• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine I.D.

butch cassidy

NAXJA Forum User
i recently got an 89 xj. i was told it had a motor from a 2000. how can i tell if this is true? what should i look for to tell the differance between the renix and h.o. motor? i need to know to do a tune up and other minor repairs.:repair:

If it is all 2000 look at the intake manifold if the ends are curved at the ends it is 99 plus motor if they are more of a 90 degree bend it is pre 99 . That is if they used the entire motor .

One major difference between the early 4.0 and the later one would be the lack of a distributor, but that would only hold true if the previous owner swapped over everything. Intake manifold will be of a different design and the serpentine belt tensioner is moved from under the power steering pump to in betwen it on a seperate pulley. You should also be able to decode the casting numbers from the block , but I don't know how to do that on these yet? Maybe somebody else could tell you how and where to look.

RandyD71 said:
One major difference between the early 4.0 and the later one would be the lack of a distributor...

Coil-on-plug ignition came about in 2000, 1999 and previous still had distributors.

Dave

butch cassidy said:
i recently got an 89 xj. i was told it had a motor from a 2000. how can i tell if this is true? what should i look for to tell the differance between the renix and h.o. motor? i need to know to do a tune up and other minor repairs.:repair:

The casting no. is stamped on the driver's side of the block so take a look under the manifolds, read the number, and post it here so I can see it. You'll also find the engine number stamped on the passenger side of the block just behind the AC mounting bracket. Post that as well and I'll be able to tell you the exact date the block was cast.

CantonXJ said:
Coil-on-plug ignition came about in 2000, 1999 and previous still had distributors.

Dave
I think this was a mid year change. As far as the original poster, I do have some pictures that would help. Send me your email. I think the main question is weather the electronics has been changed over. It might have a 2000 block and head. But did the previous owner change the wiring. The first clue would be if it has the single coil on the passenger side wheel well or the coil pack on the engine.
Tom

Back