• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap wont fit.. but can I???????

Jump This said:
To heck with the diesel switch....I want to know about this used veggie oil thing...and home brewed fuel????
BTW gas just hit $2.49 a gal for reg. here!!!
Just total your VW (back it into a large tree at say.....30 mph) and use your dub engine!
Rick

A good start is at:

http://www.veggievan.org

A couple of other pretty good links:

http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html
http://ww2.green-trust.org:8383/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm

Basically do a search on google for biodiesel. There's a lot of good information out there.

Rob

Just lift the jeep 2-3 inches and it will solve all of these problems you are straining over. Put a 3" lift on it and extend the front bumpstops to where they alxe can't hit the engine... problem solved with no big fabrication needed.

Sounds like the best route to me.

We are looking at some other options. I am going to lift the XJ about 2 or 3 inches anyway. But I want to try and get as much clearance now otherwise the lift might not benefit use on the trail. It might work great on the street but as soon as I compress the front it drives the axle deep into the oil pan taking out my oil pump. The oil pump sits about a 1/4 inch above the pan and cant be moved. We can forget any idea's on modifying the oil pump and pickup tube. Those arent in the cards for this type of engine. I am investigating making the lower pan more narrow. If I can take an inch to and inch and a half off each side that just might work. We still need to get all the correct measurements to see exactly how the engine is going to fit into the engine bay. I only wish I could make the AW4 work with this engine.

Need More Input

Got to make this fast cause family is in car and we are going out to launch some rockets...

Ok... The center of the crank down on the diesel is 8 inches... go to your XJ's and measure from the oil pan where it bolts to the engine and down... right in front of the steering stabl, and past the axle... you will see that the oil pan is resting right ontop of the axle tube... anyway its 11 inches wide.... same width about as the 4.0 oil pan... let me know what you guys think might work and other clearance issues... might not be as bad as we thought...

got to run.

Can you fit a Cummins 12V Diesel from a 1994 Dodge 2500 into an XJ...I may have a line on totalled Dodge and was wondering if the length of the inline 6 is just too long or what? Dana 80 rear/Dana 60 front NV4500 + a Cummins Diesel. One stop shopping for parts...sort of :)

Diesel Update

I wanted to let everyone know how things are going. I actually dropped the project. I did this because I needed a vehicle now. So I traded the blue XJ with no options and my old mercedes for a red limited edition. Same year as the blue one but has all the creature comforts.

The mercedes is a good diesel. But it wont fit in the XJ without either a ton of money and/or a huge lift and then you arent gaining much because of the front sump sitting so dam low.

Now I am looking into another option. The VW 1.9TDI or 1.9Td I spoke about before. This engine is lite and fits and has ample power. Will talk more about this later in another thread when the time comes. For now Im going to try and enjoy my new XJ. Thought I'd at least let those interested in the 240D swap know what was going on.

Thanks for the update... sorry it didn't work out.

Stick said:
Not to steal the tread, but how does this whole veggie oil conversion/ manufacturing thing work....very ...very interested. :farmer:

2 seconds on google and typing in "biodiesel" would prove awful enlightening....

Re: Diesel Update

MountainGoat said:
Now I am looking into another option. The VW 1.9TDI or 1.9Td I spoke about before. This engine is lite and fits and has ample power. Will talk more about this later in another thread when the time comes. For now Im going to try and enjoy my new XJ. Thought I'd at least let those interested in the 240D swap know what was going on.
You do realize, don't you, that you are now required to keep us up to date as this develops? I can hear the drool hitting the virtual floor all the way out here in NJ.

I'd bet that the TDI is probably the better of the two you mention, but what I'd be concerned with is the turbo - according to what I've heard, extended idling isn't good for the turbocharger that they use on that engine. I'd be concerned that the long periods of idling that one can encounter on the trail could prove harmful in the long run. Are you planning to take your chances with the VNT-15, or swap in some other turbo?

Rob

I own a 2002 Jetta TDI. Have just over 50K on it. Still runs great. I am still lookin into the swap. It will have to be a 5speed conversion for me as well. Automatics are ok but I would rather do it with the 5speed because thats what I know the best. To bad the AW4 doesnt like other engine swaps.
It isnt going to be until next spring. My wife just lost her job so our budget is... well we dont really have a budget now. I will end up getting a used 1.9TD or 1.9TDI. I am leaning more towards the 1.9TD at the moment as it will be a much faster conversion. Also I am thinking about moving the IC up into the hood like on the Euro VW's.

But all in all the engine should put out enough power to get the XJ down the road and trail. The XJ and Jetta weigh about the same.

will get more info later as things develope.

Don't give up. I have a 84 300 turbo MB diesel in my 89XJ. I bought the jeep with a dead 4 cyl. I put the diesel in the same place as the 4 cyl using the AX5 trans mounted in its rear mount. I used the 4.0 radiator with dual electric fans. I had to raise the jeep 6" and use a 5" drop pitman arm and cut and extend it another 1 3/4" to get the drag link to clear the pan. I used a control arm and bracket from Rusty's but had to modify them. The jeep has 4.10 gears and 32" tires and will cruise at 75 mph and get 21 mpg. I have been driving it daily for 7 months and love it. I don't entend to get this into rocks but do alot of desert driving. Good Luck

Im still going to lean towards the 1.9TDI engine. They are easy to adapt to a suzuki samurai transmission so it shouldnt be to difficult doing the same with an AX5 or something else. I do want to keep my tcase. I dont want to lift it to high... for me this is just a rig I drive to and from work, school, family, and offroad. Weekend warrior rig. I can do more after I graduate college.
With the right gearing, tire size, etc... I hope to get into the 30's for mileage.

Has anyone here actually done a diesel conversion in an XJ? I have been thinking about this for a while now and found one engine on ebay they called a mitsubishi cantor engine the supposedly bolted right in in place of a 4.0. I would be interested in eveyones ideas as I am pretty serious about doing this and have the tools and ability to do so just not the knowledge about diesel engines.

Back