• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 9" question

ratboy93

NAXJA Forum User
i have seen a good amount of 9" rearends for sale but im not too sure what measurements i need as in width? i see guys that measure flange to flange... i know a couple guys here are running a 9" can any one give me a width that will be 1700 legal?

Im not sure what is legal in 1700 as for width, but the one I'm running is 55 1/2 flange to flange. Add 2.5 each side for explorer disc brakes, and that puts me right at 60 1/2 to axle flanges and WMS is 61, due to the 1/4 in for each rotor. For stock width it's perfect.

Justin

well for 1700 it has to be stock width. so im looking for a 9" thats about 55 1/2 flange to flange right.

i called a guy today that had a 9" that was 60" it was fully trussed and was complete with 373 gears he sold it for 100 bucks..

Check CL, 9"s are pretty common, and I've got two here at my place, both 65" wms to wms, one I paid $50 for the other was free. They're pretty common, and rather cheap to build/cut down thanks to the drag racing scene. Check around local racing boards your bound to turn one up with relative ease.

Get a housing from the early 80s. This will have the new style or torino style housing ends. You can bolt explorer brakes to this housing end. You will not be able to cut down the stock shafts and use them with the explorer discs. you will need to get after market shafts.

When you cut down the housing you will need to take more off the driver side of the housing then the passenger side to move the pinion to the right location for a Cherokee. I can help you with the measurements if you call me at work during the day.

I got one from a 77 Lincoln with discs that measured 64.75 wms to wms. I do have to cut it down, but it has the mondo huge 28 spline axles and I have sent them to Moser before and was able to have them cut,respline and redrill the bolt flange for under $200. Then shorten the housing accordingly.
Kinda a lot of work, but it's cheap overall and they are bulletproof.

alright so i totally remembered right now that my grandpa has a ford reaend out of a 1983 mustang he used to have. i think it might be a 8.8 not sure if they came with 9"s

the mustangs either came with 7.5 s or an 8.8, neither can be mistaken for a 9" unless he had a custom one built for it. I believe the Mustangs still came with 7.5s up until 85

An 8.8 when viewed from the rear had a squarish looking rear end cover, a 7.5 had a cover with 2 flat and 2 roundsd sides. The 7.5 is a real pc of garbage, the 8.8 is defintely a better unit, but still uses the c clip axles..

A 9" as I'm sure you know has a "pig" gear unit that comes out the front, no cover at all.

I got one from a 77 Lincoln with discs that measured 64.75 wms to wms. I do have to cut it down, but it has the mondo huge 28 spline axles and I have sent them to Moser before and was able to have them cut,respline and redrill the bolt flange for under $200. Then shorten the housing accordingly.
Kinda a lot of work, but it's cheap overall and they are bulletproof.
Hopefully you got the rest of the braking system. From what I've read, more than a few car guys had problems getting adequate stopping without the other components.

They made me glad I passed on one at the boneyard.

I have all the stuff, but I still may go Wilwood anyhow. That old Ford crap is so heavy. I bought it for the size of the axles and the fact that the big bearing housings use those huge tapered roller bearings in em.:shocked:

Hopefully you got the rest of the braking system. From what I've read, more than a few car guys had problems getting adequate stopping without the other components.

They made me glad I passed on one at the boneyard.

I got all the brakes with my 78 lincoln rear end and it all works great. I also got some drilled and slotted rotors from my fed ex guy for 60 bucks.:clap:

I was referring to the diameter of the center part of the axles..I have seen axles that are actually smaller in the middle than on the spline end, and I realize they are meant to wrap up to a certain extent. But the axles from the Lincolns are huge at 1.454". Even though they are still 28 spline..I would rather have them beefy.

I was referring to the diameter of the center part of the axles..I have seen axles that are actually smaller in the middle than on the spline end, and I realize they are meant to wrap up to a certain extent. But the axles from the Lincolns are huge at 1.454". Even though they are still 28 spline..I would rather have them beefy.

You know, that is a good point. You do want the shaft to break right at the splines. We broke a Ford 9" shaft at CalROCS one time and the splines got stuck in the side gear. If there had been a bunch of shaft sticking out, it would have been impossible to pull the third to remove the stub. 31 and 35 spline shafts are just dumb.

Interesting.

You can get broken shafts out easilly with some small pipe, hanger, or some wire. Also with an ARC welder, or some jumper cables, and some welding rod.

With 28 spline, you better get familiar with these.

I was afraid that would get taken seriously. :(

30 year old 31 spline shaft twisted off in the side gear of some lunchbox locker. Crosspin kept us from pushing it out and it was stuck pretty hard. We ended up having to pull the third and disassemble the locker to pound out the stub. We barely made it to the next course at the end of our breakdown time.

That car has 35 spline Mosers and a spool now :D

Im running a EB 9" with 1" spacer adapters (5 on 5.5 to 5 on 4.5)

Axle Widths:

• 65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches
  • 67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches
  • 71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches
  • 77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches
  • 67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches
  • 57-59 Ranchero and station wagon rears, 57.25 inches
  • 66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches
  • 77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches
  • 67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane, 59.25 inches
  • 71-73 Mustang, 61.25 inches
  • 64 Falcon 58 inches
  • 67 Cougar 60 inches
  • 67 Fairlane 63.50 inches (coil springs)
  • 72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
  • 73-86 65.25 inches
  • 57-59 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 iches (narrowest 9" housing)
  • 66-77 Bronco 58 inches but has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle
  • 67-73 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches
  • 67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/9InchAxles.html

:rof:google is your friend:rof:

Back