunner winch bumper took a hit from a telephone pole (thanks little brother!) but I am now using it on another XJ. The mounting plates bent outwards in the wreck, and the bumper rotated upward and ripped through the bottom hole on each of the tie-in plates/frame rails. I was able to bang the mounting plates back in place, and I called JCR and they sent me new tie-ins for the cost of shipping ($10). I've since used the winch several times, once to extract myself when I was high centered on ice and another time to move a rather sizable tree from the a trail, and no problems. I can vouch for the quality that JCR puts into their product. I initially felt that it would have been better for the frame tie-ins to have a little more metal on the outside edge, but it actually allowed them to act as mechanical fuses, and probably saved the bumper from destruction. Aside from the mounting plates bending, which I fixed with a rubber mallet, the rest of the bumper still looks straight. Quite impressive. Oh, and even though there was minor damage to the front of the XJ and frame, it still drives fine. I just didn't trust the Jeep anymore to be able to support the bumper during a hard winch pull, so I swapped parts over to another one with no frame issues to worry about. So not only did the bumper survive the wreck, but it also prevented the Jeep from becoming a total loss.

OP--this bumper you're checking out may or may not be up to that kind of beating, but JCR guarantees their stuff against destruction. "You break it, we replace it." I like that--only a few places I know of are that confident in their build quality. It's more expensive, to be sure, but you know exactly what you're getting. If you get the bumper you're looking at, and it kicks a$$, then you've made out well. If it pulls off the front of your Jeep or bends while in use, do they offer the same guarantee at the place you're looking? I looked at the bumpers you linked to, and I wouldn't buy one myself, but I won't criticize you for making your own choices. My girlfriend has a Warn bumper, and I also like that quite a bit after having to take it off once and seeing how well it's tied in, and also after it hit a deer and killed the deer but didn't suffer any harm itself. But, anyway, I really think that regardless of how people come off here with their apparent flaming, that most people's hearts are in the right place. Any good group works together to make the whole stronger and better. Sometimes the approach can interfere with how that is interpreted. So do as you will, and report back on your findings once you really have put it to the test if that's what you decide on.

--wavingpine11

Good to hear they hooked you up with some new tie ins for free after you bent them. I got into a wreck and t-boned a car with my JCR bumper and it did absolutely no damage to my jeep or the bumper. The other car was another story though!

I would recommend that you save up the extra money for something of higher quality. You would be better off to spend $400 now than buying a cheaply made bumper for $200 then destroying and having to spend $400 on top of that for a good quality bumper later.

Good to hear they hooked you up with some new tie ins for free after you bent them. I got into a wreck and t-boned a car with my JCR bumper and it did absolutely no damage to my jeep or the bumper. The other car was another story though!

I would recommend that you save up the extra money for something of higher quality. You would be better off to spend $400 now than buying a cheaply made bumper for $200 then destroying and having to spend $400 on top of that for a good quality bumper later.

Yeah. . . it really helps when the object you hit has some give. I don't think the pole really gave too much, so the fuse effect, whether design oversight or design feature, gave that impact energy somewhere to dissipate. Either way, it is still able to take a pull as it was intended to and it still looks good.

--wp11

Back