• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 or Chrysler 8.25?

I went from a 27spl with discs, to an 8.8 Never worried about either one stength wise, just the cheapest option to get 4.10 gears

make sure you get a 1997 and up 29 spline unit , keep your eyes open for ones that have a skid package on it cause it will have a trac loc in it ..

did it have a tow package too ? the last 2 that i parted out had full skids and tow packages , maybe its the combo of the two , at any extent pull the cover hand have a look .

did it have a tow package too ? the last 2 that i parted out had full skids and tow packages , maybe its the combo of the two , at any extent pull the cover hand have a look .
Nope no tow package. No trac lock, i know this because i welded the spiders.

What axle did you start with?

If the donor is a 95 or earlier with a 4.0/AW4/4WD (231 vs 242 does not matter) you can use its rear driveshaft. The 8.25 has a pinion about 1" longer than the d35 iirc.

There are also two lengths of 8.25 yoke, 2.75" and 3". A quarter inch shouldn't be a big deal on a 3-6" lifted rig though.

i started with a d35. the axle came out of a 98, but the guy i bought it from is using the rear ds so he wont sell it. I found on craigslist though a guy who has a driveshaft from a 93 that had an 8.25. will that work? if not looks like ill have to be going to pick a part. and i have the 29 spline 8.25 and it has a 2.75" yoke.

make sure you get a 1997 and up 29 spline unit , keep your eyes open for ones that have a skid package on it cause it will have a trac loc in it ..

This is bad info... the skid and traclok part anyways.

Mxracer, if yours is a 96 or later, that ds won't work for you. The transfer case tailcone design changed from 95 to 96 so the ds is a very different length and won't come close to fitting. How much lift do you have / how much in and out travel does the slip yoke have now?

I have my old rear driveshaft laying around somewhere in the garage. 8.25 rear behind the 242 in my 99. New joints, too... Let me know if you can't find one locally.

with my 96 lifted on 4.5 to 5 I did the D44 swap and kept the d35 shaft in it and it works fine for now until I get the cash up for a hackntap for the 242.

Back