• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Ranger VS Jeep XJ

Jim, I love your passion for the XJ!!! and by the way your dog is really cool. I have got to ask you though, Do you really think that if you took a cheesy Ranger with equal beams and a really cheap linked rear you would ever see my tail lights after 200 yards? Maybe, but just think how cheap you could do that for compared to trying to milk 10 inch's of travel out of a XJ?

:peace:

:laugh: Thanks, but we'll just have to disagree on this one. Like I said once you start putting a decent amount of money into both, the ranger will come out on top.

Jim, was that video taken with full traction springs?

Full traction springs up front with Alcan springs in the rear.

Looks like a hell of a nice smooth ride for as much as the wheels are traveling!! Floating on air. Got a rate number and length on the leaves?

Last edited:
Looks like a hell of a nice smooth ride for as much as the wheels are traveling!! Floating on air. Got a rate number and length on the leaves?
It does pretty good, although the only smooth spot is the front seats, you're right on the pivot point. No numbers on the springs. They were Alcans that were sent off to Deaver for a rebuild for a bit heavier Jeep. I bought them from a guy and they worked great for me.

Looks like it actually handles the whoops better than a real jeepspeed would
Hahahaha, that comment might piss a certain somebody off who has repeatedly told me my Jeep is a wannabe ;)

I don't think it'd fair too well in a JS race, the 2.0's fade pretty fast, they're a blast to play with but I think a long race would tire them out. Wait till her resurrection and then we'll see how it does. :D

even still kinda makes me wanna grab up some Full tractions instead of my Deavers, throw on the 2.5 shocks

Just think about 21" front and 28" rear, not to mention the ease of a cheap V-8!!!! Jim, you are coming with me next time we test the pro-truck! The dark side is coming!

truck%204.jpg

Well, that's a hard question to answer. The reason I say custom 4 link is because I have no choice now if I ever wanted to do a 4 link. I've got TNT stiffeners, and T&J stiffeners over the top of them. There isn't a cross member that will mount up now. So if I did one I would have to weld it all together. Realistically though I'll probably never go long arm, I get just as much out of my short arm kit with drop brackets. The only down side I see to short arms it the arc path during travel, with 10" it's not a big deal, but I think with anything more it'll become a problem.

I can't say that I'd do anything differently from the get go, as it helped me learn my Jeep inside and out and taught me what worked and what didn't. I am however now going a completely different route, I'll be running a coilover up front with a few tweaks here and there, it'll be tough but hopefully worth it.

As for the rear, I thought about running spring under, and may still, but for the time being I'll just be running some Deavers SOA.

Words to the wise though, things that I've learned:

1.) Frame stiffening is your friend, it'll make a night and day difference on the feel of your truck, you'll actually be able to feel suspension. I liked the TNT's but noticed the most difference when I added the T&J's on top of them, as well as the TMR front frame plates. I think the combination of them helps.

2.) If you're going to go long arm, do it before you do any frame stiffening, and if you're going to do it then do it right. Go with a true 4 link kit like the full traction kit. It's spendy but worth it.

3.) Air bumps are your friend. Honestly one of the best mods I've done suspension wise.

4.) Strengthen your coil bucket / mount. The sheet metal around mine is bending, and now my bump stop is pointing forward from taking a beating.

Great advise thank you! What about the leaf springs that come wiht the full traction kit? From what i have read Deavers are the way to go?

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQmA2gcHOk&feature=channel

Mild Ranger and mild XJ

Ranger
Camburg performance 6.0 front
dual 2.0s up front
deaver leafs
2.5x18" FOAs out back
Cage
5.13 gears W/limited slip
Etc.

XJ
Re front arms with drop brackets
FOA 2.5x10"
RE rear springs
FOA 2.0x16"
Poly bumps front and rear
Cool bumpers etc ;)

Both vehicles do pretty comparable speed wise but the ranger is more plush.
Might I add that both vehicles will not hang with our toyota... Rangers are cool but don't forget about how cheap you can build a toyota.

DSCF0449.jpg

Dollar for Dollar an XJ is a great do it all vehicle, it just depends what you want to do.

Just think about 21" front and 28" rear, not to mention the ease of a cheap V-8!!!! Jim, you are coming with me next time we test the pro-truck! The dark side is coming!

truck%204.jpg
Hahaha Linked trucks don't count! That's just not fair. We're comparing apples to oranges here.

Wait til dan turners jeep is linked and beamed, then we'll see. He's got a V8 too :D

Once you get to that point it's just not comparing a ranger to an XJ anymore.

And I'm not riding in JAAAACK haha. I'm a horrible passenger!

Hahaha Linked trucks don't count! That's just not fair. We're comparing apples to oranges here.

Wait til dan turners jeep is linked and beamed, then we'll see. He's got a V8 too :D

Once you get to that point it's just not comparing a ranger to an XJ anymore.

And I'm not riding in JAAAACK haha. I'm a horrible passenger!
If you drive you will sell your XJ!! :roll:

My point about the linked rear is how cheap you can link a Ranger and build a killer pre-runner compared to a XJ. End Result is so much!:wave1:

Ford Guy,

I hear you. It is so much easier and simpler to build a prerunner out of a truck than an XJ. I think if you ask the question which vehicle would it be able to pull 16 -18 inches of usuable travel out of for the cheapest price, a ranger would win hands down.

With an XJ you have to deal with the weak unibody and front suspension that likes to swing sideways when you get into those travel numbers. I'm building an XJ not because its easy or cheapest platform to work on, but because racing in JeepSpeed is more afordable and fair than 1450.

JeepSpeed is a drivers class that is limited by the rules. Building a ranger puts you either in a variation of stockmini, class 7 or 1450 which will cost you WAY more to race than JeepSpeed.

my 2 cents.

-Randy

I must not have read that you are going to race. Totally different conversation, I thought you were building a Pre-Runner play car.

I am 100% with you, I love spec classes, way more competitive and its not about who has the most money, it's real racing. It's what makes 1600 class the bomb! If your body can take it, go for it.

I must not have read that you are going to race. Totally different conversation, I thought you were building a Pre-Runner play car.

I am 100% with you, I love spec classes, way more competitive and its not about who has the most money, it's real racing. It's what makes 1600 class the bomb! If your body can take it, go for it.

Well it started out as thread about building a toy (non race) and went to much more…. I like hearing the comments and discussion no matter which way the thread goes haha

My other main reason for wanting a XJ is I like having 4x4 and taking some mild trails and, I hate being stuck!!

Is there a better platform for a pre runner\ trail rig (has to have 4x4)????????????

Side question Jim is that 3 wheel motion video that you have on you tube taken up at Ortega Hwy OHV???????????

Is there a better platform for a pre runner\ trail rig (has to have 4x4)????????????

V-8 explorer with front and rear nines with coilovers front and rear?

Back