• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ebay Headlights

RandyD71 said:
I've got a set of glass diamond cut ones off of eBay. Think I paid $40 shipped and they included bulbs. The bulbs lasted 1 year. I have since replaced them with a H4 type 1255 bulb. It has a 85w/100w low/hi beam. This things are amazing. No problems with my wiring and recommend them without fail,. Got the bulbs at Napa for around $13 each.

Did you do a wireing upgrade? Homebrew or a kit upgrade?

So dont go with ebay lights, get something name brand with h4 bulbs?? And who sells a wiring harness upgrade?
hid.jpg
Is the h4 more like the Halogen or HID

I had silverstars in my ZJ a while ago, and they lasted over a year, infact when I sold it they were still going strong. My buddy put silverstars into his TJ and they lasted at least two years.
If you are complaining about changing a headlight after 1 year of use....you really need something better to complain about IMHO.

MG2000XJ said:
Whats the diff. between the fatboys and the halogen magic bulbs?
Other than the obvious output wattage, the Fatboys offer an "[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]internal vibration dampening rod that provides extra filament stability for off-road use." I'm hoping that will provide more than just 18 months worth of life.[/FONT]

I would replace the housings too, and it says no need for a wiring harness under 80/110w but would it still make a difference with it?

A. The stock wiring is designed to work with stock output wattages of 55/60. Anything higher *may* increase chances of melting insulation and fire under the hood. Do you want to take the risk, or spend $75 for another harness?

B. Does an upgraded harness make a difference? You decide...

Before:
light37.jpg

After:
light29.jpg

By the way, here's another good site to read up on lighting.

Last edited:
A D.I.Y. homebrewed step-by-step headlight harness upgrade.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

After hearing everyones stories I have condulded to go with the GLASS H4 bulb mount upgrade from ebay and give the $35/40 upgrade a shot.

I will change the bulb for a high wattage output, thus changing the wireing under the hood by following gojeep's website instructions.

If I see that water is starting to puddle inside of the housing I will use a better sealant such as some RTV or silcon < more to come it that happens.

You never know if I hit the lottery I may decide to go with the IPF kit.

But as it stands now I am doing the homebrewed route.

If you mean the E-codes I'm really digging mine so far, they also come with a rubber boot that will keep splashing off the socket by itself. and I think could be RTV'ed onto the housing and then you could fill it with dielectric Zinc paste (like you might find inside turn signal bulb housings on Wranglers) and slip it up past the H4's electrical prongs.

Hell just the zinc paste alone would probably keep anything short of complete prolonged submersion from filling the housings. Pack this boot part I'm talking about and then snug it down (it fits tight on the h4 bulb's base you can sort of push it down and compress the rubber against the housing) I think you'd be good to go for any water crossing. I wish I had a pic of them uninstalled but you'll see what I mean when you get them.

They'll never be as water tight as a sealed beam but then no h6054 sealed beam will ever put out the light these things do. Pretty much all of the reading I did before I found these ripped on the standard sealed beams for having crappy reflectors inside piss poor lens' no matter how much wattage and volts you get to the stockers they will never put light out in a well defined, usefull patern.

This mod is ALMOST as cheap as two crappy generic sealed beams.party1:

OMG!!!!!!

Incredible.

I just did a super duper harness upgrade (dual 40amp relays, 8 gauge cable, loomed, real clean). I also installed the AutoPal E code housings with 90w/100w bulbs.

Fricken amazing I tell you. I thought the Silverstars were incredible, and I really stood by them. But I put these on and I cannot believe it.

Note: If you opt for the 'City Light's, they will not fit without modification to both the city light socket AND cutting the headlamp baskets on the Jeep. However, I find them nifty and worth it. Why you ask? They are a small, additional bulb in the housing that lights up, but does not project very much light. In the past, i have always wanted something really dim for driving through campgrounds and what not. Enough to see, but won't disturb anyone. For this purpose, they work great. Also, when I remote start the Jeep (remote starter alarm) they light up so it helps find the Jeep in parking lots or in the middle of the forest at night at the end of a hike.

Anyways, back to the main lights.....

I was really concerned that a 90w lowbeam would be blinding to other drivers, but it is not. The housings have a nice tight cut off that keeps the light on the ground, and not up in the air. The visibility increase is amazing. Nice, even, wide and far illumination. Honestly, I would say about 3x brighter than the SilverStars. And 200% better illumination.

The highbeams are just outrageous. It looks like I am lighting up a runway for a 747!

Back