• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 56" leaf spring swap with a twist

My bud has not trashed his Ranger springs yet, but they are on a Ranger, attached to a 9-inch. They seem to flex well.

The other rig for me is a ranger and the stock leafs did well the jeep 57's with a shackle do better, but I am also not as shock limited. Those max out my 11" travel bilsteins which allow like 14-15" of travel. Thats a couple years down the road with 1 tons and 38.5-39.5" tires.

I was running 57" wagoneer springs in the stock front mounts and new rear mounts, axle pushed back about 5". Flex was amazing, maxing out 14" Bilsteins through the floor, but I did have axle wrap issues. Could have built an antiwrap bar, but I'm 4 linking the rear instead. You'll find 2 kinds of people in the jeep community, the buy your way out of issues be it deavers or Clayton or iro, and the build your way out. I had the waggy springs from an old waggy, so that was a free swap. My 4 link is being built with Heims I had and springs I had, so I'll be in it for about $200. If you have the money to buy top shelf parts, that's great, if not make it work with what you can afford, I find it pisses of the high dollar guys all the more when you show them up where it counts.

I have seen multiple exploders at the yard with broken factory leafs and a LOT of explorers with ghetto lean almost as bad as a cherokee gets.

Pretty sure you want either a premium leaf spring or a higher arched one like cal said. I blew up a set of OME XJ leafs in a year of beating and a year of DDing, but haven't sagged my bargain basement rustys MJ leafs in two years of beating. Warning, they are very high arched and you will probably need to go SUA. Oh, and I would strongly consider a traction bar if you are wrapping your leafs up.

See that's weird I crawl through yards to steal rear driveways from exploders and have never seen broken leafs or even learners for that matter...

After talking with someone on c.f. after his 64" swap I thinkin going to go that way. Lift should be about perfect for 4" with a shackle and flex will be good without worry of ruining leafs.

I also hear word on the street is they do not like having a large amount of weight in the back of the jeep.

Don't know where you have heard this but it's complete BS.

I have an ARB Fridge, two kids, a 120Lb dog and about 200Lbs of tools that go everywhere with me. I also pull an offroad trailer with about 100Lbs of tongue weight. I've ran Deavers since 2008 and I've never had a single issue with them not supporting weight. In fact it's just the opposite. They are the only springs I have found that not only hold up to a lot of weight but flex well no matter what I have in the back.

what DR Moab said.

Our rig is 5,000 pounds and has no weight problems with the Deaver leafs.

1016678_10200869675137090_1774202859_n.jpg

Did anyone mention that deavers flex well? I'm running their baja bushings in mine.

Stock wagoneer springs flex a little too and can be had free if you look around. Deavers are great and if you've got the $ by all means, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

1016678_10200869675137090_1774202859_n.jpg

Did anyone mention that deavers flex well? I'm running their baja bushings in mine.

Yea sorry this one kind of pushed me away from Deavers. They me be the best of the 52" leafs, but my midrange 57's have more travel than that. The local shop owner who has been building and wheeling buggies decades before I was born said 56/57" leafs would flex better and ride better if I set them up right. Probably going to listen to him since his personal experience makes me look like a 5 year old.

It helps I can walk over and look at my rock truck with wagoneer 57's and compare.

Yea sorry this one kind of pushed me away from Deavers. They me be the best of the 52" leafs, but my midrange 57's have more travel than that. The local shop owner who has been building and wheeling buggies decades before I was born said 56/57" leafs would flex better and ride better if I set them up right. Probably going to listen to him since his personal experience makes me look like a 5 year old.

It helps I can walk over and look at my rock truck with wagoneer 57's and compare.

You are aware that shock length and shackle length/angle have a lot more to do with flex than spring length.

A spring can only travel as far as the shackle allows

You are aware that shock length and shackle length/angle have a lot more to do with flex than spring length.

A spring can only travel as far as the shackle allows

The only thing I cant tell from that pic is shackle. He is using a same travel 5125 series shock as what's in my rock crawler and those expensive deavers.

this thread is stupid..... :helpme:

The only thing I cant tell from that pic is shackle. He is using a same travel 5125 series shock as what's in my rock crawler and those expensive deavers.

I am? the receipt I have says 10" travel 5100s and in that picture I was at the limit of my shocks, longer shocks would have given me more flex. But if I wanted to build a flex monster that is only good for showing off on RTI ramps than I'd just do a 4 link out back with coil overs, but my $500 worth of deavers was the cheaper bet for me.

Back