• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrolysis rust removal

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I wasn't sure where to post my new discovery. If this doesn't qualify as OEM tech please remove it.

When I went to rebuild my rusty 40 year old highlift I needed to remove rust. I debated on having all the parts hot tanked, but then I came across this article.

http://m.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

Despite being told it would never worked, I decided to give it a shot. Washing soda was $3 at walmart. Other then that I had everything else in my garage.

I used some 7x1/2" bolts I had left over from an old project joined together as electrodes. Them used my battery charger for power. This is what I ended up with.

9ae7850bd2856881ccb795f9042d7d96.jpg

Because of hydrogen gas being a byproduct I left the garage door open with my exhaust fans on. After hooking up the leads I fired it up. I decided more is more so I ran my charger at 12v 50amps. The results are impressive. After a few hours in the bucket, and a quick scrub with my wife's kitchen scrubber this was my result.

4c2b3fd18cdc741a61d00c7a27a5f635.jpg

I was very impressed with how well it got the intricate parts clean where I would have spent an hour with a dremmel. The one spring that wasn't included in the highlift repair kit came clean with just wiping it off with a shop towel after soaking 30 minutes or so.

Nothing new here. We were doing this on the farm in the 50's. It is simple chemistry. A similar technique is used to restore iron from ship wrecks.

I did however enjoy the picture with my morning coffee.

I did however enjoy the picture with my morning coffee.

She looks like she has it under control.

You can also clean off rusty crap with vinegar soaking it for a day or two. My welding instructor showed me this. Then you can neutralize the acid (the vinegar) by wiping it with a towel with some baking soda/water. Then just rinse it off with water, dry, replace.

You can also clean off rusty crap with vinegar soaking it for a day or two. My welding instructor showed me this. Then you can neutralize the acid (the vinegar) by wiping it with a towel with some baking soda/water. Then just rinse it off with water, dry, replace.
I have also heard of using molasses for removing rust.

The things I like about electrolysis are that it will not harm the base metal, and you can clean up relatively delicate parts without damaging them. I used it to clean a brush holder, then followed up with a phosphatising solution and paint. I was very happy with the results.

attachment.php
attachment.php

My fall back now tends to be my glass beader. It cleans stuff up real nice.

There is a product available now called "Evapo-Rust". Does not affect the metal or other materials other than rust.

Back