• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine & Trans Mounts

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
You guys have a favorite type/brand replacement for the engine and transmission mounts. Neither of mine are terrible but if they're easy to change out, why not, right?

Stinky Fab is out of stock on both. Emailed them for notification when the trans mounts are back in stock.
Ordered the motor mounts from Brown Dog (look easier to install with OEM style stud instead of a loose nut/bolt).

Thanks!

For the why not aspect:

-If they're good, aftermarket ones are generally garbage quality. I replaced my 300k mile ones with Anchor mounts and they're not bad, just not good. They have settled quite a bit in 20k miles, so they seem like they're starting to show signs of being worn and the inside vibrates a little at idle. I initially, there was zero interior vibrations, but slowly it has started happening and I'm not as big a fan as I was when I first put them on.

- The Brown Dog mounts are good QUALITY. However, they are solid. They'll shake your teeth out. Been there and done it, and I don't recommend them to anyone unless their rig is purely off-road.

-If you are ok with changing the mounts every few years, then the cheapo anchor mounts are fine. I think I paid like $6 for them on Rock Auto. They're easy enough to change, so I'll probably be putting another set on soon. Of you don't want to do that job again for another 20 years, buy them from Jeep.

cheapo reproduction tranny mount got from a big box parts store failed on first outing after install. The cheapo rubber collapsed, transfer case rubbing on cross bar, had to shim it off the cross bar with some extra long bolts and stacks of washers to make it home. Now have urethane mounts all around, stinky fab. Looks well made, several rock trips since, they work well. Dont cheap out, learn from my stupidity.

Last edited:
Aw, the hell with it. Ordered rubber OEM style from Rock Auto along with trans mount. Will be just fine.. not a rock hound anyway.

Ironman also has motor mounts. Also, M.O.R.E. I do have Brown Dogs on one of my XJs. I did not notice any increase in vibes. The Ironman, MORE and Stinky Fab use a large Clevite bushing.

Ironman also has motor mounts. Also, M.O.R.E. I do have Brown Dogs on one of my XJs. I did not notice any increase in vibes. The Ironman, MORE and Stinky Fab use a large Clevite bushing.

I can attest to the M.O.R.E "bomb proof" ones (JM600) being a far superior option to OEM - I've had a set of those in my truck for over 10 years (well before more recent players like Brown Dog came on the scene) and they're still as solid as the day they went in.

There was a slight increase in vibes right after install, but only at idle - OEM smooth at any other RPM. Plus, after a couple hundred miles to "break in", the extra vibes at idle were gone too; they've felt like OEM ever since.

I think M.O.R.E. was one of the first to offer a non-OEM mount with a rubber bushing (possibly the first - I'd only ever heard of poly prior to them coming out), but as far as I'm concerned their design is dead-on right.

I believe MORE was the first. They did not come out with brackets though, till some years back. In the past few years, both Stinky Fab and Ironman came out with brackets and bushings. I think there are some others out there selling them. I do have a set of MORE's. I haven't run that vehicle with them though.

Back