• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 9 inch, Vs. 60

Nodular Ford 3rd Member
======================
For this reason alone the 9er wins hands down. They all break. The better ones just take longer. With the ford you can replace all moving parts and bearing on the trail in under 1 hour with a LITTLE help EASY. Beside being as strong as anything for the same cost/weight/ground clearance. Plus the endless aftermarket suppot.

:rolleyes:

In regards to strength, a LP 9" is ridiculously strong if the spline count is up there (meaning 35 spline) and if it is nodular iron.

In regards to offroad clarance, the LP 9" is the worst in regards to having a driveline drag over the rocks. (pinion sits 2.25" below centerline of axle). The housing is OK in regards to clearance, but in the big rocks, the guys with smooth housing HP 60s (i.e. Tera) seem to slide over stuff better than the guys with the 9" housings (at JV at least).

In regards to 9" ther is only one option but it is expensive. A TrueHi9 is the only way to go but you'll spend an arm and a leg. www.truehi9.com

I would rather have a LP60 Semi Float 35spline (shaved) axle all day long than a LP 9" on the rocks.

Last edited:
strength is a non issue with the hi 9 , especially when running a practical tire size.

i would also call the lubrication argument a non issue, many people run high pinion rear axles and i have never heard of a failure due to lack of lubrication

BigWoody burned up a TrueHi9 but didn't have the third member filled enough.

BigWoody burned up a TrueHi9 but didn't have the third member filled enough.

He (bigwoody) no longer runs the TrueHi9. He toaster 3 gear sets and I know at least one was cryo'd. Now remeber he is running it in a buggy with an ls1 and atlas with an auto. The Hi9 is not what it appears to be. The breakage I experenced at URE, yea that is right URE, was unique. Yes anything can break. There is no such thing as unbreakable. Think Titanic. I slid left on a rock before the big obsticle I broke on. I never got out to see what was going on, jsut put in in low and go. We think the case hit a rock and broke two of the ears on the front bearing retainer. When I hit the gas to bump kodak it blew the pinion out the passanger side of the housing. I run a 203/205 and both were in low. The pinion has no damage at all and the ring gear appears to be fine. TY Yukon, I think. I actually drove it out of the woods to the campground and on to the trailer. Truth be told the 9" is by far one of the best off hte shelf axles with the most buildability out there. There is a reason NASCAR uses a full floating version. The plan is to pull it down and use one of my spare 9" third members and stuff the gears back in and be ridding by christmas.

IMHO the 9/44 combo is only good for up to 35's unless you put alloy shafts in them. I have broken my 44 twice. If I wanted to run 36's, and I do, Id skip the 9/44 combo and build 60's and run 37's and be done.

Last edited:
97% of the people running Hi9s have had zero issues. BIGWOODY broke 3

Some comp guys have run them for 3 years without issue and won many events, there is one comp guy that broke 3 in 2 weeks.

Some people are just luckier than others I guess.

97% of the people running Hi9s have had zero issues. BIGWOODY broke 3

Some comp guys have run them for 3 years without issue and won many events, there is one comp guy that broke 3 in 2 weeks.

Some people are just luckier than others I guess.

BigWoody also broke it with the initial 5.13 gears which have been redisigned since they were not cut properly.

Back