• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Running Too Cold 160F

87manche said:
Running a lower temp thermostat does not make your system cool better. The purpose of a t-stat is no to cool the engine it's to keep it warm.
If you have to run a 160* t-stat to keep from overhating then you've got other cooling system issues.

my cooling system works great, i just like it to run a little cooler than normal. whatever temp t-stat i get thats the temp it runs.

-Tim (jeepnuts311)
(this is my brothers name, im on his comp)

Thx guys for all the help on this one, apparently that was the prob....I drove the jeep a few mornings (cold wheather) after the thermo change and it warms up within a few min of driving.

pete

I thought they always keep a receipt copy, and give you one....

Well, congrats. I just added a Stant Superstat thermostat and am happy.

A guy on JeepsUnlimited was saying "even superstats don't work correctly in a Chrysler" engine......so I asked him what he meant, and I'll let ya know if I get a response and explination.

I have a superstat in mine, after I went through 3 regular ones I decided to splurge and see if the $10 one worked better than the $4.
It does.
I think that t-stat's are just really hit or miss as to the quality. I pulled the fualty ones out, put them in a pot of water, none of them opened anywhere near what they should have, and they weren't consistent either.
I should say that I had one regular stant that worked well, but an extended period with the temp guage in the red killed that one.

Could be a possibility that the radiator cap is not holding the pressure....:cheers:

I took my 2 month old AutoZone thermostat out and replaced it with the superstat. Before i threw it away I put the AutoZone thermostat in a pan of boiling water over the stove....

Well it never opened. And water boils after the temp it is supposed to open, right?

Blaine B. said:
I took my 2 month old AutoZone thermostat out and replaced it with the superstat. Before i threw it away I put the AutoZone thermostat in a pan of boiling water over the stove....

Well it never opened. And water boils after the temp it is supposed to open, right?

Check out this link. You can calculate the boiling boint with the online tool there. Boiling point varies with altitude, or ambient atmospheric pressure, high and low pressure weather systems.

I plugged in 10,000 ft. altitude and got 193.6 F :cool: as the boiling point.

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

Blaine B. said:
Can't be driving a 90 Wagoneer up there then, can ya lol.

No, Not with out a pressurized system, LOL!:D

:compwork: But wait, :idea:if I disconnect my coolant temperature sensor, & O2 sensor, & remove the thermostat, and let it run real rich (and of course if I owned the local oil well, :laugh3:) I could run a leaky, open coolant system way up there at 10,000 ft. :woohoo:, cause it would never reach 190 F.

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

Last edited:
Back