• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Family friendly activities

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
It seems there will be more youngsters and wives in attendance this year.

I can vouch for mine in saying that she won't want to do 4 straight days of wheeling.

There are some other things to do in the area. I've talked with the zipline people and we can get the cost down to 20-25 dollars a person with a 10+ group.
There's canoeing/rafting down the river.
There's a nice scenic drive on a trail that's about 7 miles of dirt a few miles up the road.
There's a park with some hiking trails also a few miles up the road.

Lets get some group activities together.

I was originally going to have to make plans for some of this but they decided to stay home. Considering my kids probably wouldn't enjoy anything in your list I guess that's a good thing.

I am open to suggestions for activities. That's just a list of what I'm aware of.

Is there any fishing in the area? I wouldn't mind catching a couple fish

Check Kentucky wildlife laws first... Most states require an out of state fishing license or you could end up with a hefty fine!

We had some kids do a small zip-line course last year and loved it!

Anyone planning on staying in camp that might be up for some babysitting? I might have a 2 y/o with me and no idea yet how she will do in the Jeep. Food or other compensation can be provided!

Check Kentucky wildlife laws first... Most states require an out of state fishing license or you could end up with a hefty fine!

We had some kids do a small zip-line course last year and loved it!

Anyone planning on staying in camp that might be up for some babysitting? I might have a 2 y/o with me and no idea yet how she will do in the Jeep. Food or other compensation can be provided!

I had absolutely no clue that you had a kiddo. lol

I had absolutely no clue that you had a kiddo. lol

I don't but a lady friend who has a little girl is planning to come to Harlan. It will be a new experience, I'm pretty sure Ed starting his boy that young but I'm sure it depends on the kid, the weather and the wheeling. Can you mount a kid seat in the middle of the back seat? It changes everything I don't know if I would take the doors off, but I have no A/C!

Venturing into uncharted territory here.

IIRC Glenn took his kid(s) around the area one of the days last year, hopefully he will post up with more info.

Nick - I know my kids would get cranky fast if they were hot for a long period of time when they were 2-5.

My boy must be built for wheelin' then, since he falls asleep going up the mountain. He was good the whole time. Just remember they need to drink a lot of water as it will be hot.

If the front lot is pretty empty, my kids like frisbee.

I'm glad my 9 year old likes wheeling. We are gonna take him on the zip line ride too so that will help keep him entertained.

I don't but a lady friend who has a little girl is planning to come to Harlan. It will be a new experience, I'm pretty sure Ed starting his boy that young but I'm sure it depends on the kid, the weather and the wheeling. Can you mount a kid seat in the middle of the back seat? It changes everything I don't know if I would take the doors off, but I have no A/C!

Venturing into uncharted territory here.

I read your first post too fast or something. I thought you were bringing YOUR 2 yo.

Zip line for sure. I believe it's only $10 per kid IF you have the trail sticker on your jeep. That gets them 2 rides on each line...ours loved it. I do not know if it's discounted for adults with the trail sticker.

There is a movie theater close by and last year my wife took our kids to see Despicable Me 2 as it opened that week...said it was a decent theater.

We brought our kayak last year and she took the kids down the river but even with the rain there were spots where she had to get out and drag the kayak across the ground or go around a fallen tree so that's something to keep in mind.

We also are planning to bring our 4 wheelers this year...and will have a ride early in the week. (Monday probably).

If it's not raining and the field at the campground is dry why not get some soccer or kickball going. All my kids love to kick a ball around and it's free easy fun and there is a LOT of room.

On the jeep days even if your kids don't like 'jeeping' when we get to an obstacle the kids and wives often all get out to watch (and because some of them cough cough are scared) so there are always breaks in the driving around which helps a lot with crankiness.

We have a projector...if someone else has a DVD player and we can rig up a screen and some sound I'm not opposed to bringing it to let the kids watch movies in the evenings. Maybe Glen's jeep would work as a screen...the poor thing only had about 30 seconds of trail time last year plus it is white so would work well. We'll just set up an RTI ramp and let Glen try it out...then when it flops over we use the roof for a screen.

Nick you can absolutely mount a car seat in the middle...I've done it and at one point both my boys were in seats at the same time so it was cramped some but it worked.

Last edited:
Oh, I missed that too. Car seats fit just fine in the middle of the back seat. Might want to attach the top center of it a little bit extra with all the bouncing around though.

We are bringing my daughter with us. She will be about 20 months in july. The plan is easy trails with her one day to see how she does and then maybe harder the next day, or the wife might chill in the RV with her and I'll do some harder stuff, so my wife potentially might be up for watching another little one.

mac 'kind of playing it by ear' gyvr

Back