• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy trails

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone recommend an easy trail for me and the famiily to check out this weekend? We just got settled in after a long move and want to see some nice scenery. Thanks.

riverfever said:
Can anyone recommend an easy trail for me and the famiily to check out this weekend? We just got settled in after a long move and want to see some nice scenery. Thanks.

Its a little drive for you but.........
South West corner of Colorado, The San Juans.
FANTASTIC scenery !
Here is a link. Check it out...............

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html
click on a trail name for a little info and pics

All of the trails are easy (depending on your skills) and can be done in a stock 4x4, except Poughkeepsie.
If you dont mind shelf roads, Just pay attention to where your tires are.

DISCLAMER: i have not done Black Bear, so Iam not sure about it.
I can let you know in about 2 or 3 weeks. Iam going agian
next week.

Get you a book called "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails"
by Charles A. Wells VOL. # 1
Its a FANTASTIC book, LOTS of info.

pics from my trip last year............
http://photobucket.com/albums/v455/drifto77/
click a pic to see it bigger.

Hope that helps you out. ;)

Ask Terri.... Joking just pick up the Charles Wells guide books they are great for easy trails with good directions

Check out the Shelf Road, and Phantom Canyon road that head south out of Cripple Creek. Drive Rampart Range road into the Garden of the Gods, or north to 285. Drive Old Stage road into the Springs. None of them are 4wd roads, but there are a few side roads off of them that 4wd helps with. Mt. Baldy trail off of Old Stage Rd. is an easy 4wd trail You should be able to find all the above roads on a map and they are all scenic drives.

Fred

If you are in Woodland Pk, zip over to Buena Vista and drive either Weston Pass or Mosquito Pass, both north toward Leadville, and both bring you back into South Park, headed back toward home. Or head south to Canon City, up the Arkansas River to Coaldale, over Hayden Pass into Villa Grove, and back into Salida. Nothing overly challenging, I think the big guys rate Hayden a 5 (out of 10), great views from all three, no cliff hangers.

Fred said:
Mt. Baldy trail off of Old Stage Rd. is an easy 4wd trail You should be able to find all the above roads on a map and they are all scenic drives.
Fred
I'll second this one.

A little longer of a day you can take Boreas Pass from 285 to Breckenridge, eat lunch, take rt 9 back to 285. It is passenger car friendly but great views.

I'm totally new to off roading. I am still working on getting my Jeep trail ready. It needs tow points front and back and some protection. It has 3" lift and 31's (now I see those as kind of a detriment though b/c I can get in even deeper crap before I get stuck). Yesterday I went out exploring a bit. There is a trail marked as a Jeep Trail on my Gazetteer. It's near Lake George. I ended up being on some Forest Roads (#201). I know I'm a puss about getting nervous but I just don't know what my vehicle is capable of. I'm trying to be responsible by not wheeling alone as well. I did use 4x4trails.net last night. I think I'm looking for trails that are 1-3 for now until I figure out some things. I think I'll start with Shelf Rd. this weekend and take it down to Canon City and then depending on how I feel afterwards, take Phantom Canyon back North. Thanks guys...I appreciate it. I'll let you knowhow it works out.

-Chris

If you enter 11 mile canyon from Lake George take the first left available to you about half way out. There are many small dirt roads and minor easy trails in that area that you could spend a couple of hours exploring. I think this might be FR244

Back