• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine oil! ZDDP! Rabblerabblerabble... A testimonial.

Ok.., so I've an '89 RENIX 4.0, man. trans., 190k, etc. Just what oil do you guys recommend for the XJ? Too much of one type additive eats/plugs up the CAT, and too little of another additive type provides less tappet/cam protection, etc. My local stores only provide SM protection, and according to the consensus here, it is frowned upon. I tried some syn., but it has caused both crank seals to leak.., as I reckon they were past their half-life, and now a mechanical fix is required, (ordered them July 7th, and yet to arrive). After the fix, I gather a fully synthetic would be ok, but for now, luckily, I just got some SJ, the last of it, (bought 6 qts, two left on shelf), at NAPA.., and now what? Guess I will wait until I am sure of what is correct for our older XJ's, and order a case on line. So, anyone have a good list yet for old seals, new seals, what to avoid, what is best? (read this thread a couple of weeks ago, and me brain pan remains confused since then, lol).

First off consider climate and weather, and age of the engine, and pick a best multi viscosity range for your own temperature extremes, weather. I have to use 20W50 on mine, you may need 10W-30 up north for an old engine in cold climates.

Then decide on synthetic or dyno oil. Old engines leak synthetic like a sieve!!!! I use 1 quart of 20W50 in 3000 miles in 100 F weather in Houston, and it ate 1 quart of synthetic 20W-50 every 200 miles here in a trial.

Then the API spec is the next trick. If it has SM on the label run. You want SL, on the label and no SM or SN on the label if you can find any.

Diesel oil with a CH-4 PLUS label (API label) is better if you can not find the above SL only on the label.

Damn, it's been so long since i read this I forgot to stay away from sn as well, just went to vatozone and found chevron 20w50 on sale for 279 a quart so I stocked up. all it has is sn on the back, no sm or anything else.

The SN is totally new, and I have no idea yet what it requires, only that I read they were replacing the ZDDP with ZDP, but no word on how well it works, or how much each oil is using.

Well according to your link it says not to use the new API sn formula as it has even less than sm. I'm taking this crap back now as I have no desire to be the guinie pig with this new oil while on the rubicon this weekend.
Back to Wally world for some delo 400 and the and a bottle of red stp.

Back