• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition XJ Build, Tech & Sources Thread

Awesome post, TrailRider. No Front Skid?

I had the factory front skid(reenforced by me) but when twisted up on rocks I was bending drag links. I went through 3 in 3 trips. I have had the skid off for a year now and no issues.

I have thought about taking the factory skid and tweak/mod it some so that the clearance issue is gone. I liked haveing the skid for a couple of reasons; one, being it keeps sticks and brush away from the front of the engine and protects the upper steering some, two, it gave me a place to hang the JKS quick disco's on(I have a set of the stubs that you can mount to the frame and secure them) They mount nicely to the stock front skid.

Yep, here is my build thread on our local forum, all 23 pages LOL!

Star City Crawlers-Old Blue

I'm glad I finally got to read a buiild thread on that beast!

I have a question. It's one I've been meaning to ask as I plan my build up of that HP 30 housing you gave me.

Do you regret the Longfield shafts? The reason I ask is for my build, which is 100% Expedition rather than crawler, I want the easiest to replace part to break if it does. That would be the Ujoints on the front shafts. With the Longfields haven't you made the ring gear the fuse in the front end? I remember you broke one yanking a Yota a while back and I've been curious...

I'm glad I finally got to read a buiild thread on that beast!

I have a question. It's one I've been meaning to ask as I plan my build up of that HP 30 housing you gave me.

Do you regret the Longfield shafts? The reason I ask is for my build, which is 100% Expedition rather than crawler, I want the easiest to replace part to break if it does. That would be the Ujoints on the front shafts. With the Longfields haven't you made the ring gear the fuse in the front end? I remember you broke one yanking a Yota a while back and I've been curious...

I do not regret getting the RCV's and yes the RG is the weak link in the D-30 now but when I broke mine, it was my fault. I do not recommend pulling a Tacoma up a steep trail in reverse with a HP front axle LOL!

I built my rig to be a DD, mild crawler, handle mud/water fording and have everything tool and spare parts wise to get me home. I can clear out the rear in less than 5min and sleep in it. I carry a sleeping bag and a small folding stove. I have on-board GPS and Nav, two separate units right now but I plan on upgrading to something combined.....

......For tools I pack everything in Rubbermaid action packers(2 of them) and I use another action packer for spare fluids.....

....I also made roof sliders(weighs less than 50#) and can be used to strap on extra gear if needed.....

....I started my build with crawling in mind but realized there is a line you cross to get a rig dependable enough to run big rock. I wasn't interested in going full width at any time, just taking what I had and making it reliable.

Nice rig! Mine is toned down a notch from yours - I have to drive too many winding roads back and forth to work and decided to hold myself in check and stick to 33's. Many good comments there - I'm trying to stay behind some of the proverbial lines as well. Once you go too far, they just are not as practical anymore for everyday use.

What size action packers do you have? I have the Olympic Mountaineer rack in my cargo area and have yet to find 2 perfect sized containers to slide under there.

Have you seen a roof slider type rack that mounts to the factory rack rails instead of gutter?

I do not regret getting the RCV's and yes the RG is the weak link in the D-30 now but when I broke mine, it was my fault. I do not recommend pulling a Tacoma up a steep trail in reverse with a HP front axle LOL!

Oh ouch! For anyone not already aware, applying torque to a ring and pinion helps pull them into each other, biting in. Applying torque in reverse forces them away from each other! :eek:

Nice rig! Mine is toned down a notch from yours - I have to drive too many winding roads back and forth to work and decided to hold myself in check and stick to 33's. Many good comments there - I'm trying to stay behind some of the proverbial lines as well. Once you go too far, they just are not as practical anymore for everyday use.

That was my thoughts as well. I wanted maximum ground clearance for the diffs. Sticking with the D-30/shaved 8.25 and running 35's make most trails a Sunday drive.

What size action packers do you have? I have the Olympic Mountaineer rack in my cargo area and have yet to find 2 perfect sized containers to slide under there.

I think they are the 12 gallon, I have 3 of them.

Have you seen a roof slider type rack that mounts to the factory rack rails instead of gutter?

I made my sliders and they mount where the factory rack was and I have backing plates inside the roof for more strength.

Oh ouch! For anyone not already aware, applying torque to a ring and pinion helps pull them into each other, biting in. Applying torque in reverse forces them away from each other! :eek:

Yep, I broke 3 teeth off the RG and cracked 16. I wheeled it the rest of the day then drove 30 miles home all while the DS was still attached. It was noisy but still held up to some rock crawling.. I rebuilt the diff a week later(I set my own gears so no big deal)

Having taken my XJ on long trips over dirt roads, rocks, highways, etc I have (so far) come to the following:
Mechanical breakdowns happen, and I don't need to try and carry spare parts for everything. Only time I got stranded? AC compressor blew up. Did it give any signs beforehand? no.
Skid plates. Run a beefy transfer case skid plate. Leave the stock front skid, if you have one, intact. Add diff protection if you want to or if you play in the rocks. Gss tank skid, too. Factory is fine.
"LT" tires. I've run LT 31s, now I'm back to P series 235s. I like the P series 235s - they didn't let me down while in 4-low on my way up to the camp site, 45 degrees nose-up in rocks and loose gravel. You don't need any bigger than a 31 for "expedition" travel, and probably no bigger than a 235/75/15.
Brakes: XJ brakes could be better. I run ZJ disc and like it. WJ will probably be better still, but it isn't needed.
Suspension: upgrade hardware size on the axle end track bar mount if it wallows. Otherwise, choose high quality components when you do your routine maintenance. The stock XJ suspension is just fine for 3 adults, a dog, & a whole lot of climbing gear over a rough trail even at 14 years old. Rubber > poly for ride quality & noise.
Fuel economy upgrades: the longer you drive your XJ, or plan to, the more important these are.
Finally : be proactive about your repairs. You can hear the starter solenoid hanging on an extra second or two? New starter. Only charging at 13.4v? New alt. Belt is cracking? new belt. Etc. Don't let things get "sketchy" and they won't break on you.
Roof racks: avoid if you can. Small trailers or hitch-mounted trays are better. Aerodynamic roof boxes from Thule or Yakima are better than big open baskets.
There we go: that was pretty much everythign I know about exped. travel in an XJ.

interesting thread.. i would like to see people's sleeping setups for inside the xj... there's not a lot of room.

I'm only 5'10" so I fit fine, you 6'+ guys are screwed! There is nothing to see in mine. Once I pull the spare/tool bins/cooler out, its just a empty cargo area with no rear seat. I have a platform in place of the seat back that folds down over my spare parts storage.

Having taken my XJ on long trips over dirt roads, rocks, highways, etc I have (so far) come to the following:
Mechanical breakdowns happen, and I don't need to try and carry spare parts for everything. Only time I got stranded? AC compressor blew up. Did it give any signs beforehand? no.
Skid plates. Run a beefy transfer case skid plate. Leave the stock front skid, if you have one, intact. Add diff protection if you want to or if you play in the rocks. Gss tank skid, too. Factory is fine.
"LT" tires. I've run LT 31s, now I'm back to P series 235s. I like the P series 235s - they didn't let me down while in 4-low on my way up to the camp site, 45 degrees nose-up in rocks and loose gravel. You don't need any bigger than a 31 for "expedition" travel, and probably no bigger than a 235/75/15.
Brakes: XJ brakes could be better. I run ZJ disc and like it. WJ will probably be better still, but it isn't needed.
Suspension: upgrade hardware size on the axle end track bar mount if it wallows. Otherwise, choose high quality components when you do your routine maintenance. The stock XJ suspension is just fine for 3 adults, a dog, & a whole lot of climbing gear over a rough trail even at 14 years old. Rubber > poly for ride quality & noise.
Fuel economy upgrades: the longer you drive your XJ, or plan to, the more important these are.
Finally : be proactive about your repairs. You can hear the starter solenoid hanging on an extra second or two? New starter. Only charging at 13.4v? New alt. Belt is cracking? new belt. Etc. Don't let things get "sketchy" and they won't break on you.
Roof racks: avoid if you can. Small trailers or hitch-mounted trays are better. Aerodynamic roof boxes from Thule or Yakima are better than big open baskets.
There we go: that was pretty much everythign I know about exped. travel in an XJ.

I agree with some of that but for a multi purpose rig you need bigger tires to clear even the milder trails around here. I use a lot less throttle with my 35's to get over stuff than I did with 31's or 32's that I progressed through in my build.

With 4.88 gearing, RE 4.5 lift with ACOS in the front along with johnny jointed arms and DB's and shackle boxes in the rear to get the shackle angle correct, my rig rides and handles like my stockers sitting in the driveway. The fuel economy is just as good on the highway yet nt as good in town but not bad either. I do carry a lot of spares but i have had stuff break out of the blue with no warning. I'm a mechanic by trade and my rig is in top mechanical shape. I do pre trail ride and post trail rid inspections with a check-off sheet. Stuff will still break. And it always happens in the worst places.

Sleeping Like A King - Easy On Weight and Space

interesting thread.. i would like to see people's sleeping setups for inside the xj... there's not a lot of room.

In my case true...

I'm only 5'10" so I fit fine, you 6'+ guys are screwed!

Yep, I'm 6'4" and my wife and I can't make it happen, we looked into it, was good for a laugh. We use this tent and bed setup, because I value a good night sleep and don't feel like being on the ground!

http://www.rei.com/product/827807/rei-kingdom-6-tent-2012

pixel.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009069HW2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
51AGDtenbTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It all doesn't take but a few minutes to setup, can withstand horrid weather and has room for me to stand up straight inside. The bed is fantastic and off the ground. My back is not as cooperative as when I was younger, so a good sleep sets the tone of the next day's expedition. It all packs down into small parcels that easily fit.

I've been promising to get some pics up here and I have my XJ back together now - I'll try to do so this weekend. :)

Last edited:
Here's my Expedition style build so far
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1080904

I have bought or installed this stuff not in the build thread yet

2x6 rocker replacements w outer tube steps
Hd offroad mid stiffeners
Spectre cowl intake
Jcr offroad Trans and gas skid
JB conversions built Hd t-case
Cobra CB

And planned to come

Shackle relocation brackets
Hybrid cage
33" tires (currently on 31's)
either jeeptubes.com or H.o.r.e. tube fenders and tail light boxes.
Front and rear HD offroad stiffeners .
rear organizer box and spare tire holder (inside rear gate)
Expedition trailer

And for sleeping

I have a Tepui Tents Gran Sabana for sleeping that we love (on the tow rig)
and The Big Buddy Heater with the long gas hose to keep the tank outside the tent.
and we LOVE IT

I'm only 5'10" so I fit fine, you 6'+ guys are screwed! There is nothing to see in mine. Once I pull the spare/tool bins/cooler out, its just a empty cargo area with no rear seat. I have a platform in place of the seat back that folds down over my spare parts storage.
how do you do it? just from measuring to the back of the front seats, it's like 5ft. i'm 5'10 as well.

Here's my Expedition style build so far
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1080904 ....

....And for sleeping

I have a Tepui Tents Gran Sabana for sleeping that we love (on the tow rig)
and The Big Buddy Heater with the long gas hose to keep the tank outside the tent.
and we LOVE IT

Nice rig - hey you can use that heater in your tent, safely? I'm always worried of CO poisoning so I have not tried it.

Nice rig - hey you can use that heater in your tent, safely? I'm always worried of CO poisoning so I have not tried it.

I also have the Big Buddy and use it in our travel trailer. They advertise that it is safe for indoor use.

Before I used it in the tent i tested the Anti tip Shutoff , and the oxygen sensor shutoff. and also ran it super hot and the sides and back were still cool enough to touch . I'm convinced its "safe enough with proper precaution"
Even the front side with its spaced far out from the heating element cage . it stayed surprisingly cool . (hot enough to cause a problem if you are not careful though )

Such as it goes in the far corner away from us (on other side of me ) and I will not run it while sleeping . Fortunately the Tent really holds the heat well.
I woke up a few times cold and it takes but a minute to reheat the tent and have it be comfy for a couple more hrs sleep.
And allways bring a Cold rated Sleeping bag in case of some sort of heater failure (havent had an issue with it yet)..

Last winter fest we had snow some hail and some crazy winds from a tornado the county over. between our new tent and our new heater it was hard to get out of the tent sometimes because it was so dang comfy.

I would really like this one because NO gasses at all are introduced into the tent and it runs on a thermostat to heat you up without you waking up to do so.
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/heaters.html

Once you see that iot is a rebranded item you could find iut a bit cheaper by looking up the model and company that made it but its still Expensive.
http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/

Last edited:
Back