• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8

Yeah should be labeled, my junkyard has them at 250 but they are off the vehicle. If it isnt on a tag pop the case check the ring gear, if it says 4L10 that means 4.10 gears, LSD. if it says 3L73 that means 3.73 gears, LSD.

An easy way to look for a 31 spline 8.8 is to look for explorers with disc brakes. It's really quick to walk down the isles first looking for explorers and then looking for disc brakes. Drums are for the 28 spline ones.

An easy way to look for a 31 spline 8.8 is to look for explorers with disc brakes. It's really quick to walk down the isles first looking for explorers and then looking for disc brakes. Drums are for the 28 spline ones.

Not nessacarilly, early explorers came with 31 spline shafts and drum brakes.

Not nessacarilly, early explorers came with 31 spline shafts and drum brakes.

My 8.8 came out of a 2001 Ford SporTrac (explorer truck) and has 31 spline axles. It had drums too, I've since converted it over to discs.

It will connect up to the stock XJ drive shaft with the spicer adapter right.

all that needs to be done is cut off the old mounts, weld the new mounts at the right angle... (what is the right angle if you don't have a SYE and 3.5" of lift?). I was looking at a kit that has all the brackets and brake lines so it should be a fairly strait forward swap (no custom fab) after changing the gears out, getting the Drive shaft adaptor and wheel spacers (or new rims)...

I did a quick search on a Ford 8.8 write up but was unable to find a complete "how to" I know its very common but wondered if any one knows of a link or thread, that is a start to finish swap from a C8.25 to a Ford 8.8

Im interested in this too, there are write ups though, not sure which is best. My question is about the proportioning valve, any one ever swapped them out? Can i just hook up my brakes without putting in a ZJ prop valve at least for a little while?

I am interested in this too... need 4.11 gears for my 8.25 and want discs brakes... could just get the 4.11 lsd and discs all at once.. hmm time to call some yards...

what years are most common for the gear/lsd/discs? It is still the right bolt pattern right????

thanks!

Im interested in this too, there are write ups though, not sure which is best. My question is about the proportioning valve, any one ever swapped them out? Can i just hook up my brakes without putting in a ZJ prop valve at least for a little while?

Wiithout a proportioning valve, the rear wheels tend to lock up early. I have an after market adjustable valve from Summit. It takes some fine tuning to get an acceptable bias between front and rear that is good for both dry and wet road.

My question is about the proportioning valve, any one ever swapped them out? Can i just hook up my brakes without putting in a ZJ prop valve at least for a little while?

many, including me didnt bother to mess with it, im sure it would fine tune the brakes a bit, especially on brake intensive uses like big tires.
my brakes are fine, for a 18 year old suv.

I've not touched my prop. valve. Still running the stocker, I'm happy with it.

i have a question. not trying to hi-jack or anything.

you guys with 8.8's. how much did you buy your axles for and where did you get them. im most likley getting one from the jy.
oh, and what explorers come with the lsd and 410s? just wondering what to look for

I'm currently installing one in my XJ build. I found it at Nihon Motors (http://www.nihonmotors.com/) in Stockton for $175. They even delivered it to a warehouse in Reno for me. It's out of a 2001 Exploder. Had disk breaks, 3.73 gears and a LS. I'm gearing to 4.88 and an e-locker anyway so gearing was no concern.

Back