• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ed-fest! October 6th, 2012

Will want something to seal up the rear cut & fold... I used some sort of metal roof sealer in a caulk tube. And I think some spray foam stuff too... And maybe some paint, everybody has black paint right?
Gonna try to find my pics i took when I did mine; I took pic for each step, as I was going to do a write up; just never made time for that...
I'll bring cut off wheels and tools I need to do it...

I have plenty of seam sealer.

1. Dirk and the girls - 2 hot dogs and 2 hamburgers - will bring silverware, plates, napkins
2. Dan - 1 hamburger - will bring cups and cooler with ice
3. Mark - what I'll eat, will depend on how much work I do :roflmao: Bringing Hamburgers, dogs, and buns[/QUOTE]
4. Matt +2 -Eating anything.
5. Doug and better half
6. Timbo - Eating anything. Will bring chips as well as cookies/desert food.

Is this the final head count? Trying to get a feel for how much chips and desert goodies to pick up.

Tyler may come, but if he's able to, we'll just ride together to Ed's to save time... Which means I won't be there for the party 'burban ride...

Is this the final head count? Trying to get a feel for how much chips and desert goodies to pick up.

Is Allen coming? He chimed in about a plasma cutter a couple pages back.

Right now I'm planning for 15-20 people, so that should more than cover us.

Any requests for desert goodies? Going to the store tonight on my way home

Sounds good. Didn't make it to the store tonight..i'll grab something on the way out of town tomorrow afternoon.

I sure hope that it doesn't rain tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

I dont think the rain will stop anyone. Looking forward to it.

I'm not all that worried! From weather.com

Widely scattered showers and thunderstorms early. Clouds lingering later. High 62F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Well tiff got called in so were out for tomorrow. Good luck yall. Maybe next time

Yeah im coming. Riding solo. What do i need to bring?

Sorry for the lag ive been working alot.

You want to pick up some drinks Allen? Matt was going to bring them.

Yeah i got it. Ill see everyone tomorrow.

I sure hope that it doesn't rain tomorrow.

Ed... You have a shop to work in, the rain ain't gonna stop us! Ask Tim what we can do in the rain :)

Team Knoxville is on the road. Eta is 10-10:30. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

First let me start by saying thank you to everyone who took time today to come out and wrench on my rig. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. It is a great thing to have friends who are willing to help.

Mark arrived and started situating everything for the day to begin. Dirk and his beautiful daughters showed up shortly thereafter. Mark and Dirk swapped out the front seat. Unfortunately we thought we had a passenger and drivers seat but they both turned out to be passenger seats. We found the best base and seat and got it swapped. Much better than before. While they did that I installed a new drivers taillight to replace a broken one.

Next Doug, Sam, Tim, and Dan showed up. The team went to work installing the shackle relocation brackets in the rear. As they were taking everything apart, Alan arrived. He and Dirk then installed a JCR steering box brace behind the steering box while the rest of the crew installed the shackles and got the rear buttoned up.

The team then swapped the coil spacers on the front and had to do some work since one of the bumpstops had been welded on. Doug cut it off, installed the parts and then welded it back together. Then the XJ was dropped down to check ride height. It was a little high in the rear but when loaded with gear it should be perfect.

Once ride height was approved it was determined the rear shocks were too short. The rear low hanging shock mounts were cut off and modified and raised to tube height. The ground clearance is fantastic now. Alan did some cutting and grinding to make the brackets fit and Doug burned them in.

Dan decided once he arrived to go check out my heating and air unit. It had never really been serviced in the last 7 years. He did a full cleaning and inspection and got it looking great. It sure is nice to have the peace of mind that my unit is ready for winter. Thanks Dan!

Mrs. Anita arrived with the the hamburgers, hotdogs and buns and the grilling commenced. Dirk and Anita took care of cooking duties and everything was sure delicious. Everyone ate good and then the guys kept going.

Tim and Dirk installed a new valve cover gasket and stamped steel valve cover. The old cork gasket came out in pieces so this was definately a major improvement. While Tim finished it up Dirk and Dan put in my new dash so I would have a working speedometer and odometer. My Jeep only has 3 miles on it! Just like new. Ha!

Alan and Mark installed a new steering box and JCR brace on Mark's rig. They got it all fixed up and hopefully has fixed his steering issues.

All in all it was a great day. The kids played, the guys wrenched and a lot of work got done. I've probably forgot something. I can't say thank you enough to those who came out to get my rig in better shape for future trail rides.

You guys are the best and we all know the SEC rocks!

Sam took a lot of pictures. Thanks Sam! I never took my camera out of the case and I was the one sitting around the most.

It was our pleasure Ed. I had a lot of fun, and am always glad to have the opportunity to wrench on Jeeps...anyone's Jeeps! And that shop of yours isn't too shabby to work in either. Only one correction from your write up, it was really Tim and Doug that did the valve cover. All I did was help Tim pull it off!

Three miles on the odometer already? The depretiation on that brand new Jeep just hit you hard...the minute you drive it off the lot, the value plummets you know! :new: :thumbup: How'd she ride on the maiden voyage?

Now, let's get the next wrench-fest on the calendar!

Back