• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Experience w/ true duals w/ downpipes pre-rear wheels?

Need some pics, man. My '95 e36 m3 3.0l i-6 has 2-2.125" duals w/x as well and the banks are 1-3 and 4-6, so the naysayers that say it's pointless on an i-6 don't know what they're talking about and don't want to think outside the Jeep box.

I'll post some in the next couple/few days....I haven't taken any pics yet of the beautiful exhaust they bent! My only complaint could possibly be that I'd have preferred Mandrel-bent pipe, but nobody locally has the machinery to do so, at least novelist I've ever heard of.....but I digress :)

But what about risk of submersion? Am I gonna fry this engine if my exhaust is fully submersed (but intake isn't submersed at all)?
My exhaust had a turndown after the muffler since I got it. I have been through mud and large "puddles" up to the doors. No water.
As long as the engine is running and exhaust is flow (Of course) then the water will stay out. Considering most likely when fording through water you will be on the pedal anyways.

That's where the problem is - I do not..... :) The closest I come is Facebook but I don't think anybody would be able to view them who is not on my friends list.....

You'll see absolutely ZERO performance gain running "true duals" on an inline motor. (No such thing as true duals is what I'm getting at)

You couldn't possibly be more wrong. See:

My 335i is an inline six with 'true duals'. One turbo per front/rear 3 cylinders, and divorced exhaust all the way back.

E46 M3 is the same way. Headers are 2 pieces and seperate exhaust pipes all the way to the rear. Not that it should be done on a Jeep, but BMW must know something you don't :)

Picture002.jpg

e46_m3_undercarriage-vi.jpg

To the OP, you mean like this:

n15924564_37620888_8980.jpg

n15924564_37620887_8684.jpg

Those are 2" pipes off of clifford's dual outlet header. From http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=948682&highlight=purplecherokee+dual&page=6

Last edited:
Ummm....no, they're 2.25"......but anyway the duals made sense for me becauze I went nuts w/ this engine. I've yet to have this thing dyno'd but it pulls better than a friend's '91 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 w/ under 60k all-original miles on it. MUCH better. And that's a 300HP car in stock trim. I wanted close to 400HP at the flywheel, I'm betting I'm not too far off. But this is all conjecture and subjective - if not altogether wholly un-scientific - observations without dyno numbers....

It'll be a bit....still more work to do first that may influence the tuning.....

I'd still recommend properly tuned duals w/ an X pipe for anybody. As that other thread you posted seems to lean toward, it's all about proper setup of the engine & the exhaust. No such thing as "good backpressure".

Oh and I meant to add, this thing still has a ****-ton of torque down low. Feels like a German-engineered torque curve to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that exhaust. I know lots of guys make their XJ's into crawlers or even semi offroaders but I really wanna do a street xj and this exhaust is what I'd want on mine. Nice job.

Mine is being built as a daily driver, with occasional off-road adventures. Plus I expect lots of snow so driveability in the winter was also a concern at the forefront of my mind.

I had a thread made a while back with possibly the same setup as what you have now. It does pull real hard down low as well. But that dual setup I have is loud as hell and it's only cats and no mufflers. But if you do have the same setup, once you get up to about 4.5K -5K rpm you might lose traction again in second and third. I nearly put it in the ditch just today as it caught me off guard coming back from my buddies grandmas farm.

I have a single dual-in/dual-out muffler that the muffler shop claims functions as an X-pipe.....it's still louder than ****.....I still have to get a tranny for it, my AW4 has 210k+ miles on it....my buddy who built the thing for me said I may have to go to Toronto to find somebody to build a tranny for me, I'm looking for somebody who builds Supras since we have virtually the same tranny...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a place called I think it's Tiger Japan in Toronto. They deal with imported Japanese cars and parts. Apparently the R154 6 Speed out of the twin turbo supra is a bolt up to the 4.0L but the input shaft is short by 1/4". I'm planning on one of those as my next tranny. I don't have a pic off hand but it should have the stick a bit further back it's good up to 500-600HP.

Ye that rear I find starts to lose grip about 3500RPM. I'm running on 225/50R17 Continentals and I find it likes to lose and catch intermittently around there. Need to get a heavier clutch too, I think it's slipping as well.

Do you have a link to the 6-speed thread?? I think a 6-speed tranny would be gnarly behind this engine :) (and probably unnecessary due to the width of the torque curve - but hey it'd be fun)

.........I really really really really *REALLY* (is that enough "really"s?) want to drop a manual in. UNFORTUNATELY - it's not something I can consider with this build. Maybe after I'm a rock star, I'll build a turbo semi-street Jeep with a built five-speed.

I really appreciate the link though!! I have it bookmarked, so it's not like I'll never use it again either :)

Back