• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Cooling Fans

My 3.8L Taurus fan hangs below the bottom of the rad. about 6 inches.
I made a shield to keep from sucking in sticks, mud or leaves over this lower portion. Dual Taurus fans is WAY overkill and totally not necessary. It's actually probably not a good idea, you would never need both on at one time.

Lifetime warranty, just the right size, 1250cfm, 8amp draw, 8 s-blades

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-INCH-12-VOLT-ELECTRIC-RADIATOR-COOLING-FAN-PROCOMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46096QQihZ017QQitemZ270069451914QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

08_1.JPG

also...

cheap 180 degree fan switches...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Zirgo-180-Degree-Temperature-Control-Switch-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQihZ005QQitemZ150018850670QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

and here's an adjustable one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Zirgo-Adjustable-Temperature-Control-Switch-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQihZ005QQitemZ150018850738QQtcZphoto

just some ideas.

Gojeep said:
What year is your XJ? The later model ones had 10 blades and were stronger. If you are looking at also replacing your machincal fan then I have a write up about doing that too. www.go.jeep-xj.info

The 16" Perma-cool 2950 cfm fan you recommend arrived from Summit Racing today--I hope my install is as straightforward as yours seemed to be. I got the adjustable 180 to 210 control unit as well. I intend to retain the stock aux fan--should be interesting!

jrowell said:
How is the height of those fans? Looking at the fan I have, It looks like it would hang a couple inches below the rad...

What year fans are those?

About 12". Maybe a hair less. I didn't want them to hang below the radiator for a couple reasons (my winch goes there for one). They're out of the ones that look like retarded spaceships. IE, 90-something and newer. And they had an engine that I can reliably tell you had at least 2 cylinders. I'm not a ford guy, and I wouldn't drive a taurus if you held a gun to me.

These are the AUX fans, not the main fans.

And yeah, they'll still suck small animals into the grille.

Oh, and I think they'll be useful in the summer. I only live in a desert.

mecompco said:
The 16" Perma-cool 2950 cfm fan you recommend arrived from Summit Racing today--I hope my install is as straightforward as yours seemed to be. I got the adjustable 180 to 210 control unit as well. I intend to retain the stock aux fan--should be interesting!

Where do you plan on mounting that control unit sensor at? curious.

barillms said:
The 3.8L Taurus fan draws 3500 CFM for $40.

Exactly how thick are those things?

And what is the diameter of the blade area?

What effect is it having on your electrical system at low RPMs?

Please be as accurate as you can. That's a helluva lot of CFMs and would be awesome in the southwest deserts May through September.

Jason-RJR said:
Can't pull much air through the fan when theres nothing but the frame in front of it. I am sure it still pulls some air, but not a ton.

I'm saying it is irrelevent either way. An engine that is designed to run with liquid cooling really doesn't benefit very much from air cooling.

My fans actually fit the forking rad.

Slo-Sho said:
DSC00531.jpg

8 S blade fan on the driver side from a 94 XJ paired with a 10 S blade fan from a 97 XJ. I have the 10 blade fan triggered through a relay signal supplied by the aux fans' hot wire. If I come across another 10 blade I may as well upgrade the 8 blade just b/c they're so cheap. This all done on a 90 Renix 4l.
Hey Slo-Sho, how much room do you have between the 97+ fan and the original fan pulley? Did you have to back the studs out of the clutch fan bracket? I'm really interested in this setup since I have access to a few 95+ XJs with 8 and sometimes 10 blades. Also...how quickly does it come down from 210 or whatever once it gets there.
Thanks,
Collin

mecompco said:

Let me know how you get on with it as the guy who runs that is very pleased with it.

BigBlackHeep said:
Hey Slo-Sho, how much room do you have between the 97+ fan and the original fan pulley? Did you have to back the studs out of the clutch fan bracket? I'm really interested in this setup since I have access to a few 95+ XJs with 8 and sometimes 10 blades. Also...how quickly does it come down from 210 or whatever once it gets there.
Thanks,
Collin

I was not able to keep the original clutch fan studs on the pulley. I used 4x 5/16-24 fine thread 3/4" bolt from Home Depot which will thread in from the front as the flange is threaded. An easy way to back the studs out is to double nut it then back it out. The hottest it has gotten around here since I've done the conversion has been around 60F and these fans really do get the job done nicely. They turn on a few hairs past 210 and according to the gauge it drops to where the thermostat will almost close again (according to the telltale OEM gauge). With both fans on the temp gauge will plummet at idle in less than a minute. The benefits...MPG has risen as well as the throttle response which is just fine in my book.

Overall I'm very happy with this setup functionality wise and especially financially...I scored both fans at the yard for dirt cheap, and they are factory OEM so I know they'll last. Why mess around?

Slo-Sho said:
I was not able to keep the original clutch fan studs on the pulley. I used 4x 5/16-24 fine thread 3/4" bolt from Home Depot which will thread in from the front as the flange is threaded. An easy way to back the studs out is to double nut it then back it out. The hottest it has gotten around here since I've done the conversion has been around 60F and these fans really do get the job done nicely. They turn on a few hairs past 210 and according to the gauge it drops to where the thermostat will almost close again (according to the telltale OEM gauge). With both fans on the temp gauge will plummet at idle in less than a minute. The benefits...MPG has risen as well as the throttle response which is just fine in my book.

Overall I'm very happy with this setup functionality wise and especially financially...I scored both fans at the yard for dirt cheap, and they are factory OEM so I know they'll last. Why mess around?
Yeah, that setup sounds great. I'm definitely going to have to look into it. Thanks man.

Back