• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forced Induction

Variable valve timing on production cars exist now. Several manufacturers use it. The F1 system is so complex and expensive, it most likely will never see production use.

Other F1 innovations have gone to production. Do you like your ASB? Or how about that traction control? Or, for that matter, the engine monitoring software that runs in the PCMs of everything out there in the 'verse.

First done in F1.

At issue, IMO, with electric solenoids to run the valves is the current draw. Hydraulics are better suited by far. F1 cars change engine strategies via the steering wheel, the locker has basic settings for tyre type as well.

They are simply amazing cars and I have followed F1 since the days of Jim Clark and Graham Hill.

There was a Jaguar prototype I was around when I worked for Livernois Vehicle Development back in 07...it was camshaftless but used electronic solenoids to move the valves. Sooner or later the technology will be prevalent in everyday cars. I for one can't wait. Talk about being able to switch from economy mode to performance mode at the flip of a switch!

Koeingsegg has been testing that design, those guys are brilliant. They had the system in a volvo for something like 18 months without issue.

Yeah VVT has been out for a while...like the next gen version of the 2JZ. It pales in comparison to the hydraulic or electrically actuated valve potential though. Speaking of other cool prototypes (and one that may never see the light of day) was a Lincoln Mark VIII coupe that had the doors literally drop down and slide underneath the car. I've got a video somewhere on an old drive. It was so freaking sweet.

Edit: Found a vid on youtube, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGDob_IM4ds

I don't know pf a manufacturer that isn't running some form of VVT, but as child said its weak compared to a camless system directly actuating the valves. Its more like infinitely variable valve timing.

I've seen that video of the lincoln as well. Personally i have no problem with standard doors.

Talyn, good descriptor that. Infinite Variable Valve Timing. But, if the price and long term reliability issues can be resolved, I think it will happen.

As for the reliability of the system, it is entirely probable that the production car version would be better than the F1 due to the size/weight of the hydraulic pump. In F1, they sweat over every gram of weight. IMO, an electric pump would be the way, not engine driven. Less parasitic drag...

Have watched more than one race where a hydraulic pump fails. Takes out the steering, brakes, valves and DRS rear wing slot operating mechanism.

Fiat has what they call a "multi-air" engine in production right now. It ises oil pressure to open and close the intake valves. There is a lobe on the exhaust camshaft that actuates a small oil pump, one for each cylinder, and that oil pressure is then used to open and close the intake valves. They are using it in the Fiat 500 and the Dodge dart in a 1.5L turbo charged engine.

http://youtu.be/BK3CLMr8qwg

^^Now that was the best 4 minutes I have spent in a long time. they are managing the intake side and leaving the exhaust alone. Half of what is done in an F1.

Here is something perhaps some of do not know. As I had mentioned above, the big engine builders are Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari.

Care to guess who owns Ferrari? Yup, Fiat owns Ferrari. This engine management system is viable and I can see it being widely adopted as it addresses the majority of the issues with an IC engine. The intake needs to be variable for maximum efficiency.

This system looks to be a solution.

Good news here is that FIAT no longer stands for: Fix It Again Tony. Which was the reason Fiat dropped out of the US market.

As to the extent of the Corporation, they own/control: Lancia, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Chrysler. Big names in the list which is why, I believe, the technology and quality of Fiat has risen. The last remaining Italian High end car is Lamborghini which is owned by VW.

Now that Fiat owns Chrysler, IMO, we can expect to see more Ferrari technology in the product lines.

Lambo is owned by VW? I thought it was Audi. Gallardos are definitely full of Audi parts...the 4-ring logo is on many components.

One day when I get out of school I'll go watch F1 here at the Austin track. One day when I have a grand to spend on a race. :p

Lambo is owned by VW? I thought it was Audi. Gallardos are definitely full of Audi parts...the 4-ring logo is on many components.

One day when I get out of school I'll go watch F1 here at the Austin track. One day when I have a grand to spend on a race. :p

Audi is also Volkswagon, as is Bentley, Skoda, Seat, Bugatti, and I thought they were supposed to be acquiring Porsche too. I was thinking the R8 and Gallardo were siblings as well, the V-8 and diesel were Audi and the V10 was Lambo.

They do own Porsche. The Euro market is down to a very limited number of manufacturers. Sure there are still a number of "different" brands out there but...

The new Bentley has the chassis made in Germany and the Brits fit the BMW engine in England. All that is done really (although, credit where it is due) all of the interior work is hand made by craftsmen. On of the very few companies out there that understand that the best leather is bull hides, not cow hides...

If you wish to see a proper paint job, check out the amount of time and materials that go into a Bentley. Days are required to paint one...

If you wish to see a proper paint job, check out the amount of time and materials that go into a Bentley. Days are required to paint one...

take a look at a brand new black mercedes on a dealer lot as well, one of the few manufacturers than can get a black paint job perfect.

The new Bentley has the chassis made in Germany and the Brits fit the BMW engine in England. All that is done really (although, credit where it is due) all of the interior work is hand made by craftsmen. On of the very few companies out there that understand that the best leather is bull hides, not cow hides...

Actually the Bentley GT has a twin turbo W12 engine hand assembled in Crewe UK and yes the chassis is made in Germany and shipped unpainted to Crewe.
The Mulsanne however is all made in Crewe ,the chassis is welded together and progresses through paint and final assembly.

The 6.75L twin turbo is also hand built at the Crewe site by a highly skilled team of technicians.

National Geographic ran a programme on the building start to finish of the Mulsanne,a must to see.

The BMW engine is fitted to the Rolls Royce line of cars,which is a separate company ,built at a completely different site down south of England.

So Audi own Bentley but BMW own Rolls Royce.

For you Dave..

renault-energy-f1-2013-886x571.jpg

For you Dave..

renault-energy-f1-2013-886x571.jpg

The pack at the front of the engine is the ECU, the battery looking thing is, well, the battery for the KERS. That is the Kinetic Energy Recovery System. When the car is under braking, the alternator dumps current into the battery at a very high rate. This adds to the rear wheel braking effort. At the push of a button, the battery pack will discharge into a motor that adds 60Hp to the car. This equates out to be around 12 to 15 MPH. Handy if you are attempting to over take another car.

So, we have a 1.6 Litre Turbo V-6. Wonder what the FIA mandated red line will be? The V-8 is limited, by regulation, the 18,000RPM.

And thanks for the photo Doug!

Forced Induction is back in Formula 1. I suspect that the Mercedes and the Ferrari engines will look remarkably similar to this Renault. Form follows function after all.

There are chassis changes for the 2014 campaign as well as the engine change. This the FIA does in an effort to slow the cars down. The effort fails every single time as the designers are much cleverer than the officials...

If they want to slow the cars down they just need to mandate things that can't be overcome...like in Formula SAE here at the university. An effective resrictor plate if you will, limiting the intake air to be passed through a 20mm hole. It is mandated that the throttle body is behind it (as well as any turbos being behind the throttle body)...thus no matter how you induct the engine the mass air must be able to pass through the 20mm restriction. No matter what you end up with a choke flow condition.

I can't fog the intake air with nitrous per FSAE rules...but I may be able to pre-cool it. time will tell. :)

Regarding the Renault...I like how they put that additional cylindrical chamber in front of the manifold to increase volume/"capacitance". That will assist with throttle response, of course. I am really excited that they are bringing FI back to F1.

As I understand the theory behind Forced Induction, and I make no claim to knowing all (as some do...), you need a plenum at least equal to the engine displacement to balance air flow across all cylinders. Something to keep in mind for those building their own installations here...

Renault. A company that failed miserably here in the States for good reasons. The cars were mobile junk yards. As was Fiat. Not true any longer for wither company.

For Renault to be in the same class, as an engine builder, as both Mercedes and Ferrari says something indeed.

We are seeing Fiat back in the States due to their purchase of Chrysler. Considering the companies they own, I should expect to see some of the higher technology filter to this side of the pond.

Child9. I envy you as the Circuit of the Americas is in your back yard. The Driver's response to the new track was overwhelmingly positive. Now all that is required there is to start naming the corners. Turn one is being called "the wall" for very good a reason. With your head at the height of the Driver's, the hill that runs up to the corner appears to be vertical.

I attempted to go last year but my illness prevented. Not going to make this year either as things look...

Back