• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine light on, not sure why at first glance

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
2001 XJ...3.5" lift....

Engine light just decided to come on today...and stay on.

It is at 14 volts, running at 210 degrees. The oil is full, as is the coolant reservoir. The oil pressure was at 50 during accelleration, down to 35ish during idle in gear, and at 20 during idle in park.

At first glance I can't find anything to cause this. I did notice that my auxiliary fan is coming on, what I would consider, excessively. As well, the engine always "smells" hot, like hot oil for an hour after I shut it down.

I did notice oil on the bottom of the throttle body as well as on the inner fender well "ledge" behind the air cleaner box, and on the "ledge" under the steering box.

Yesterday, I also noticed a fairly large "thunk" coming from, what feels like, under my feet or the transmission tunnel. It is most obvious on turns (L or R..doesn't matter) and during accelleration (straight or in corners), most obvious between 20-30 mph. Can't really feel it when I hit 40. Will notice it again if I am at 40 and begin breaking (especially on a straight away). I really don't think that this has anything to do with the engine light, but I could be wrong.

Again, at first glance, I checked all the components of my drive line and lift and nothing seems to be out of place, loose, dented, or misaligned. The only bolt I found loose was one of the rear shock bolts had worked itself loose and had no nut on it.

Anyway, would appreciate thoughts. I am going to a NAXJA SEC meet and greet this weekend about 30 miles from the house, so I am hoping someone there will have a code reader for the engine light.

Thanks!

for the engine light, we're gonna need a code to help you out, you can got to autozone and they will do it for free, report back here with the codes numbers they give you and we can help.

as far as the vibration in the front, that probably has to do with the alignment or tire balance/pressure,
i want to look at your jeep anyway, im curious to see if the alignment shop put shims in or not. (caster might be a problem)

I hope to be at the M&G too, if ya make it there i can take a look at it, PM me if you need anything,

KP

That vibration...I wondered if I had uneven wear on my front tires. They were used on my old XJ, and since the alignment, I wondered if they just needed to wear evenly.

Actually, the vibration is more of a clunk. Anyone that wants to take her for a spin on Saturday is welcome to it. I would love to have some input.

Going to try to get to Autozone in Nolensville over lunch tomorrow for codes.

Yup, without codes, we're just guessing and that doesn't work real well, especially with the lack of driveability symptoms.

Post the EXACT code numbers here for comment.

Back