• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dusy Ershim questions for you experienced jeepers

notamechanic

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I've got a few questions for anyone who has experience on the dusy ershim or similar.

Planning on running the Dusy around late august with two friends.
My friends are in jkurs, both on 37s decked out with all the greatest equipment; I'll be in my 2000 xj.

Just wanted to know what I need to do to get her ready. So far I've installed a 4.5" zone lift. I'm planning on 33" tires, ZJ tie rod, rock rails and bumpers with some recovery points and a spartan locker up front with stock 3.55 gears. I'll pack extra u-joints, driveshaft, and axle shafts.

What else will I need, or need to do to the jeep? I've been told the trail is hard, but not too bad, just has a lot of tight lines.

As long as you have the tools, equipment, spare food and water. Things to start a fire. Things to put out fires. Good spare tires. Tire plugs. Air compressor. And lots of warm dry clothes. You sound to be good with parts. Bring some spare steering and the items you listed.

It's dry up at those altitudes so tons of water.

Bring gas,
A buddy of mine that knows this old school Doctor that wheels that trail every year said they have ran out of gas before and have seen tons of people run out of gas on that trail. Get some rotopax and top off at the trail head.

what rear axle (better be a 8.25 ) ? belly skid? which trackbar?

Id highly recommend a locked rear too if you are just on 33s and 4.5" with stock gears, if you had deeper gears or a geared T case or something I wouldnt be so worried.

Unless you wheel your XJ like I wheel my MJ, then at that point, you'll be fine.

Bring gas,
A buddy of mine that knows this old school Doctor that wheels that trail every year said they have ran out of gas before and have seen tons of people run out of gas on that trail. Get some rotopax and top off at the trail head.

what rear axle (better be a 8.25 ) ? belly skid? which trackbar?

Id highly recommend a locked rear too if you are just on 33s and 4.5" with stock gears, if you had deeper gears or a geared T case or something I wouldnt be so worried.

Unless you wheel your XJ like I wheel my MJ, then at that point, you'll be fine.

I'll add extra gas to the list.

I have the 8.25, no belly skid as of now and a rough country adjustable trackbar. Not planning on gears or a rear locker for at least another year, because I want a selectable in the rear. I'm planning on 35s next year and will re-gear before then.

But also, I baby my jeep offroad and always try my best to pick the best line and take it as slow as possible.

Back