• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

found one !!!!

the detours bumper mounts with 6 bolts per side...

the roxolid only has 4 per side.

4 more bolts with longer mounts is a big difference for a winch bumper.

xjbackbone03.jpg

It has the three main bumper bolts and the three steering box bolts.

Looks good to me....I'll be the ONE PERSON who wont bash your new bumper. Get what you like......HELL with the rest of them. Hell the way people bash around here though i was on Pirate!!

Looks good to me....I'll be the ONE PERSON who wont bash your new bumper. Get what you like......HELL with the rest of them. Hell the way people bash around here though i was on Pirate!!

X100000!!

aaaaaahhhhhh cant be that bad !!! and you could'nt make that 40.00$$$ ???
iam not cheap just poooooor !!!!!!!

I made this for about 40 bucks
IMG_3112.jpg

Its not a winch bumper but at least it looks nice and its tied into every available bolt hole on each side, 12 total.

Edit: 16 bolts total, i forgot i tied it into the front cross member.

how do you know ?? have you used one or seen one in use ?? iam not say'n that it's the BEST bumper just need one and WOULD like hear from people that have seen the bumper in action !! thanks guys:confused1:confused1:confused1:confused1

i know what its like to have metal bend. looking at the POS bumpers you linked, i know that they wont stand up. the steel is WAY TO THIN for being anything other than cosmetic. you would be surprised at how easy metal bends when too thin. oh, and there are way too few bolts on it. that kind of set-up might work somewhat on vehicles with a real frame, but wont work for a unibody. the force needs to be distibuted over a larger area to avoid damageing your jeep and/or ripping the bumper off.

Because I have real world fabrication experience and have been there, done that. So far you have had the majority of people stating the same.... and one guy saying it worked for his winch without giving any details on how.

Does that mean anything to you? :)

many of us here have experience fabing stuff up. others have experience with manufactured components that either worked or didnt. still others have observed a part work or fail. OP, if you dont want to listen then dont...

but but but 40,000 people cant be wrong!!!!!!

like the pot calling the kettle black

the other front bumper looks a little better, but i cant say i like the welds. i would prefer to have a winch bumper that was fully welded, not just stiched up. it also looks to have too thin of material to hold up to winching or recovery- especially at a slight angle or worse.

the rear bumper with tire carrier looks like a little more of an attempt was made. i like that its mounted with more than just the stock 8 bolts and incorperates some of the hitch bolts. while a slightly better overall design then that of the front bumpers there are some issues. again, the material looks too thin in key areas. if its going to be a tire carrier there should be some more braceing. the tire carrier puts alot of force on the bumper- more than what most think of especially when loaded with a tire and other accessories like a high lift, fuel/water cans, etc. it looks like its just a tube cut down. astetics is less than great when viewed from the side. there is a large open area there. not a huge deal, but i cant say i like it. it would be nice to have more contured corners to fill the gap. it would also tuck in more to the body offering a little more protection. its a good start and just needs a bit of refinement.

Any stronger then what? the bumper you posted?
YES THE BUMPER I POSTED !!!!!!!!!![/quote]

yes, the ones we linked are quite a bit stronger than the ones (yes plural) you posted. and learn how to quote too.

IMG_3112.jpg

Its not a winch bumper but at least it looks nice and its tied into every available bolt hole on each side, 12 total.

thats a great looking bumper. the lines are cleaner and the bumper looks more purpose built instead of just thrown together. the original bumper in question looks like everything, especially the winch plate, was added as an afterthought.

i am not saying that the bumper originally linked to is complete crap. i am sure that a scrap yard would give you a couple bucks for it. it has alot of room for improvements. with a bit of refinement it could be a good bumper

we are just trying to stop you from buying something that could potentially fail. it does not look safe to me for winching. if you just want it for looks, feel free to buy it. this is a public forum, when you ask for peoples opinions you will get it. you should also listen to the knowledge we are trying to pass on. its how i learned. this isnt bashing, this is your fellow Naxja members trying to stop you from wasting your money.

My cousin purchased one of these "winch" bumpers. It doesnt look too bad in person, but I wouldnt trust it enough to attach a winch safely. It uses the factory bumper mounts plus 2 on each side but doesnt use the steering box bolts. The welds holding it together arent bad but the metal is thin.

If I were to use it with a winch I would extend those tie-ins to have more bolts and beef it up a little. Remember winchs have loads of torque and will tear thin metal like paper.

Do what you please, it is your Jeep after all, we are just looking out for your safety.

maybe i was too blunt - the box tube look on the front is not working here in this certain bumper - i was not impressed with the which mounting system or the way it was attached to the unibody - i think like a previous poster said it has potential but not only looks out of place it simply is not engineered for winch pulls or a good side pull... if you did buy i could see someone modding it out - but for 250 or so for box tubing, a little bit of plate and really cheasy tie ins like i said before you could source the material you self and build it for way less - i guess i said 40 becuase i can get scrap 2x4 .250 wall tubing all day for pretty cheap - it is less per foot than dom or hrew and there is always a lot of drop at out local steel yard... anyways if you do end up buying it build it better - i could see some good lines coming from it potentially - again it just does not look safe for major pulls - maybe your wheeling would suit this bumper but even recovering someone else with a couple yanks or winch pulls and you might just have a mess on your hands

i was not trying to be an ass - it was the first thing that came to mind

I'd buy it, beef it up and fix the corners then throw it on my Jeep! :D

IMG_3112.jpg

Great job and fab skills, that is an awesome bumper and for cheap!

Back