• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished the 8.8 swap!

Gaius said:
TJ's mounts are lateral like that, but so are the tops. You shouldn't have any problem.

You could always use your sway bar mounts as BPEs to twist the upper mount to match.

edit: best pic of my TJ's mounts i have:

tsf20060218020wz7.jpg

TJ upper shock mounts are angled tword the rear. XJ upper mounts are angled toward the center, on the oposite plane.
shockmount.jpg

This picture show an XJ with a typical shock mount that pivots side to side, not forward and backward.
Notice the shocks angled toward the center of the unibody. When the axle flexes, the shock pivots on the correct plane.

I understand, I have a lifted 98 XJ also. The fact that the TJ's shocks are angled back (it's because of the rear link suspension) doesn't change that it has the same lateral movement (flex).

A CHerokee with those mounts will be just fine, especially since the rear of most CHerokees doesnt flex nearly as much as the rear of long-armed or 4-linked TJs.

Ok Well you need to make some better spring perches since you used 2" square stock to sit a 2.5" wide spring on. Plus that block isnt helping out. What you can do is integrate the block into the new mount by building the spring perch up and going with that. You just need the right size perches under there man

RuffedUpXJ said:
Ok Well you need to make some better spring perches since you used 2" square stock to sit a 2.5" wide spring on. Plus that block isnt helping out. What you can do is integrate the block into the new mount by building the spring perch up and going with that. You just need the right size perches under there man

Ok. We will see. I'm pretty sure you are just being overly cautious. I think that 2 inch perchs on leafs isn't going to hurt any body. And I plan on getting rid of the blocks once I relocate the shackle, then I will fix up my rear suspension. I'm 18 and not made of money so I'm just getting all my stuff built up so I can wheel the sh*t out of my cherokee.

looks good. me and a friend just did the 8.8 swap on our jeeps. my XJ, and his YJ. i used ruffstuff specialties for all the perches, and really liked the quality of them. lock rite is on the way. i ordered an aussie 8 weeks ago and havn't seen it, so i canceled that order, and bought a lockrite for the time being. when i finish up my waggy d44 front i might put something better in the 8.8, but for now its good

Back