• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gay rights group protesting Target and Best Buy

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.latimes.com/sc-dc-0817-target-gays-20100816,0,6992424.story

WASHINGTON -- Following the breakdown of negotiations, the nation's leading gay rights organization said Monday that it will continue to protest Target Corp. over a donation used to support a Republican gubernatorial candidate with a history of opposing gay rights.
Officials with the Human Rights Campaign said the giant retailer had effectively rejected the group's proposals to donate to gay rights organizations to offset the earlier donation.
Target's handling of the protests has been closely watched because it is the first case in this election cycle of a company receiving national protests over a campaign donation. The topic is especially sensitive this year because of a Supreme Court decision that allows corporate organizations and unions to use their treasury funds in election campaigns.
Human Rights Campaign is considering whether to suspend Target's 100 percent rating on its "Corporate Equality Index," a measurement of corporate hiring diversity policies on a scale of 0 to 100.

"If their initial contribution was a slap in the face, their refusal to make it right is a punch in the gut and that's not something that we will soon forget," said Joe Solmonese, the group's president.
Target representatives did not respond to requests for comment.
Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel has told employees that sending a $150,000 donation to the new political group MN Forward was a business decision. The group used Target's funds to help underwrite ads backing Minnesota Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer, who opposes gay marriage and other legislative initiatives sought by gay rights groups.
In response, San Francisco officials threatened to block the construction of two new Target stores in the city, where gay advocates have long had strong influence. In addition, MoveOn.org and other left-leaning groups have asked supporters to boycott Target. MoveOn posted a video on YouTube Monday that showing a group of its members performing a musical number inside a Seattle Target store.
Republicans and several organizations on the right have complained that Target was the victim of "liberal thuggery."
The ability of corporations to donate on behalf of Republican candidates is of special concern to Democrats this midterm election year. Democrats have outraised Republicans in traditional campaign fundraising, but they fear the advantage may be overwhelmed by corporate giving.
On the right, observers believe donation plans will be chilled as a result of the unwanted attention Target has received.
Human Rights Campaign said it had reached two tentative agreements with Target but the retailer then backed out. The gay rights group said it plans to give $150,000 to organizations that support candidates in favor of gay rights.
In additional to Target, Best Buy Co. has also given to MN Forward. Human Rights Campaign said it has also been negotiating with Best Buy and that talks are still ongoing.

Liberals suck.
But I don't think massive companies like Target should be able to donate money to political campaigns, regardless of whether or not I support the campaign being donated to.

Waaaaah! I have nothing against gays but everyone is gonna bitch about something no matter the topic. Although, gays boycotting a target might cost them a lot of business :dunno: Sounds like another libtard hissy fit to me.

Target gave money to a group that gave money to a candidate the group doesn't like, so naturally:
Human Rights Campaign is considering whether to suspend Target's 100 percent rating on its "Corporate Equality Index," a measurement of corporate hiring diversity policies on a scale of 0 to 100.
Because, um,... "There's been an abrupt about face in their hiring practices!" Yeah, that's it! Not politically motivated at all.

This is an older story, and IIRC, the group MN Forward is not a campaign itself, but a PAC that supports a number of candidates on both sides of the isle. It's leanings are pro-business, not "anti-gay".

Ron

Liberals suck.
But I don't think massive companies like Target should be able to donate money to political campaigns, regardless of whether or not I support the campaign being donated to.
Corporations have an interest in who gets elected just like we do.

Gays like to complain just like any other special group out there, they have the right.

Target Corp. can use their money for whatever they want.

This shouldn't be an issue.

Agree.

Also I think I see at least 10 gays both gals and dudes everytime i shop their. They come around back to shopping at target haha.

I interned for Target over the summer, so I've been following this a bit... this is copy/paste from my response to a friend on Facebook over the issue, but applies here as well...

What really funny is there was a protest/boycott for Target doing something similar in the OPPOSITE political direction in Texas earlier this summer.

While they may have made a bad move supporting this one candidate, its important to look at... what the company as a whole has done. They're ranked very highly for diversity hires, Diversity Inc magazine has them in their top 50.

CEO Greg Steinhafel also apologized for the donation on August 5th.

The company has long been known for being inclusive and supportive of the gay community in their team member hires. I hate to see one move undoing all the "good" a company has done for decades.

I hate to see one group trying to hurt a legitimate, non-controversial business because they disagree with one thing they've done. Like you pointed out, they are very highly ranked for diversity. This same group ranked them with a perfect score for hiring practices and is now considering lowering their score when hiring practices haven't even changed. [Spock voice]Highly illogical[/Spock voice]

"In response, San Francisco officials threatened to block the construction of two new Target stores in the city, where gay advocates have long had strong influence"

Seems like blocking the construction of new stores being built is kind of like blocking the construction of a Mosque near ground zero....

"In response, San Francisco officials threatened to block the construction of two new Target stores in the city, where gay advocates have long had strong influence"

Seems like blocking the construction of new stores being built is kind of like blocking the construction of a Mosque near ground zero....

:doh:
You're one of those people :banghead:

Or he might be pointing out that liberals call it discrimination in the NY issue, but they have no problem discriminating against Target.. ?
Precisely. Discriminating against Target for a perceived belief that isn't even supported by the evidence would seem worse to me than discrimination for an actual belief. You can perceive someone to have just about belief you want. Actual beliefs are much harder to fake.

The law will probably end up deciding if anyone is being discriminated against in both cases of Target and the Mosque. Too bad most people don't understand that their perception becomes their reality. Proof of the pudding is that someone thinks I am one of "those" people, when they have no clue at all who I am.

Or he might be pointing out that liberals call it discrimination in the NY issue, but they have no problem discriminating against Target.. ?

Precisely. Discriminating against Target for a perceived belief that isn't even supported by the evidence would seem worse to me than discrimination for an actual belief. You can perceive someone to have just about belief you want. Actual beliefs are much harder to fake.

Ah, I took it as him meaning that not building the Targets was just as ridiculous as not building the mosque, i.e. supporting the mosque being built.

This is ridiculous. If the Gays boycott Target there will absolutely ZERO impact on Target's sales numbers.

Can you imagine anyone gay buying clothes at Target? I don't think so!

When I drove by the new Target location in San Francisco on the way into work this morning it did not appear that remodeling construction has been blocked.

Back