• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine ping

Yes thats what the knock sensors for. The 2 techs I talked to said thats not going to fix the problem. I'm going to replace the temp sensor this weekend hopefully and see if that helps. I had another A tech from another dealer tell me try the MCCC if that does not work replace the temp sensor for the computer.

Well I listened to the techs from the dealerships and still have the f'ing ping. I should have listened to you guys. I'm going to buy the knock sensor this week and put it in and hopefully that will solve the issue.Thank everyone for there info and sorry for not listening.

I had a 97 with a mystery ping. It ran perfectly with 92 or 93 octane fuel. With 87 octane fuel, it would ping, like mad, under a load. I tried all the usual stuff to no avail. Finally, for some reason, I pulled the negative battery cable overnight. The next day, I hooked the battery back up and the Jeep hasn't pinged again. That was almost 2 years ago.

I guess something was wonky with the electronics, and it reset it's self.

Just a long shot here.. but have you checked your fuel pressure yet? It is quite possible that the pressure regulator is gone bad and leaning out the motor at upper rpm's causing a ping.. Especially if its the original one on your renix era XJ..

No I haven't thought about checking the fuel pressure. I'll have to check it this weekend and my buddies shop. Thank you and plan on changing the knock sensor also just to see if that fixes it.

Back