• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally time to take out the WJ

I'm going to try to make it. My wife will be out with our newborn daughter and I'll be home with our son. Might as well take him wheeling. Besides maybe you can get Tony to come and he can see what his old rig looks like now, kinda like what you'll be doing with your old rigs.

Tony will be there and I'm pretty sure he will have his son and pregnant wife with him and I will have my son with me. My pregnant wife we be at work. We just put a lift on his JK and he wants to try it out. Still has the stock tires so it looks a little goofy.

Tony will be there and I'm pretty sure he will have his son and pregnant wife with him and I will have my son with me. My pregnant wife we be at work. We just put a lift on his JK and he wants to try it out. Still has the stock tires so it looks a little goofy.

Awesome. We just had our 2nd child 3 months ago, but she'll be with my wife at the baby shower. Your son should be good for Levi to play with. How old is he? Levi will be 3 on the 26th of this month.

The XJ has 33's, 4.56s and a front and rear locker since you or Tony last saw it I think. So it looks a bit different.

Can't wait.

~R

Awesome. We just had our 2nd child 3 months ago, but she'll be with my wife at the baby shower. Your son should be good for Levi to play with. How old is he? Levi will be 3 on the 26th of this month.

The XJ has 33's, 4.56s and a front and rear locker since you or Tony last saw it I think. So it looks a bit different.

Can't wait.

~R

I'm sure Tony will be excited to see iwhat has been done to his old XJ. Brody turned two back in January. He will definately love having another kid to play with on the trail.

Thanks to Max (webdog) I was able to get the rear bumper all welded up and reinforced some of the weak links on the front bumper. Just finished painting it. Here's how it looks. My budget is officically gone and my build is done (for now).

DSC02493.jpg

DSC02476.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

Here's some pics of the radiator support Max built. The WJ"s have this stupid design that has the radiator hang down below the bumper. It's a major area of concern when wheelin. We used some angle iron across the bottom of the radiator lower bar then some tubing from the angle iron up to the outer edges of the bumper. Then we strengthened it all with a skid plate from the bottom of the bumper to the angle iron. Should be plenty strong.

DSC02486.jpg

DSC02488.jpg

Last edited:
Diggin it brad Dub J is lookin sik were did you get the rear bumper ?

Got the front and rear from Tactical Armour Group. There customer service was horrible and fitment was even worse. If you don't mind lots of cutting, grinding, hammering, cussing, etc. then there prices are great. I got both front and rear bumpers delivered for $1000. Nobody came close to that price. But in the end I got what I paid for. I had to spend a crap load of time and some money to make them look right and be super strong.

did you use webdog's bumper brackets? he made me some for the front and rear, and they're bitchin. they've taken some solid hits so far.

Got the front and rear from Tactical Armour Group. There customer service was horrible and fitment was even worse. If you don't mind lots of cutting, grinding, hammering, cussing, etc. then there prices are great. I got both front and rear bumpers delivered for $1000. Nobody came close to that price. But in the end I got what I paid for. I had to spend a crap load of time and some money to make them look right and be super strong.

Well it came out looking like it could take some hits, how much does one weight?

I didn't use his bumper brackets since it came with some that were made for the WJ, but we did have to use some tabs to reinforce the bumper attachment. With Max's ideas and welding skills he was able to make my rear bumper a LOT stronger then how it came from TAG. In regards to weight, they weigh just under 100lbs. a piece. They were a little lighter orignially but after all the reinforcing the weight went up.

I didn't use his bumper brackets since it came with some that were made for the WJ, but we did have to use some tabs to reinforce the bumper attachment. With Max's ideas and welding skills he was able to make my rear bumper a LOT stronger then how it came from TAG. In regards to weight, they weigh just under 100lbs. a piece. They were a little lighter orignially but after all the reinforcing the weight went up.
holy crap, i thought mine were bad at 35lbs a piece!
good thing you have the v8. :D

Looks like we are gonna have to cancel this wheelin trip on Saturday. This incoming storm is turning into a beast. The snow level is gonna be at about 6500 ft on Friday and Gold Mtn. at the lowest is above 7000 and goes up to 8200ft. The weather reports I'm reading are showing close to a foot of snow at those higher elevations with another foot coming Saturday day. 2 feet of snow is a little too extreme for some of the Jeeps going. 2 feet of snow on fire roads is fun but on a medium level offroad trail is just dangerous. Too many rigs would be constantly getting stuck or damaged. This would keep us on the trail WAY longer which means more snow for us to deal with. I'm REALLY sorry guys, but we are just gonna have to wait until the snow melts and try it again.

good call. better safe than sorry. and for anyone thinking they still need to go, please dont go alone. 2 or more rigs with plenty of gear and supplies. we dont want to hear about anything on the news next week.

One HUGE concern would be to have a break that couldn't be a quick trail fix. They are expecting by the end of Monday to get 3-4 ft of fresh snow and possible more to come. It will be quite a while before you could get to a rig that got left behind.

Brad, I was thinking the same thing. I would be fine going out by myself, but I wasn't going to take my son out on the trail with me in those conditions. I look forward to doing it sometime in the future.

Mr. Hicks, i was planning on heading up there this saturday with the family on the road off course if there is one lol. Went up last sunday and on the north face there was still plenty of snow in the shady areas. What elevation are you at? Jenks lake is what 6000?

Mr. Hicks, i was planning on heading up there this saturday with the family on the road off course if there is one lol. Went up last sunday and on the north face there was still plenty of snow in the shady areas. What elevation are you at? Jenks lake is what 6000?

My elevation is 6200ft. We are expecting to get over 24" in the next 4 days but Big Bear is expected to get 36" plus.

Back