• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

everything new, and yet still overheating!

Sounds like the same issues I chanced. Fought overheating for YEARS. Three radiators, host of waterpumps, fan clutches, headgasket, all the stuff you changed and some more yet. The more I increased the flow (waterpump, high flow thermostat, etc) it just made matters worse, not better.

Scoring the IR gun is a good idea. Helped me. Restricting waterflow almost helped. What solved it was getting a 97+ fan from the boneyard, hooking up a rely and a switch and letting it run all the time. Simple test... unplug the a/c compressor and turn the a/c on. This will force the fan to run w/o the heat input of the a/c unit.

Seamed my issue was a thermal capacity issue. Once it overheated, I couldn't shake the heat. But with the 97+ fan running all the time, it don't overheat and can keep up with demand.

I did have to give up turning on the a/c on the trail, but I made the doors removable so it's not too bad. After a couple hard hill climbs I may have to turn on the heater to shake off some heat, but it only takes a couple minutes to get it back under control.

Just wanted to thank you. After a number of posts some years ago that CSF was no longer making 3 core radiators for our Jeeps I stopped using my XJ during summer. Low and behold I found your post, called Dirk at DPGoffroad and its on its way. I had no idea. He explained to me that apparently enough noise was made in the Jeep community that they kept it in production! My XJ never had an overheating problem until a stupid kid in a Bronco with the stereo blasting backed into me. He never heard my horn. Thank goodness there were witnesses. The body shop I think just dumped the cheapest POS radiator they could find into it as I checked everything else. They also poured pure coolant into it. Good job! The shop does beautiful body work but are the first to admit that they're not mechanics. They also screwed up the wiring on my Hellas.

Anyway I hope you reslove your problem and thanks for the info. J

Back