• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Mod

spazegun2213

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, after being smoked out by a friends deseil ram (beast with 900ft/bl of tq) I decided that it was an ok idea to add a few parts the the ol' jeep. So Today I installed a TB spacer and was going to instal an intiake till i realized that it was not the right part, so I'll get that worked out and install that in a week or so.

I realize that if you want a jeep to handle better buy something else, but i want some real grunt in the engine. What else is there that is with in college boys budget. I was thinking of a full on engine build at 4.6L but i need a spare block and the time to do it.

Also, I live in VA and I'm not to sure on the porting policy on engines. Anyone know?

thanks

any bolt on mods are just going to give you marginal gains. your best bet would be a stroker like you said or a supercharger, if they make them for xj's (dont really pay attention). maybe some NOS? :looney: thatll give you some oomph!

small pederson said:
any bolt on mods are just going to give you marginal gains. your best bet would be a stroker like you said or a supercharger, if they make them for xj's (dont really pay attention). maybe some NOS? :looney: thatll give you some oomph!

what he said... I put a Power Aid in mine about 6 months ago. NO increase in Milage, but some ommmph in the power band in second and 3rd at about 3k RPM.

Most bang for the buck, is getting what you have to work well. When the ignition system, the vacumn system, the sensors are right. And the intake, the TB and ports are cleaned up.
My old 4.0 runs pretty strong, as I keep correcting things and fixing small problems, it gets better and better. Figure about the time I get the most HP out of what I have, in near stock form, I´ll probably blow it up anyway.

I put a flowmaster 40 series on mine Monday and I'm positive it gave it a little more toqure. I'm assuming you have a 91 if so the down pipe on the exaust is really on the small side if so, go to a muffler shop and see if they can cut it off and weld a constant diamiater piece in place of the squished part of it. If you just want to stomp him good try a regear. 4.56's on stock tires, and you will probebly have to do four wheel drive launches just to keep it from lighting up the rear tires to bad. Just don't drive far that way,and try to stay in a straight line on pavement as it's very hard on the drivetrain. Pluss you'll be set to go if you lift it and want to run anything bigger than 31's.

small pederson said:

My magnetic "TYPE R" Sticker almost doubles my horsepower, and I can move it from car to car so I have transferable horsepower! :yap:

J/k Im not sure how much you can do to a 4.0 to make it keep up with anything with 900 ft/lb that isnt a dump truck. Try the street and performance forum.

Why in the hell would you want to compete with a high Torque Diesel anyway? Are you in Speshul Ed Classes?

Let's come back to reality here....unles you spend a sh*tload of bucks you won't be able to compete.

The trick is to have him follow you on a tight, twisty trail.....then see how he does....

Disclaimer: the Author of this post has been partaking in liquid refreshments of the alcoholic variety...

Back