• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

durango steering gear pictures

Nice write up!

On mine I rebuilt the box myself. There are two "stops" inside the Durango box that limit steering. One is a ring at the bottom of the main bore and the other are lumps cast into the removable aluminum cap. once removed you get full 90 degrees of pitman arm action. Also, I found the larger body of the Durango box required a thicker spacer between the box and the frame rail. I also tapped for hydro assist during the rebuild for future upgrades.

So I just put one of these on my 96 xj along with a c-rok box plate. I bought the box from rockauto.

I am getting a bit of binding when making right turns < 5mph. I can still turn but it really catches you off guard because it does not happen all the time.

Initially thought it was my power steering pump but fluid levels are fine and I bled the system and got all the noise out. I was reading in my service manual about the column coupler shaft being able to bind but I don't see how I could have reinstalled it incorrectly.

Anyone else remember an issue like this and how they resolved it?

Back