• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex vs. Lockers

Rev Den said:
I used my ARB compressor for OBA for over 10 years, it will work.

Rev

Oh, not saying it won't. But for the price you pay for an ARB compressor, you can get a VIair or something similar, use it for your Lockers, and have a more robust source of air for filling tires and running tools.

Just my opinion.

KarlVP said:
Oh, not saying it won't. But for the price you pay for an ARB compressor, you can get a VIair or something similar, use it for your Lockers, and have a more robust source of air for filling tires and running tools.

x2

Airing up my tires with an ARB compressor gave me a great excuse to sit around and cook some more burgers after being done wheeling for the day. We pretty much finished dinner by the time that thing was done.

It did work, though.

KarlVP said:
OBA from an arb? Have fun with that.

I have tons of fun with it thankyouverymuch.

KarlVP said:

Just my opinion.

Which is precisely why I purchased a Viair 400C for less than the ARB compressor and it does an very nice job of filling my 33s/running the ARB.

Just MY opinion, but you assume too much.

lockers for sure. i never have any turning problems in 4-lo on the trail. ( it may push a little, but the trade off is worth it) only trouble is when you stick a tire against a big rock , stump, etc.

Motorvated said:
What kind of terrain do you find yourself in more? Some small details will help us help you :)

Um, mostly cracked pavement, with a curb to tackle here and there...

But the occational logging road here in the ozarks. Mostly clay and mud that's no trubble if it's dry. And a few rocks. Nothing hardcore yet. Just making plans.

An ARB sure seems expensive now, but I'm still in school. Maybe when I start working in august it'll seem a lot cheaper.

My jeep is stock w/ 232 and 235/75 bfg AT. Current plan is:

cold air cowl intake
Bastard leaf pack to fix sag
front tow hooks or front hitch
aussie in the front 30
[maybe] pull rear sway bar, discos on the front [we'll see]
31s and trimming to fit (no lift if possible)
sliders
bumpers
rear locker of some sort

It's mostly in order, but farther down the list is more likely to change.

vetteboy said:
Ever run a slippery sidehill with a rear non-selectable locker?
yes, scary

I loved the detroit, but it didn't have the best road manners when I was DD'ing the Jeep as well.

selectable would be the shizzle.

the 8.8 is going to get an aussie, because I don't drive it daily anymore.

srimes said:
cold air cowl intake

It's mostly in order, but farther down the list is more likely to change.

Why? You will gain nothing from it..

Anything to supply air from outside the engine compartment would be very useful. I am runnig a Scanguage full time. One of the things I like to moniter is the intake air temp. At idle, the air could get as hot as the underhood temperature. I have seen it on several occasions 185*+ while sitting at idle or drive the city streets at rush hour. There is no doubt in my mind that performance drops at about 150* of intake air temps. It normally runs at about 100* less than the engine when crusing the highway; Lower when the ambient temps are lower. Coldre intake air = more power.

As far as Flex vs Lockers,LOCKERS!Prior to doing a solid axle conversion on my sons IFS Toyota,he had no flex but he does have lockers.When running with me he doesnt always look in to good of shape(a lot of air) but he always gets there.On the other side,Mine flexes like crazy and I have ARB's,If I dont use them I cant make it up stuff even with all 4 wheels on the ground!

srimes said:
[maybe] pull rear sway bar, discos on the front [we'll see]
31s and trimming to fit (no lift if possible)
sliders
bumpers
rear locker

thats all you need and if you dont care about looks i have 33s going on and no lift (i cut ALOT!) one locker will go farther than you've ever dreamed and if your not so hardcore yet wheel it stock you can push farther than you think. off topic tires are the first thing you should do an aggressive pattern will get you traction and wheel it find out what you need just drive it and push it...oh and dont wheel alone if you get stuck walking hours to get help at 3a.m. blows...lots

A friend of mine has a 96 4-runner with the factory electric rear locker. It doesn't flex for shit but it does damn good on the trail. I think it has one wheel off the ground %90 of the time :D. It wouldn't be worth two shits if it wasn't locked.

ARB's are nice, but a PITA to set up. Don't worry about OBA as much and get OX Lockers front and rear. They're cable set up instead of compressed air so the lines aren't vulnerable to being severed, and they are outright tough as crap.

And the person who stated that having the rear locked up doesn't make a difference? I'd like to see you at Paragon on a black 1 or even a blue 3 and make that statement. There's places there that'll chew up a rig that doesn't have something front and rear, and they aren't even the most difficult trails.

And ohh yes. LOCKERS all the way. Wish I had've done that first and stuck with my 2" BB a while longer. Live and learn.

Thanks y'all, doesn't look like there's much debate here. Time to start saving for lockers! Once I start making money, that is...

On a side note, if lockers are so much better, why does it seam like everyone worries about lift and flex first? Is it for the looks?

srimes said:
On a side note, if lockers are so much better, why does it seam like everyone worries about lift and flex first? Is it for the looks?

You lift to fit bigger tires. ;)

What I don't get is guys that lift 7.5" to fit 33's..

srimes said:
Thanks y'all, doesn't look like there's much debate here. Time to start saving for lockers! Once I start making money, that is...

I think I am probably considered "Old School" but in my opinion you shouldn't install lockers till you have learned to drive without them and you understand when you need them. I agree that lockers will get you through more obstacles than flex most of the time. However, I also believe that if you know how to drive your Jeep that you can get through much more without lockers that most people realize.

The reason most people do lift first is to install larger tires and so that you install lockers at the same time as doing the gears.

I still argue that lockers are overrated and driver skill is underrated!!

Michael

2xtreme said:
I still argue that lockers are overrated and driver skill is underrated!!

Michael

Thats why I pimp both :laugh:

Back