• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ex's Vice-President Thread

99SJ_Ex

NAXJA Forum User
I am Austin Lee and am running for the MWC BoD position of Vice President.

A Little About Myself
A MWC member from the frozen Cheeseland of Wisconsin. I have been a member of since 2008.

I am a 26 year old High school Technology Education teacher that has earned a 2-yr Technical Diploma in Automotive Transportation from Western Tech College in La Crosse WI. Currently and a 4 year bachelors from the University of Wisconsin - Stout, Menomonie WI, in the Technology Education Major.

I got married in April of this year to Rebecca who is fast becoming a jeep-nut like me. We currently reside in the small town of Star Prairie Wisconsin.

Heeps... I mean Jeeps...
I bought my Cherokee in 2008 when I traded my 93 Ranger in at the Dealership I was working at. I have been hooked ever since; I joined in June of 2008 and shortly after met Kim, Tyler, and several others at WF 09. My 99 Cherokee is my daily driver and is always in good running condition, lest the cosmetic surfaces.

Qualifications
In my 6 years of schooling, 3 have been years in which I held executive positions in clubs/organizations. I was both the Vice President and then the President of Western Tech's Automotive club where I managed about 60 members and an annual budget of about $8,000. In my time at UW-Stout, I was elected president of the Resident Hall Association in which I managed an executive board of 7 members, ran Association board meetings worked with the Hall committees for 10 Residence Halls, utilized and maintained an annual budget of $75,000 and also developed events and fundraisers to maintain and sustain that budget. I have also advised several after-school clubs in my two years of teaching which has given me a lot of insight into how to attract attention to what you’re doing and gain support from the community as well as members from the populace.

I am an outgoing and friendly guy that participates in MWC events and discussions whenever possible. Since June of 2008, I have been at WinterFests 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2013. I have also participated in a handful of other non-sponsored events with some of the more local members to my area. I also started and maintain the FaceBook MWC Page on my own accord, until recently.

As a BoD of the MWC I will strive to maintain the positive outlook of our chapter as well as its reputation for being a hearty group of individuals that fights for their OHV rights. I feel that although we have ‘hot-pockets’ of activity, we could experiment with various methods to reach out to our out-lying regions to support those members we have there and to promote new member growth.

Being a resident of Wisconsin, in the past several years we have lost several OHV areas. I would like to work towards holding events throughout the MWC at the remaining OHV areas to raise awareness of the fragility of these lands. What we have created at Redbird, I feel, could be done at numerous other parks in areas that may be at risk for closings. I have been keeping up with the going-ons of the OHV situation in Northern WI and am all for it (you can find my name on the sponsorship page for that organization).

As those who know me have learned, I am a fun, easy going guy that has a passion for Jeeps and off-roading. Those with questions, please ask them and I will answer them as honestly as I can in the remaining time before elections begin!

I've got two questions for you sir.

1) What makes you think you are better suited for this position than your competition? He has a very proven background having experience on the MWC BOD and national BOD and now being the national president. That is some stiff competition.

2) I have seen you numerous times in the past display a dislike if you will for your students (in which you are their leader), do you feel that you would treat the director, recorder, and treasurer that way if they are unsure of how to do something (i.e. a fuel pump), or you have had a "long" day?

Thank you and good luck.

I've got two questions for you sir.

1) What makes you think you are better suited for this position than your competition? He has a very proven background having experience on the MWC BOD and national BOD and now being the national president. That is some stiff competition.

I don't know if either of us is better suited, yes Mac has had experience on the board, he's been 'around the block' which is a good thing.

I have my own experiences to base ideas and decisions on. Some of them may be 'new thinking' compared to old 'traditions'. Often BoDs (in general) may stick to the "If its not broke, don't fix it" routine, but that may not always be the best answer. Bringing light to the smallest detail can sometimes impact the whole picture in a big way.

2) I have seen you numerous times in the past display a dislike if you will for your students (in which you are their leader), do you feel that you would treat the director, recorder, and treasurer that way if they are unsure of how to do something (i.e. a fuel pump), or you have had a "long" day?

Thank you and good luck.

If I remember the last time you brought this up you pointed out it happened twice. Yes, I put my foot in my mouth and said some things that may have not been appropriate, and I apologized for those instances. IF you actually shadowed me, even for a day, I give my life to my students. I'm up at 5am and typically don't leave school till after 5pm, Mondays and Wednesday I advise my club and don't get home often till 9pm or later. IF you'd like more details into my employment, feel free to message me back-channel and we can discuss some more.

As for the rest of the BoD, I'd treat them as I treat my co-workers. We as a board need to work as a team for the betterment of the club, nothing less.

I don't understand your comment on a "long day", again message me a clarification and I will respond appropriately.

Last edited:
I was just concerned that if we were working together and me being in a position of lesser power than you that you may talk of me to others as a lesser person. I can appreciate that you simply said that it won't happen. Everybody screws up. Thanks you for an honest answer. Again, best of luck to you.

How do you handle constructive criticism? As a former member of the National BOD on a couple of occasions, I can tell you that there is no shortage of opinions on how well you're doing your duties. Is your confrontational attitude just a result of internet translation?

Does your job afford you the time to address chapter issues? You've stated that you spend 12+ hours there a day. Are you available as much as you need to be, especially during the pre-WF period where planning is ongoing and often?

Are you coming to WF 14?

Do you think that KY should be part of the SEC?

Do you think free camping is the best way to spend our ME funds?

Do you think SoCal sucks?

Sheep - Furry or Shaved?

1.How do you handle constructive criticism? As a former member of the National BOD on a couple of occasions, I can tell you that there is no shortage of opinions on how well you're doing your duties. Is your confrontational attitude just a result of internet translation?

2.Does your job afford you the time to address chapter issues? You've stated that you spend 12+ hours there a day. Are you available as much as you need to be, especially during the pre-WF period where planning is ongoing and often?

3.Are you coming to WF 14?

4.Do you think that KY should be part of the SEC?

5.Do you think free camping is the best way to spend our ME funds?

6.Do you think SoCal sucks?

7.Sheep - Furry or Shaved?

Holy Cow Questions! I like it!

1.I tend to be very direct, I feel that this comes across 'confrontational' on the internet, and I'm told my humor tends to be on the 'serious side' which probably doesn't help. I am more than capable to take criticism, I take it on an almost daily basis as society puts more pressure on the school systems. If you meet me by the fire, I'm a laid-back, easy-going guy that likes beer, bacon, and cheese.

2. I do spend a lot of time at my job. It is a full time job. I make/take time when I can to get things done that need to be done. I often spend my lunch time taking care of personal business. If theres something that needs attention a.s.a.p. I will step out at the end of the day, after my contractual time, to take care of it.
On a plus side, I have summers and holidays off, so I have loads of time to get things done then, if needed. As for WF, I can promise that whatever I'm tasked with doing will get done.

3.I have every attention to make it to WF14. It was sketchy a month or so back, but things have been worked out and I'm currently rebuilding my tow-rig's motor to make it down.

4. TBH I don't have a firm stance on this question. I think things are okay the way they are now. :conceited

5.I think that right now Free Camping is doing what it was designed to do which is draw attendance for WF. I think that unless another avenue can be thought of for drawing in new members/maintaining members, we should continue with it.

6. I don't know any of them personally, so in my book they are simply 'okay'.

7. All Natural, the more to grip with. :D

Is your confrontational attitude just a result of internet translation?

I was re-reading my posts trying to figure out where this was coming from, correct me if I'm wrong but those two capitol IFs were not meant to be that way (making me sound confrontational) My laptop has a sticky shift key and I didn't catch those before I submitted...

Anyone else have any questions? I still have a little bit of time to answer them!

You've got time to answer as long as people are still asking questions till the closing of the polls.

Why, if you're taking this position seriously, why did you wait until the 14th day of nominations to seek your nominations?

Have you any experience planning large events, like winterfest?

1. Why, if you're taking this position seriously, why did you wait until the 14th day of nominations to seek your nominations?

2. Have you any experience planning large events, like winterfest?

1. To be completely honest, intimidation. To run against someone as well-known as Mac and have a chance to succeed is very intimidating. Lets face it, guys like you, Mac, Rev, John(s) are the legacies that the newer members will eventually, one day, need to take place.
But after everything that has gone down over the last 12-24 hours, I decided that no matter how intimidated I felt, there's a job to be done that I feel I can do successfully, and that if I don't succeed, there's always the next election. This is my third time putting my hat in for an election. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

2. In my tenure as Vice President of the College's auto club, it was my duty to organize and run the clubs 'Car Care Clinic'. This job entailed finding a location and reserving/renting it, making sure we had any permits/licenses for what we were doing, setting up advertisements to the public, recruiting and organizing the student workers for the entire event, running the event, and tearing the event down. As President of the Residence Hall Association, I was tasked with delegating my executive board on every event we threw, many of which were campus-wide. I myself was in charge of organizing the first week of school event that all incoming freshman were required to attend. Again, much of the same tasks were required, plus I had to also work with dining services, grounds department, campus police and many other University departments to orchestrate the weekend-long event. Thankfully the MWC has the BoD as well as some very passionate members that always get the job done, and to this date they do a fantastic job!

You have from the 1st through the 15th to be nominated. I'm not sure why being nominated on a certain date within that time frame matters.

I'm not sure either, but I figured I might as well say my honest-to-God answer on it...

Back