• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeler thread for RTT group buy...

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if anyone would be interested in this but I'm planning on purchasing a roof top tent from Tepui tents in Santa Cruz early next year. I've got one other friend buying one too, so if we get a minimum of 3 people or more to do a "group buy" we can get a decent discount. About 14 percent is what they said. I've been researching tents for quite a while, materials used, how its manufactured and certain designs over other brands and have made my decision on this brand. I've checked it out in person and its pretty frick'n sweet, the price is right and the location is awesome! (basically free shipping, just drive over 17 to SC)

http://www.tepuitents.com/

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

-Alex

According to their website orders ship free anyway, at least until the 25th.

Id be curious to see some pictures of the inside and how well its insulated.

I dont usually say this, but this 'yota looks bad ass.
Tacoma_rear.JPG

They are nice in side. They have a lot of thoughtful ideas on how the ladder attaches, the flooring used and how the seams are around the zippers. One of the owners lives in SC and he let me go over there and check them out. Im sure if anyone was interested we could take a trip over there, I wouldn't mind to go again. I know there are lots of other brands and the baller ones are Eezi Awn but they are straight up 1,800 bucks or more. Id say the 750 dollar model is the best buy but the Autana is sweet! The zip on annex room is 8 feet by 8 feet and has a floor. Basically you can sleep 2 or 3 people down stairs, lol. The Kukenam has an annex also but its smaller, the ladder is on the outside and that one doesn't have a floor. Would make a good cooking area or something.

it looks to me like they foudn the same chinese company that i found a while back. look like the same tents. they where 500$ plus shipping from china so they must have bought a lot of them...

it looks to me like they foudn the same chinese company that i found a while back. look like the same tents. they where 500$ plus shipping from china so they must have bought a lot of them...

Jon, you are correct in way. I came across madeinchina.com or what ever that similar web site is you can find all kinds of variations of the same tent. It looks just like an old ARB II tent and a Gordigear tent from Australia, it also looks like a Camping Lab, a Mombasa and a Eezi Awn. I think they all copy that similar design or it might even come from the same factory, who knows. I went through the same thing trying to research the best deal and whats what. Basically I don't know where all these tents originate from in China but what I do know is every company has its own standard of quality and materials used. I found impregnated poly cotton is the best fabric but its very expensive, this tent is poly cotton and coated. Then other manufactures use that thin nylon on typical tents and so on. I also found some tents use some type of plastic floor, some wood and some aluminum. I also found the hinges used and ladders all vary. Not to mention, some you have to unzip the windows from the out side, thats lame? I honestly think this one is the best bang for the buck, quality is good, materials used are good and its local so replacement or service parts should be readily available if needed.

If you know of some other tents I should check out let me know, I'm open for ideas. There is so much variation and people trying to make the same product its hard to figure it out in a way. And of course when you call the manufactures they all have the best, most unique product on the market. I just wish it was made in the good ol USA...

Sweet, how do you like yours? Any thing I should consider knowing what you know now? What tent did you purchase?

Well, I like it more than my wife does, but that's only because it's been sitting in the middle of our living room for months!
emb.gif

It's getting mounted on my offroad trailer, which is about 90% completed, but on the back burner while I get a business going. In the meantime, the baby think it's her dancing stage :)

I got mine from Cascadia and it's the Mt. Bachelor model, which, like the one I posted the name of above, looks to be a clone of the ARB Simpson II (I think). They used to be made in the same factory actually, but ARB moved when they changed the design... or so I've heard.

I saw the Cascadia one on display at the sportsman's expo and met the owner. He was super nice and really worked with me. I got a sale price of ~$800 out the door. He's based in Oregon, so I would have had to pay for shipping, but instead he brought it with him on vacation to Lake Tahoe and I picked it up from him there... no extra charge. I thought that was pretty cool.

The quality seems pretty good. I don't remember the specifics, but the fabric was on the high end of the scale and it's mostly aluminum construction (no wood). The cover for when you're driving could be a bit thicker; it tore in one spot already, but should be easy to fix, and the window screen fabric is super thin. It tore too in one spot when I was letting the baby play inside it in the living room. I don't know what you do about that though because they're sewn into place. I'm sure I could sew a patch, but it's gonna be kinda ugly. I don't know if there could have been much the manufacturer could have done since they have to be see-through.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this business going so I can put the finishing touches on the trailer and take it out!

Good luck with your purchase!
Billy

I can't believe how I think I've seen it all and nope, another tent that looks the same. Haha, I just feel bad for the people who purchased the ARBs for almost twice as much : / Looks pretty nice though, hope you get some good use out of it. Mount that sucker up and go camping! Good luck with your business.

On a side note, are you doing a build thread for your trailer? That'd be cool to follow.

I can't believe how I think I've seen it all and nope, another tent that looks the same. Haha, I just feel bad for the people who purchased the ARBs for almost twice as much : / Looks pretty nice though, hope you get some good use out of it. Mount that sucker up and go camping! Good luck with your business.

On a side note, are you doing a build thread for your trailer? That'd be cool to follow.

Thanks! When it's all done, I'll post a write-up on BSFab.net and I'll post a link somewhere around here.

Billy

750 seems real good seeing that shipping a tent from china is super expensive and the ones i found there are around 480-550 each plus shipping.
they also have snorkels for 16$ each plus shipping from china but the shipping is crazy and they make you buy 10 at a time. .

Last edited:
750 seems real good seeing that shipping a tent from china is super expensive and the ones i found there are around 480-550 each plus shipping.
they also have snorkels for 16$ each plus shipping from china but the shipping is crazy and they make you buy 10 at a time. .

I remember you tried to do a group buy on snorkels once. I can't believe China produces things for that cheap. You couldn't send one snorkel back to them for 16 bucks on shipping alone.

Thanks! When it's all done, I'll post a write-up on BSFab.net and I'll post a link somewhere around here.

Billy

I forgot to ask you about the trailer build when I saw you. Sounds like you are doing exactly what I wanted. I don't know how my wife got a hold of you but will it be done by Christmas? She comes up with the coolest presents!

Josh

Hey guys, I've been emailing the business owner of Tepui Tents in Santa Cruz on some questions and was going to set up a time to check out another model RTT they have. Maybe next week or the week after, so if any one is interested in seeing one in person let me know.

Back