• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECU question? AW4--->AX15

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
I have read the sticky on the swap here on the forum. I have heard of sending my ecu in to get reprogrammed for a manual transmission or instead just modify the wiring and "trick" the computer. The cost of sending in my ecu seems a little pricey ($200+) and I dont want my cherokee to have to depend on wiring done by myself. My cherokee is a 92 that came with the 4.0/AW4/231. Can I just search junkyards for a 92 that came with 4.0/AX15/231? I have covered getting everything i need for this swap except the computer. Also the AX15 is from a 97 xj

TIA
Nick

A computer swap would take care of the transmission swap. 1992-1995 will work.

96 and earlier won't care at all. I've been driving my 91 MJ with an auto ECU for a year after my AX15 swap, both with and without the TCU connected to the harness.

All you really have to do is bypass the neutral safety switch by shorting the terminals for the P/N contacts (to make the starter work) and hook up your AX15's reverse light switch to the R contacts.

EDIT: Also, I'm not entirely sure on Tim_MN's year split. Maybe sidewaysstarion knows better than me - my only concern would be the fuel pump ballast resistor vs no ballast resistor differences in the harness, relay setup, etc.

Back