• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expected milage from 2WD XJ

that might be the belt driven fan... electric fan swaps aren't too hard. They make wiring/controller kits for them, makes it easy. Otherwise it's the air intake. I can't help you here, but what the heck does he think he's driving? A Buick? lol.

I think the "big sucking sound" was figurative, not literal.

my 98 2wd xj gets about 12 in city with ac.. 14 with out.. and about 22 highway at 80 mph with ac and about 25 without ac.. running 235/75/15 tires.. automatic trans..

ok i'm confused, my 4.0, ax-15 with 3.07 gears in 5th at 2k is going exactly 75mph. i plan on getting some axles with 3.55's or 3.73's to get to the rpm range that you say you're at with 3.07's. something isn't adding up!

I said (iirc) dude I work third shift. I'm just happy to make it back and forth to work in one piece here in ATL with out getting run over or nocturnal unconcious off roading...

I've gotten 19-22mpg out of my old 92 2dr 2wd ax15 on 225/70/15s. My current 2dr 2wd ax15 gets 15-17 due to the thirsty 4.6 and the heavier right foot.

ok how do you guys get 20 mpgs im only getting 13 should i
fix somthing i have new plugs wires air filter this dont add up at all

If you only get 13 on the highway, you do have a problem. If it is in town stop and go, that's normal. If you want to improve, hook up a vacuum gage and run it to your dashboard. It will teach you how to get better gas mileage.

Man, that is awful. You definately need to figure that out. What year, engine, tranny, tires, odometer mileage? Are your spark plugs dark as I would expect? Are you running a 195 tstat so that it runs hot enough? If everything seems right, I'd check out the 02 sensor. Maybe you are running in rich mode.

We're on our third 2WD XJ since 1987. The current 2001 Limited -- on stock tire size of 225/70-16 -- averages 18 city and 22 country. Highway mpg can be a bit higher under ideal conditions (most of the time at 68 mph to let the fools flow past in their packs), and in city one needs to be "off" the accelerator pedal as much as possible (gliding down to stops).

We've seen 19-city and 24-highway on dozens of tanks. Depends on who in family is driving, and, again, conditions. At 65-68 mph the highway range is pushing towards 500-miles . . fillups are definitely past 400 miles.

Back