• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exo Cage

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. Wanted to share my exo cage build for my '99 XJ. I started this back in July (when I got going on the drawings and such) and finally got it finished up this weekend.

I started with doing some 3-D work in Rhino to get a rough idea of what I wanted it to look like, and to get some idea of how much tubing I would need.

One of my criteria when thinking this out, was to be able to have the cage removable, or at least most of it, just in case the need arose.

I used the C-rok cage that he used to build as sort of my "inspiration."

cage4.jpg

Before getting into building the exo, I figured I should do some beefing up of the sub structure. I decided to plate the frame rails using 3"x3" angle iron (1/8" thick). In reading here, most people said 1/4" was way overkill, and even 3/16 was a bit thick. I also found some pretty useful info on this site:
http://1997jeepcherokee.blogspot.com/2007/01/frame-stiffeners.html

I cut the angle so I could match the change in height of the frame rails. I drilled 1/2" holes about every 6" for plug welds. I marked where existing holes were in the frame rails to make sure my plug welds weren't on top of those. I welded up the front and rear ends, and then stich welded the edges to the existing frame rails. I tried to get these stiches to alternate the plug welds.

P1020572.jpg

Since the cage tied into the sliders, and then into the frame rails, I figured I better beef up the attachments between those. (by the way, I started with the C4x4 rock rails I have had for a couple years.) I welded the front mount to the new plated rails, and added three more cross pieces to each side (1.75" .12" wall HREW tubing.)

P1020928.jpg

My front bumper started as a Trail Ready. The ends got pretty worked over the past two years, so I cut those off, welded the frame rail attachments to the bumper (used to be bolted), and welded on new wings using a mix of 2" square tubing and more 1.75 round tubing.

The rear bumper I built last winter, and am pretty comfortable in how solid it is, and using it as a rear attachment.

I used 1.75" .12"wall HREW tubing for the whole thing. As for tools, I bought a Speedway Bender for a little over $450 shipped. I have been using a Lincoln 115V 100HD flux cored welder I got from Home Depot. The flux core has worked really well for me. I higher juice welder would be nice, but I am very happy with my results.

P1020766.jpg

The following pics are a bit of a summary of the work since August, so if anybody has questions let me know.

P1020767.jpg

P1020769.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

marked.jpg

P1020924.jpg

And all finished, for now...

P1030078.jpg

P1030079.jpg

P1030080.jpg

P1030081.jpg

P1030083.jpg

P1030084.jpg

P1030086.jpg

P1030087.jpg

P1030091.jpg

P1030094.jpg

P1030095.jpg

P1030101.jpg

I did put a sleeve in each flange connection point. I had to make them shorter than I would have liked due to an oversite on my part (not all the angles of the upper tubes being identicle). Oh well. Each flange has an 8" piece of 1.5" .12" wall HREW tube inside, with 6" on one side of the flange and two inches on the other. I alternated them, so the A and D pillar have the 6" portion in the top, and the C pillar has the 6" portion in the bottom. I hope this will resolve any potential issue of the bolts shearing in those spots. I think the chances of the tube bending enough to pop those out are pretty slim.

I am happy I have the option to take the cage top of is necessary, but glad I don't have to do it all the time.

Overall, I am very happy with how it turned out. I will probabaly get to a B-pillar at some point. Due to the 4 doors, I am going to try and make it removable anyway.

The rest of the album is here on Photobucket: Feel free to peruse.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/jdbwrx/Project Thunderdome/

Last edited:
Nice cage. I like the way you made it removable. How much weight did it add to your rig? What was the total cost including tooling?

So to answer questions:

No test roll yet. Might wait on that!

As for the 3-D file: I found it free online (the XJ part of it). I used that in combination with the CAD linework that was floating around here on NAXJA. I found a few different 3-D files. I am pretty sure the one I used was a .3ds. I think there are some in the google Sketchup 3-D warehouse. It should transfer to soildworks. I wil probabaly not hand out my working portion of it, but the stuff I found online, shoot me a pm with e-mail and I can send anyone anything I have.

Weight: No exact numbers on that. The 120' of tubing weighed 250lbs according to the shipping bill. I would guess it's somewhere around there, maybe a touch more. It's spread out ove the whole Jeep, so hopefully it won't make too much of a difference. I am somewhat concerend about raising the CG, but that's the nature of the beast.

Cost: Originally I was all set o get the C-rok cage only to find he didn't make it anymore. Since I was budgeting for that, I was figuring about $1100. I should find all my recipts and do an exact break down, but here is what I remember:
Tubing - $400ish
Misc Steel - $150
Bender - $450
Flanges, Brackets, gussets, etc (didn't use everything I bought) - $150
Harbor Freight Tube notcher - $40
Hole saw - $10
welding wire - $45
URU Heavy Duty gutter mounts - $100ish (used 4 of 6 I bought)
Misc (flap discs, cutting wheels, etc) - $40
Paint - $45

That total is around $1400.

I am sure there are a few items I am forgetting. I had the welder already, but that cost me around $400.

Plans right now are just for the exo. Before I got into this, I debated between the two, and decied to only go with the exo. I figured safety plus protecting the body was a better way to go. I realize that adding an internal in addition to this would be best, but it will have to wait.

I would actually be curious to know what percentage of people are running both.

01_XJ said:
Mattyj, is your rear door usable?

Mattyj, I saw your build thread. Looks sweet!

I was wondering about the rear door as well...

My good buddy has always been talking about doing the hybrid cage like you guys, part in, part out.

It does touch on the external b-pillar bar, and so a few degrees of opening are lost. But i can still get my little girls car seat in & out. An adult can still get through if needed.... its a little squishy but once your in, your in.

PIC-0137.jpg

How did the Harbor Freight tube notcher work out for you?

these pics make me want to get off my ass and build my own cage. but for starters i think im gonna go with the D&C extreme internal cage. then if i still like my body ill go for an exo.... but those are very nice cages.

Back