• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exo Cage ideas

JohnD,

Think those b pillar supports are strong enough like that with the bends in them and no triangulation? I love the clearance in that design but am afraid it would be weaker.

JohnD,

Think those b pillar supports are strong enough like that with the bends in them and no triangulation? I love the clearance in that design but am afraid it would be weaker.

Not enough to make a difference. They are A-OK

it's all about compromise. i would ride in the back of john d's rig and not worry if it were rolled. his design looks strong enough.

An X at the B pillar would be stronger, but for my needs it is strong enough. I had to find a balance between as safe as possible and a fully functioning rear seat (three kids ride back there) and that's not the easiest thing to do :)

Sure it could be stronger but the great thing about our hybrid cages are that we are adding to the original XJ structure making it stronger. If you were to chop the top off, then yes you would need more added to that B-hoop. But as is I would feel safe in it also.

s14unimog said:
woooow dude, mad props on that build. That is some quality stuff right there. Inspiring

thanks!

Has anyone every thought about a hybrid or exo cage that works with an A-pillar snorkel?
Seems like its probably best to ditch the snorkel for a cowl intake to eliminate the headache.

380032_10150470872999577_791584576_8313719_1834511060_n.jpg

Here is my exo with an inner cage for my harnesses...

No need for a snorkel... Thats just one more thing to rub up against and rip off...

Has anyone every thought about a hybrid or exo cage that works with an A-pillar snorkel?
Yeah I had a snorkel and thought about it. I thought about working the cage around the snorkel but decided that ensuring the cage is structurally sound is more important than the snorkel so the cage took priority.

Seems like its probably best to ditch the snorkel for a cowl intake to eliminate the headache.
which is what I did.

To run an ARB snorkel with an exo @ the A-pillar, you'd probably need to buy yourself a new fender, and redrill the entry hole shifted towards the front of the jeep the width of the tube you are using added to distance from the tube to the actual A-pillar.

So if you're using 1.75" tube, and that tube is say, .75" away from the a-pillar, you'd shift the entry hole for the snorkel 2.5" forward on the fender. A-piller exo tube would need to be as close to the angle of the actual sheetmetal a-pillar for this to work, but I guess I'm assuming that's what most do anyways.

Once that's done, you can weld a small tab onto the A-pillar cage tube that would engage the upper snorkel body mount that used to be attached to the A-pillar.

Measure 3 times, and cut once and you should have a snorkel that mounts up just as cleanly with maybe a bit of the snorkel coming above the level of the fender if viewed from the passenger side fender, but the snorkel snout that goes inside the fender should have no interference from the inner fender, and other than maybe needing to trim the tube that goes to the front of the airbox, you shouldn't have any changes.

(This is all assuming there isn't a horizontal A-pillar to stinger/bumper tube in the way, and that it's been routed low or outboard a bit to accomodate a snorkel)

Its hiding in the cowl... :eyes:

Back