• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine help!

vbjornsson

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have a question about switching in a rebuilt motor into my 94 HO xj. I want to make moab this year but my 94 HO 4 liter is feeling very tired. Its leaking like crazy and im very sure that the previous owner took very bad care of it. im getting like 8 miles to the gallon right now and theres a bunch of problems. But the thing is I have the chance to get an older non HO motor thats been rebuilt if i act quick. From what i have read ive got that the older non HO motors had less horsepower, but better low end torque right? Do you guys think i should do this or should i wait to find a HO? The motor would cost 3000 installed w/ new headers and other goodies. Just wanted to ask someone who had experience with these kinds of things. Thanks for any help.

Victor

The biggest changes from the 1987-1990 (Renix) and 1991+ 4.0's (H.O.) were to the intake manifold, computer control, and cylinder head areas. If you were to take the 1990 block, have some head work done on your 1994 cylinder head, and then add the header and other goodies I think you'd be set.

:)

vbjornsson said:
Hey I have a question about switching in a rebuilt motor into my 94 HO xj............ The motor would cost 3000 installed w/ new headers and other goodies........... Just wanted to ask someone who had experience with these kinds of things.
Victor

I would run like the wind. :helpme:

If you could get it for $300, I'd say go for it, but for $3,000, you can get a rebuilt engine to match your 94. This is not a good deal.

ratherbcamping said:
If you could get it for $300, I'd say go for it, but for $3,000, you can get a rebuilt engine to match your 94. This is not a good deal.

I agree completely, except, instead of paying $1000-2000 for a reman'ed longblock, rebuild yours.

A complete longblock rebuild kit (including piston rings, headgasket, rod and main bearings, and all seals/gaskets) shouldn't be much more than $500-600... Rebuilding engines isn't hard, you just need to be patient, take care to follow instructions, and you will get another 150k out of your motor pretty easy :party:

Some links:

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/rebuildkitsamc.html

http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-rebuild-kits-amc.shtml

http://www.rpmrons.com/JeepKits.html

(Stroker!!) - http://www.rpmmachine.com/amc-stroker-kit-4l.shtml

(Decked out 4.5L kit, just over $1200) - http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-147-15-jeep-40l-to-45l-stroker-crank-kit.aspx

The only problem is that i dont really think i have the skills to rebuild my own engine. Im only 18 and i dont have the time or the knowledge to even begin thinking about rebuilding my own motor.

As far as just the differences between the HO and the non HO goes, is the HO really that much better? Does anyone think that the better low end torque of the non HO is a benefit?

Oh like i said before the 3000 would cover the engine, installation, headers, and some other upgrades.

What would be a reasonable price for a rebuilt HO?

Prices are totally different up here in Canada but I have been searching lately too for a motor for my 93 ho, for the possibility I will need one for either my dd 93 or work in progress 87 d44, availabilty of 4.0's is not a problem, problem is they all have very high miles, I recently found a 98 motor with under 60,000 miles and jumped on it for 850 clams, probably high to you guys in the states but up here, not too bad, and a steal for the mileage.

vbjornsson said:
The only problem is that i dont really think i have the skills to rebuild my own engine. Im only 18 and i dont have the time or the knowledge to even begin thinking about rebuilding my own motor.

I rebuilt my first Honda 1.6L @ 18... now I'm 22 and have another 12ish under my belt...

It's all a matter of mechanical potential: if you can switch out axles, pull an intake manifold, do some basic wiring, replace a thermostat, that type of thing, then you can DEFINATELY build a motor. Gotta start somwhere :D

vbjornsson said:
Oh like i said before the 3000 would cover the engine, installation, headers, and some other upgrades.

If this motor is in good shape, and you trust the seller, then that's really not a bad deal. The install would be pretty easy, the bolt-ons are nice, but it all comes down to the longblock: if you know it's gonna be good, and last you a while, and you can't do any of the work for yourself, then go for it.

tkjeeper said:
I recently found a 98 motor with under 60,000 miles and jumped on it for 850 clams, probably high to you guys in the states but up here, not too bad, and a steal for the mileage.

I don't know my Jeeps too well (yet), but that seems like a great deal to me... with only 60k? I'd do it :D

the engine comes from jasper engines and the guy thats installing it is a pretty good mechanic that i know personally and he gets a deal through jasper. He works on really nice cars like mercedes and bmws so im pretty sure he is competent enough to help me. Hes worked on my jeep before and i like his work.

vbjornsson said:
the engine comes from jasper engines and the guy thats installing it is a pretty good mechanic that i know personally and he gets a deal through jasper. He works on really nice cars like mercedes and bmws so im pretty sure he is competent enough to help me. Hes worked on my jeep before and i like his work.

as long as you have someone you are happy with, and trust, then i wouldnt second guess having them put a motor in for you.

i wish i could find a mechanic i trusted. well, sorta ;-)

What kind of warranty do you get with the install? Here in Phoenix, before choosing to rebuild mine, I got quotes for a long block of from 1000 to about 1300. That last place would then do the install for 700 and give a 3y/50k warranty. Those prices included exchanging the old engine for the new so you might ask if your mechanic is going to get that back from Jasper. Most of the internet based engine rebuilders were closer to 2000.
Like you said, engine, installation, headers and other (?) goodies

Also factor in the cost of machine work, other parts outside the rebuild kit, cost of extra tools if this is your first time and general calendar time to get it done - would you rather be rebuilding the engine or wheeling?

Beyond the 5-600 for the bearings, rings, gaskets rebuild kit you'll probably want to replace the cam and lifters, pistons(if they're not in the rebuild kit) water pump, motor mounts, thermostat, hoses and oil pump for starters - so figure another 3-500 for that stuff.
Machine work will be another 5-900 - with an old dog motor you'll need to bore the cylinders to make them round again, probably deck the block and head, replace cam bearings, valve job, possibly align bore the main bearings, etc..
It all adds up.

Ok, looks like the engine rebuild kits mentioned by Lost_Honda_Pro for 5-600 come with pistons, cam, lifters, timing chain, oil pump in addition to bearings & gaskets so subtract those from the additional costs mentioned above.

A second thought - consider selling your heap and adding the proceeds to the $3000 and buying another that doesn't have all the problems. If you can get $1000 for yours you can get a pretty decent XJ for $4000. Don't forget to remove any upgrades to the old one if you can and add them to the new one.

Last edited:
I decided to get the engine and i already have it in possession. It has a warranty on it so thats a plus and my friend is going to put it in real quick for me so i can make moab. Now i just have to get on all the other little problems.

vbjornsson said:
Hey I have a question about switching in a rebuilt motor into my 94 HO xj. I want to make moab this year but my 94 HO 4 liter is feeling very tired. Its leaking like crazy and im very sure that the previous owner took very bad care of it. im getting like 8 miles to the gallon right now and theres a bunch of problems. But the thing is I have the chance to get an older non HO motor thats been rebuilt if i act quick. From what i have read ive got that the older non HO motors had less horsepower, but better low end torque right? Do you guys think i should do this or should i wait to find a HO? The motor would cost 3000 installed w/ new headers and other goodies. Just wanted to ask someone who had experience with these kinds of things. Thanks for any help.

Victor

I don't get it at all. Why replace the motor??? Just fix the leaks, replace the o2 sensor(s?), and thus restore the mileage.

What else is wrong with it?

Why else do you think the motor needs replacing? How many miles on on it?

Is it burnig oil, blowing smoke?

Back