• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Experimenting with off camera flash

I'm cool with getting busted by a better photographer for leaving my flash out in the open. :) I actually would prefer that than to being lauded by the masses for klutzy use of HDR or a split neutral density filter... which I see a lot of but usually keep my mouth shut. But I do appreciate all comments, this is how I learn.

BTW, I have posted trip reports using photos that had far more blatant examples of the flash being in plain view... :D
orig.jpg

Re: CS5. I agree with Ryan. It is beyond my budget aaaaand my whole goal with using off camera flash is to open up the dynamic range of my photos the moment I push the shutter release and not having to fix them in post. My favorite part of $59 PS Elements 6.0 is batch processing, checking the resize and auto sharpen boxes. This works for 90% of the photos I put online, my goal is 100%. I enjoy being out working with my camera and flashes. Time spent at my computer editing photos, not so much.

I'm cool with getting busted by a better photographer for leaving my flash out in the open. :) I actually would prefer that than to being lauded by the masses for klutzy use of HDR or a split neutral density filter... which I see a lot of but usually keep my mouth shut. But I do appreciate all comments, this is how I learn.

BTW, I have posted trip reports using photos that had far more blatant examples of the flash being in plain view... :D

Re: CS5. I agree with Ryan. It is beyond my budget aaaaand my whole goal with using off camera flash is to open up the dynamic range of my photos the moment I push the shutter release and not having to fix them in post. My favorite part of $59 PS Elements 6.0 is batch processing, checking the resize and auto sharpen boxes. This works for 90% of the photos I put online, my goal is 100%. I enjoy being out working with my camera and flashes. Time spent at my computer editing photos, not so much.

I am in no way a better photographer!

I like your stuff and have followed this thread from when you first started it, and like I said, I really like that shot. I noticed the flash sitting there before I even read the text, that's all.

I pick apart almost everything I shoot to learn from it, why I like or don't like a part of it, in the hopes I can learn something for the next time I am out shooting. To leave a flash in the photo is not wrong, some might even like it better, but if it was my photo, I would have hid it in that one photo.

In that second photo the blatant flash adds something to the photo, and I like the use of it the in that one.

90% untouched is really good, I am at best 65%, and that is after I have over shoot everything and end up deleting more then 40% of what I shot. If I could get into the 70% - 80% I would be happy.

Oh and I just got the full Adobe CS5 suite installed at work last week! :D

Please keep posting em! :clap:

I disagree, you are good because you saw the flash and knew what it was!

I was kind of forced to leave it in plain view because the trigger signal from my pop up flash to the remote is pretty weak and relies on a line of sight to function reliably. With a 17mm lens it is pretty tough to get the flash out of the frame and still able to trigger. I also was walking around photographing from various places so I was not sure what my ultimate composition was going to be.

Here’s one to show you what I consider a reject:
orig.jpg

The flash visible in the frame is only one of several problems that killed this photo. The output was a couple of stops too hot and the light was too close to the camera, creating the flat light and the prominent shadow behind me. The blurry rock in the extreme foreground is also very distracting. I ended up using one without flash for the trip report.
orig.jpg

Composition was tough because I used a 16mm fisheye and had the camera and speedlight propped up on rocks. Yes, I had a tripod strapped to my back. No I didn’t use it. I hate those things and refuse to use them for anything other than long exposures in complete darkness.

I was kind of forced to leave it in plain view because the trigger signal from my pop up flash to the remote is pretty weak and relies on a line of sight to function reliably.

I did not even think of the line of site for the flash. :dunce:

The rocks above show up better with out the flash, but the person is a little lost in the background with out it. With a little Photoshop work you could . . . :doh:

Time to start the tripod haters club? I am in! I think they are way to cumbersome and restrictive. I have a friend who always shoots with his monopod, and he loves it, but even that is too much for me. I only use the tripod for work shots, when I have to close it down, and shot slower to get everything in focus.

The flexible mini tripods are not so bad, less to carry around and really helps to get the camera just right for the shots you want to be in, or the long exposures.

Thanks for the link! It looks like Canon > Nikon in the GN department. :( If Nikon can't give me a higher output Speedlight I would gladly settle for a faster sync speed. :D

I recently coughed up 60 bucks for PS Elements 9, mainly for the ability to process the RW2 files out of my pocket cam. One of its new features supposedly is "content aware fill" although I have not messed around with that yet.

That pocket cam is great for impromptu photos, I got a great portrait of my MIL/FIL with it this weekend. Lighting was courtesy of the windshield sunshade from my wife's car reflecting light onto them via a south facing kitchen window. It made some nice, soft light and was quick and easy. The resulting portrait will make a cheap and meaningful Xmas gift for her family as the existing photos of Mom & Pop are 20+ years old.

Back