• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender flare, got an opinion?

Gojeep said:
They look great in the photos but are they as good in fit and finish in reality? If they are they just want I would want too. Are you going to do the rears as well?
I haven't bolted them up yet, just laid on the test fender and the fit is excellent, the finish is straight and smooth, I'll do the rears after we get the fronts on.

Bigdawgs, The TJ flares are his, I'll check, pretty sure he will.

Thanks guys

I wish you had an injection mold. Fiberglass doesn't hold up so well (at least in my experience), those look really good though.

Lucas said:
I wish you had an injection mold. Fiberglass doesn't hold up so well (at least in my experience), those look really good though.
Woudn't be a good option for a hard core wheeler who takes alot of body damage, flareless is hard to beat for that, but from the posts I've read other aftermarket flares don't do so good either. Keep in mind not all glass is created equally. Some glass feels like an egg carton, like on some of the body kits for cars, some of that stuff is pure junk, thin wavy, full of pinholes and voids, a monkey could do better. Some stuff is shot with a chop gun, not as strong. This is hand laid glass, same materials used in higher quality boats, with alot of plys. Just an option for someone who keeps a clean Jeep wanting more clearance and coverage. When they're mounted I can tell more about their strenght.Thanks

You should produce these.

I'd gladly pay $300 for a set (front and rear) provided they fit well and are reasonable quality.

Like your post above says, I want to build a "clean" Jeep and the BWs are too "bubble gummy" or overkill for what I have in mind.

r@m

If you are laying em up by hand you could use Kevlar mat or Kevlar tape as a layer for strength. Use an epoxy such as Aeropoxy or West Systems and vaccuum bag them. They should be able to take quite a beating without shredding and cracking. You could even use a nomex honeycomb as a base and they'd be superlight as well.

The methods I talked about are used a lot in aerospace for fin strength and support.

Sorry about the delay, here's some pics painted and on a fender, I hoped to have them on the Jeep by now but I haven't had a chance. This should give a better idea, they look stock but looking closer they're alot bigger and wider. Thanks guys.

47b5dc27b3127cce9fa6bed4480800000016109AYuXLdy2ao

47b5dc27b3127cce9fa6bea9c94500000016109AYuXLdy2ao

47b5dc27b3127cce9fa6bed4480800000016109AYuXLdy2ao

47b5dc27b3127cce9fa6bea9c94500000016109AYuXLdy2ao

Those look real nice...Congrats!
I'm guessing you could probably make them even wider if you wanted to right?
Nice craftsmanship!

Those look real nice...Congrats!
I'm guessing you could probably make them even wider if you wanted to right?
Nice craftsmanship![/QUOTE]

Thanks. it took more work than I thought to get to this point.
I can make them wider, they're actually wider than they look in the pics, about 2'' wider than stock. Just trying to come in between stock and whackers right now, want them to look good with 8" wheels and not look to wide. should get them on the Jeep one day this week and I can tell more about it, I'll throw up some more pics then , thanks

hakedxj you definitly need to keep on those. I think you could have an exllent chance of selling some of those if you have the place to make them. Rember the more you make the better, and faster you're going to get. I would pay $300 a set unpainted, but I already have B.W.'s. You could do a taller version with the bottom noched out for the guys that have problems with there tires hitting the bottom of there flairs too. Even a quick release version for those who need flairs for the road, but like to remove them on the trail. BTW those look awsome!

Rocketman said:
If you are laying em up by hand you could use Kevlar mat or Kevlar tape as a layer for strength. Use an epoxy such as Aeropoxy or West Systems and vaccuum bag them. They should be able to take quite a beating without shredding and cracking. You could even use a nomex honeycomb as a base and they'd be superlight as well.
This might be a newbieQ.... but could you make durable flares out of truck bed liner like LineX?

What happens when the glass ones get flattened against a tree or rock?

HackedXJ - Excellent! Big enough for great clearance, narrow enough for decent DD tires to look right. These are certainly very nice flares that could be perfect with my xj. Keep us posted on availability and $$$ :flipoff:

Damn, those look great. What about the rear?

Make me a set?

r@m

tsgolo said:
What happens when the glass ones get flattened against a tree or rock?
That would be my question also. How durable is 'glass going to be on impact with a trail hazard? What about extreme cold weather on a DD. Cracking?

Woudn't be a good option for a hard core wheeler who takes alot of body damage, flareless is hard to beat for that, but from the posts I've read other aftermarket flares don't do so good either. The advantage would be glass is very repairable. Almost all auto parts sell glass repair kits, I like things that if they break I can repair. They are made of the same resin and fiber that boat companies use so I don't think the weather should effect them. Also the shape adds alot of strenght, if you cut the flare in half you can see it's kind of a "U" shape. It's by far stronger than I expected, Most people who have seen them comment on how rigid they are. I will give a report a few weeks after they're on my brothers rig, he'll definiatly try them out.lol .thanks

Have you made rear ones to sit up higher as well? I dont like it when the front flares sit up so much higher than the rears. The fronts are already 1/2" higher which give the rear a sagged look even when the body is level. These would be about 1.5" higher in total than the rear if it stays the same.
Also the rears need to be 1.5" narrower than the fronts as the body get wider towards the rear.
I do like the look of what you have so far except for the height but that depends if you are making a rear set up to the same level of not.

look real nice. i'm sure the rear sits up higher as he had tj flares on before

Gojeep said:
Have you made rear ones to sit up higher as well? I dont like it when the front flares sit up so much higher than the rears. The fronts are already 1/2" higher which give the rear a sagged look even when the body is level. These would be about 1.5" higher in total than the rear if it stays the same.
Also the rears need to be 1.5" narrower than the fronts as the body get wider towards the rear.
I do like the look of what you have so far except for the height but that depends if you are making a rear set up to the same level of not.

Root Moose, I think this answers your question too.
I'm just now planning the rears. They will definately sit higher, I hope to raise them close to the same amount as the fronts so it will look right. I plan to get the fronts on and will that allow me to better see what to do in the rear to keep them proportional. Thanks for the input. By the way, I borrowed your ZJ shifter knob idea from your site. For some reason I still think it's one of my best mods lol.

hackedxj said:
Root Moose, I think this answers your question too.
I'm just now planning the rears. They will definately sit higher, I hope to raise them close to the same amount as the fronts so it will look right. I plan to get the fronts on and will that allow me to better see what to do in the rear to keep them proportional. Thanks for the input. By the way, I borrowed your ZJ shifter knob idea from your site. For some reason I still think it's one of my best mods lol.

quick somewhat off topic question...
does the stealership offer stock color spraypaint? ive got full fiberglass fenders that i still need to paint and i want a pretty close match to stock.

did you get the flares painted professionally or paint them yourself?

hacked,
once your satisfied with the results, make about 20 sets and sell them at a low but reasonable profit, get your name and product out there. After that you can up the price to a average profit and sit back and enjoy. Obviously there is more to it, and I am by no means a buisness man.

Back