• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy,I'm new to this

evil dead said:
if you'e done air ride suspensions in the past (linked?)
why not build your own?
you should have fab experience.

Or...buy some long arms up front, link the rear and bag it you could make a killer system if you know what your doing and ride quality could be awesome

This has to be done on a reasonable budget since I'm getting married in a year and I live in an apartment now so I have no place to fab anything up. I'll be installing it at my buddies shop back in St. Louis and it has to be done in a weekend since it's a daily and I work mon-friday. At the same time, I'm going to be starting on my new minitruck project at my dad's house since I can go there on the weekends and work on it whenever and it's no rush(stockfloor bodydropped mid-80s Ranger; old school street rod style).

Since I keep hearing that it'd be cheaper to just piece a kit together, does anyone have a parts list and suggestions on parts to use? I'd like it to ride nice on the street, and be able to flex out when I wheel since I'll be in alot of creekbeds, riverbeds, and woody trails. Like I've said before, I'd like to stay between 4.5" -6.5" on 33's.

Just go with the RC lift, don't forget the brake lines.. RC comes with upper an lower adjustable arms, this helps for the alim.. Enjoy your time working on the toys now.. 1 year she will bitch about you always working on them lol

scottmcneal said:
Just go with the RC lift, don't forget the brake lines.. RC comes with upper an lower adjustable arms, this helps for the alim.. Enjoy your time working on the toys now.. 1 year she will bitch about you always working on them lol

The RC lift actually only comes with the lowers, but it comes with brakeline relocation brackets also. In a year, hell, she bitches about them now. I had to hold off an extra month on buying her engagement ring because I had to replace my compressors on my Ranger! That went over like a turd in a punch bowl! I think I am going to just go with the RC lift though. Now to decide on 4.5" or 6.5".....

alexer03 said:
if you dont mind trimming your fenders then id stick with a smaller lift and a lower COG

I was actually thinking about that. Would I need to change anything if I bought the 4.5"RC kit and added .74" coil spacers and .75" drop shackles? That'd give me enough lift to not need to trim anything...

So I've been looking around all day and have talked to a few of my wheelin buddies and we all said the same thing, I've decided to go with the Rusty's 4.5" kit instead of the RC kit since it comes with an adjustable trac bar instead of just a drop bracket to reuse the stock bar and brake line extensions instead of just relocation brackets for that also. It just seems like a more solid kit overall. Any opinion/suggestion of why I shouldn't do this? Then I'm going to add .75" coil spacers up front and .75" shackles in the back so I have no problems clearing 33's.

Rusty's has improved a lot on their springs. Call and you'll likely end up talking to Zach (Rusty's son). After your order ships, you'll be able to call back and get a tracking number for it. I bought my RE lift before I knew the guys from Rusty's, if I could've changed that, I wouldve gone with a Rusty's LA kit, but it can always be upgraded.
As far as installation....you don't have a lot to worry about. Just PB everything like the other guys said and it all goes back in the same way it came out. Don't get PB blaster on any bushings (I melted a leaf spring bushing that way) and make sure to get your rear, upper shock mounts, since they often break. (like on my rust-free 99)
good luck, and post pics!

Back