• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First XJ and some questions

When I had a roller fairlead I would use that depending on direction. When I lived in Cali my friend had an old frame machine they also work great.

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Crazymoose, yes I had the axle unloaded. Body supported just behind the lower control arms and the axle was lowered onto another set of jackstands. The driver side bolted right up but that passenger side took A LOT of pulling with the come-a-long to get it back far enough to bolt up. I would understand some kicking and working with a drift punch to get things to line up but I was putting some serious pull on that passenger knuckle to get the bracket rotated back far enough to bolt it back up. Sounds like this is fairly common but it just seemed excessive.

On another note, I ordered new headlights yesterday. Hella E-Codes, Osram Hyper 85/80 bulbs and some relays for a harness. Going to do some before and after photos next week when the parts show up. Looking forward to some better lighting.

Headed out in the jeep tomorrow to explore the WA larch mtn area. Any suggestions of where to find a few good trails up there?

Got my lights yesterday.

62f65d8f-5b96-a968.jpg

Hella H4 E-Codes
Osram 85/80 bulbs
Relayed wiring harness

It turned out to be a smooth install. Took just over an hour but the harness came with the high and low beam wires mixed up. Fixed that today and looking forward to seeing the difference tonight. Here are a few pictures.

These are the Wagoners that were in it. The buckets are 25' apart and the wall of the building is 180' from the front of the jeep.

62f65d8f-5cd1-7cee.jpg

This is the E-codes with the wiring mixed up so the comparison isn't low to low. New lights are AMAZING!

62f65d8f-5d5f-5ccf.jpg

62f65d8f-5d70-1c83.jpg

62f65d8f-5d7d-bc84.jpg

62f65d8f-5d8d-2fd9.jpg

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about going to a 32 when I get another tire and maybe trimming a bit but 32 is where I'll stop with the tires and this isn't going to change till next year sometime. This is going to be my driver. So it sounds like your preference would put the 32 right in the middle of what you like for gearing. 3.73 for a 31 and 4.10 for a 33? I need to decide on something though because I'd like to do it in the next few months. Who is doing good work these days?

Any thoughts on the front not flexing quite like I thought it would.

I had a question about upper control arms also. I haven't done anything with the ones on it now but am going to. Should I go with just a bushing replacement or possibly a zj adjustable upper or something more substantial?

Thanks in advance...

I would go deeper 4.10 minimum consider 4.56 or 4.88.

Combos I have run

worn 32s (31.5?) with 3.07, 4.10
33s With 3.55 4.10 4.88
35s With 4.88

the combos where I got the best gas mileage were worn 32s and 4.10 and 33s and 4.88. I daily drove the 4.88 and 33s for over a year comfortable at 60mph.

When my time comes for a regear Ill go 4.56 I have herd a few Different guys (all over NAXJA) busting the Pinion with 4.88 on the D30 and Im sure it could have been avoided but I hammer on my skinny pedal from time to time so I like the piece of mind knowing that I havent read about a bunch of 4.56 D30 blowing Pinions.

If on an auto maybe, on the 5 spd its totaly different

Everything I posted was experience with my 5 speed.

Hey it's Josh, they guy you bought the 44 from/helped you with your build. Glad to see you made it to Naxja, sounds like your enjoying your Jeep! Headlight upgrade is always the first modification I do to XJ's, the factory wiring is horrible.

Also, I highly recommend 4.88 gears for 33's. Especially with a 5 speed, your clutch will thank you latter. If I could spend anymore of your money I would for sure get a HD SYE and driveshaft, differential covers, and a steering upgrade! Hawk LTS brake pads, rock sliders, winch, bumpers....... The list goes on....

Long time no see! Last time I was out with the group was the Hangover Run last year. Good times exercising recovery technique. Haven't wheeled much this year. Got married in February, took over the shop at work, paused from the board cause of the bs, more work.... And so it goes I suppose. Still working a lot but the rest of stuff is mellowing out.

Getting back to working on the jeep finally! Went and found this thread I started and I am glad I did. Forgot some of the stuff I have done, hahah. I've been collecting parts this last year and this weekend I got my air compressor for tire refill and lockers. Got quite the collection of stuff to put on:

Air lockers, 4.56 gear sets, sleeves and gussets for the D30, adjustable upper and lowers, coils, drop brackets - not sure if these will get installed, new track bar, steering box spacer, shackle relocation brackets, shackles, Novak cable shifter, motor mounts, transmission mount, new drive shaft, diff covers, 231 with AA sye and Terra 2lo. There is likely more stuff in the pile but I can't remember. Going to get a set of Ruffstuff unibody reinforcements coming. Found out that the iron worker we have at the shop has a 9/16" punch for it so I'm going to punch extra holes in them and maybe build a mid arm setup for it.

Dang, I need to get out more and quit collecting. Pics to come in the next few weeks.

Thats a DAMN FINE list of parts John!
Yea glad to see ya back on the board!
Think we'll see ya out again on this years hangover run?

Last edited:
I don't know if I'll be out or not. Really want to start working on my jeep and I get my driveway back to use this next week. I've had a van parked in it for wayyyy to long. Got my new-to-me 231tc to SpecFab today to get cleaned up. Now I need to get the tc and trans out, axles out, motor mounts in, and get some welding done.

H4 Conversion

Got my lights yesterday.

62f65d8f-5b96-a968.jpg

Hella H4 E-Codes
Osram 85/80 bulbs
Relayed wiring harness

It turned out to be a smooth install. Took just over an hour but the harness came with the high and low beam wires mixed up. Fixed that today and looking forward to seeing the difference tonight. Here are a few pictures.

These are the Wagoners that were in it. The buckets are 25' apart and the wall of the building is 180' from the front of the jeep.

62f65d8f-5cd1-7cee.jpg

This is the E-codes with the wiring mixed up so the comparison isn't low to low. New lights are AMAZING!

62f65d8f-5d5f-5ccf.jpg

62f65d8f-5d70-1c83.jpg

62f65d8f-5d7d-bc84.jpg

62f65d8f-5d8d-2fd9.jpg

Re: H4 Conversion

Ok, I'm not with it tonight. Wanted to post a link in the "H4 conversion" and ended up posting it here. Anyone help me with deleting or editing? I posted the light info via TapaTalk. Does that change edit permissions?

Back