• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust shop claims running rich

Sorry, can't agree. Tstat opens at rated temp and closes back up when it cools down from the cooler coolant coming from the radiator. It is always opening and closing once it gets warm. Only if the radiator is too small, or the fan inadequate, then coolant never cools down enough and the tstat stays open. A Jeep should run 210 both in the winter and in the summer.

If a stat opens at 190, then the temp goes up to 210, the Jeep is running at 210.

If a stat opens at 160, the temp continues to go up as well, then will hover at that rate.

If mine were constantly opening and closing I think I'd see far more movement on the temp gauge

Sorry, my 210 number was off, it should be 195. Some other info from Googleing "auto thermostat" that may explain better than I did.

"Once at optimum temperature, the thermostat controls the flow of coolant to the radiator so that the engine continues to operate at optimum temperature. Under peak load conditions, such as labouring slowly up a steep hill whilst heavily laden on a hot day, the thermostat will be approaching fully open because the engine will be producing near to maximum power while the velocity of air flow across the radiator is low. (The velocity of air flow across the radiator has a major effect on its ability to dissipate heat.) Conversely, when cruising fast downhill on a motorway on a cold night on a light throttle, the thermostat will be nearly closed because the engine is producing little power, and the radiator is able to dissipate much more heat than then engine is producing. Allowing too much flow of coolant to the radiator would result in the engine being over cooled and operating at lower than optimum temperature. A side effect of this would be that the passenger compartment heater would not be able to put out enough heat to keep the passengers warm.

The thermostat is therefore constantly moving throughout its range, responding to changes in vehicle operating load, speed and external temperature, to keep the engine at its optimum operating temperature."

Its pretty good actually. I suggest that as an alternative to paying the muffler shop to install a heat shield. He still does need to address the underlying problem of running rich.

These are all great info.. But did you think you had a rich condition prior to the tech THINKING you had a rich condition? Just wondering

Its pretty good actually. I suggest that as an alternative to paying the muffler shop to install a heat shield. He still does need to address the underlying problem of running rich.

15 bucks for him to do it versus me buying the cookie sheet plus my time.. I'll pay $15. Plus by the time you suggested the cookie sheet, the repair had already been done (which I stated in the first post)

Last edited:
These are all great info.. But did you think you had a rich condition prior to the tech THINKING you had a rich condition? Just wondering

I have had a fuel smell on startup mainly that I thought was an injector leak. I couldn't find one. The tech said he looked for a leaky injector as well, and couldn't find one.

I have no CEL, I think I'm going to leave it alone for now. Given the weather here I'll run rich in the winter and thats about it.

Back