• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition XJ Build, Tech & Sources Thread

XE's Rig

OK here are a couple promised pictures - been so buried with work have not had the time to upload them since I got it back on the road!

OK from the front...
XE-XJ-rf.jpg

From the back...
XE-XJ-rr.jpg

I'll try to get my interior pics up later.

I have to say I'm totally pleased with the result so far - it was worth it to just tear down in the garage for a month of digging into whatever!

X E Ryder, your Jeep looks good! I'm looking forward to more pics.

Well let me get back to posting some other finds that may be of use to the expedition builder. Racks for inside the rear windows used to be offered but I noted they are out of stock and not soon to be back again.

I went with a pair of these gun racks, and then added crossbars between them for both hanging items and protecting a shifting loads on the Olympic rack from breaking my window from the inside!

San Angelo Gun Racks
http://www.amazon.com/San-Angelo-Me...TF8&colid=1MRUQLKLPWNXU&coliid=I1DFE9XFXW0UMS

Aluminum stock sufficient for 2 crossbars (1 each rack, 22" pcs, drilled at 19").
http://www.amazon.com/1-8x1x48-FLT-...TF8&colid=1MRUQLKLPWNXU&coliid=I27JJUR7565E3I

I have placed a spade and 4 pound axe in my racks, and I scotchbrited and painted the aluminum bars rustoleum textured black - mount with racks own hardware.

not big on the tails...

I was surprised you picked this item to comment on actually. ;)

X E Ryder, your Jeep looks good! I'm looking forward to more pics.

Thank you, I will try to get all the interior pics up tonight! :cool:

Interior Setup

OK finally got some pics uploaded and wanted to share the interior setup and a little about the electrical mods I did.

Driver side: You can see MagLite and Cobra CB plus iPad for Nav (see next pic). The coin holder was hacked for a 4 switch panel which triggers relays for: 2nd gear hold, A pillar lights, front offroad lights, rear lights. (not shown; added an OEM fog light switch and triggering a relay to front big fog lights and rear led now)
XE-XJ-Int-Switch.jpg

Passenger Side: 2lb Fire extinguisher, CB and iPad Nav connected to iPod capable deck - charges and controls stereo. My wife is a Nav guru, you should see her zoom and plot or retrace our steps on or offroad she has it covered. Yes it blocks the glove box, so let's cover that next...
XE-XJ-Int-Nav-1.jpg

Glove Box is small and worthless to me so it now houses 5 relays and a fuse block fed by two 40 amp thermal circuit breakers. Glove box light is LED and bright enough to troubleshoot or swap fuses, stays much cooler than the engine compartment so far less reactive current lost in all switchgear.
XE-XJ-Int-Glove.jpg

Dedicated dual 40 amp thermal breaker-ed accessory power - if these overload, they auto reconnect after cooling. No need to get under the hood in any weather. Fuses for separate loads in the Glove Box for easy access.
XE-XJ-Thermal.jpg

Engine Compartment: while we are here, you might like swapping your underhood light for an 1156 bulb - uses more juice but WAY brighter! I just unplug if I plan to have the hood up for awhile during service.
XE-XJ-Eng.jpg

(continued)

Interior Setup (continued)

Interior Setup (continued)

400w Inverter, Passenger Side Jam: Chose this spot for numerous conveniences, it has a USB port also! Passenger can turn on and plug into it without opening the door - handy on the road for charging something you don;t have a DC setup for. Can run my big shop vac while engine idling!
XE-XJ-Int-Inv.jpg

You know those oem D-rings in the cargo area? I pulled them to put in the Olympic rack, but reinstyalled them here under the bottom section of the rear seat. Great for tying things down on short trips, but when we camp I pull just the lower portion of the rear seat and stack out camp kitchen, table etc here and then bungee from these up to the Olympic rack - nothing moves.
XE-XJ-Int-DRing.jpg

Cargo Area Left: Gun racks with added crossbar, Spade shovel modded to fit, and you can use telcom tie wraps to act like locks to hold things in place. We hang ropes and various camping items on the upper hooks depending on where we are going. 10lb extinguisher to finish off - after helping people twice, I wish I could fit a 20lb.
XE-XJ-Int-Lt-Tools.jpg

Cargo Area Right: Same rack setup as above with 4lb axe with sledge head, only used a couple times but well worth it to have the big one. Plan to use the divit to mount my air surge tank but it's not in yet.
XE-XJ-Int-Rt-Tools.jpg

Rear Deck Lid: Pioneer 6x9's and No Sub-woofer, with our folding solar panel we can leave doors open, inside lights on, radio, iPad or CB on as we like with no discharge! I restrained myself not to put a sub in this thing - I'm a bass player! Finally, a cheap LED tent light with the "hook" side of velcro, naturally sticks to the oem carpet, and hangs in our tent when needed.
XE-XJ-Int-Deck-Lt.jpg

OK I think that is it for the interior! Didn't have any decent pictures of us loaded up on the road, we use the OEM roof rack even (did you know it's rated for 150lbs?!?), I will take some next trip out.

Great Pics and descriptions! Do you have pics of your folding solar panel? I would like a more detailed description on where you got it, how it works, etc. Thanks.

Folding Solar

Great Pics and descriptions! Do you have pics of your folding solar panel? I would like a more detailed description on where you got it, how it works, etc. Thanks.

We were going to mount a big panel on the roof in front of the luggage rack (15x45" is perfect as I recall), but theft and the inability to take it with us if we got stranded and had to leave on foot swayed us to a foldup unit.

This Nature Power unit seems to be the best output for the buck - man they get expensive fast! Claims 40w but we have seen 1.8 to 2.1 amps dc in good sun so far. I tie this right into the binding posts of my inverter (which is in passenger doorjam as above) so it's an easy connection and the panel sits on the roof. We can even bungee the panel in the luggage rack if we need to move the XJ around.
51FI84dOEdL._SL1000_.jpg

Listed specs:
40-watt monocrystalline solar panel for charging laptops and 12v batteries
Opens to lie flat: 51-inch x 16.5-inchw. folds to 16-inchl x 10.5-inchw for easy storage.
2.2 amp at 18vdc
Safe for outdoor use
Includes 12-feet wire, 10 laptop adapter plugs, battery clamps.

It comes with all those adaptor plugs also, but I don't use any of them. This one is $300 and they have a double sized 80w for $600!

Awesome! I like the cargo tie downs under the back seat - I'm often looking for a place to strap a cooler down in the back seat. Good idea!

Re: Folding Solar

This one is $300 and they have a double sized 80w for $600!

Great info. I think the smaller one would be great, but I also wouldn't mind the larger one for my travel trailer. Where did you buy yours?

I like the light on the hatch.

What Nav apps are you using in conjunction with the iPad?

I want to do something similar, but run it off of an external GPS instead of relying on WiFi or pre-loaded maps.

Nav 'n stuff

Great info. I think the smaller one would be great, but I also wouldn't mind the larger one for my travel trailer. Where did you buy yours?

Well price per watt I did not find better to buy it than Amazon.

I like the light on the hatch.

That is an Ozark Trail cheapo from Wally's Mart and it works great - has a little tent clip we use to hang inside.

What Nav apps are you using in conjunction with the iPad?

I want to do something similar, but run it off of an external GPS instead of relying on WiFi or pre-loaded maps.

Well as in page 1 post #6, the best way to get a good feel for the iPad's rundown is this guy's iPad Nav Primer; http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/08/ipad-overland-navigation-system/

Remember you do Not need a signal for GPS use! quoted: "The GPS functionality of the iPad 3G is NOT dependent on 3G coverage. However the 3G model iPads are the only versions with a GPS chipset. The wifi only models use wifi triangulation and are not suitable for overland navigation. If you have a 3G iPad you DON’T need any additional GPS hardware unless your install blocks the iPad from a view of the sky."

We primarily use the Motion X GPS HD because it is quite powerful and easy to use while underway. A couple of important things to consider and where the deciding factor for me to use an iPad:

Only GPS signal needed to Nav, 3G is only needed to cache new maps, Download maps free from USGS for use when neither GPS, 3G or any other signal is available, Huge touch screen (no GPS is bigger), numerous apps to choose from, and the ability to capture photos and video from our trips with no other device required.

Subscribed.

Unfortunately, you guys are are causing a hole to burn in my pocket, HAHA!
I purchased my 89 XJ Limited and plan to go in this direction. A expedition/dd/bug-out vehicle if you will. Look forward to more reading!

Inverters and such...

awesome! i have an ipad 2, that i'm giong to use for navi.

also, what power inverter do you guys like? does it make a difference?

You'll love the flexibility - oh and Motion X GPS HD has a button to move the large controls aside so the entine screen is the map - it's HUGE, and you can choose from a dozen different on or offroad map types with any level of detail or layering you want - we're still dicovering new options all the time!

I'm a powerplant tech - semi-geeky, but for inverters I was never too picky, but I have to say I have noted they finally have been given some nice more modern features.

The quality of the AC waveform has improved a lot in the better models, not nearly so sawtoothed as before, so your appliances won't run so hot from the lack of a quality sinewave. Next, some units, like my Cobra 480, 400w unit I bought will go into low draw standby if no AC load is present. If it gets left on it won't nuke the battery in short order. Next, if you overload the unit they used to require a manual reset and some time to wait for the thermals to cool. Now some like the one mentioned will auto-reconnect the load and keep trying to provide power. Most if not all have a low voltage shutdown so they won't completely wipe out the battery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RNOHBC/

Subscribed.

Unfortunately, you guys are are causing a hole to burn in my pocket, HAHA!
I purchased my 89 XJ Limited and plan to go in this direction. A expedition/dd/bug-out vehicle if you will. Look forward to more reading!

If you have 1 click buy turned on in Amazon it can get out of control quick hehe. I'm finished with my build and I'm glad it's done - I did drop some cash but we're all set now - it was worth it, at least I keep telling myself that. In any case, we have been having LOTS of fun with our XJ now.

Re: Inverters and such...

You'll love the flexibility - oh and Motion X GPS HD has a button to move the large controls aside so the entine screen is the map - it's HUGE, and you can choose from a dozen different on or offroad map types with any level of detail or layering you want - we're still dicovering new options all the time!

I'm a powerplant tech - semi-geeky, but for inverters I was never too picky, but I have to say I have noted they finally have been given some nice more modern features.

The quality of the AC waveform has improved a lot in the better models, not nearly so sawtoothed as before, so your appliances won't run so hot from the lack of a quality sinewave. Next, some units, like my Cobra 480, 400w unit I bought will go into low draw standby if no AC load is present. If it gets left on it won't nuke the battery in short order. Next, if you overload the unit they used to require a manual reset and some time to wait for the thermals to cool. Now some like the one mentioned will auto-reconnect the load and keep trying to provide power. Most if not all have a low voltage shutdown so they won't completely wipe out the battery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RNOHBC/
$29 is a deal! so 400 watts is plenty? i dont know much about inverters yet. saw the 800 for $17 more?

Back